What could Oliver's elevated white blood cell count be?

  • Jill
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
      My Oliver is 14, and has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and congestive
      heart failure. He is on 15-20 mg/day diltiazem for the former and
      10mg/day furosemide for the latter. He is nine months post-diagnosis.

      In his last blood workup (about 6 weeks ago), he had an elevated
      white blood cell count, so the vet put him on 1 ml Clavamox
      (antibiotic) 2x/day for two weeks (two cycles of antibiotic). He had
      another blood workup 1-1/2 weeks ago, and it seems his white cell
      count is still elevated. The vet wants to take another blood test in
      2 weeks.

      Before the white cell count was found, Oliver had been going off his
      food, and would only eat baby food. In a kitty of his age with heart
      disease, it's easy to chalk it up to "He's starting to go downhill."
      Three days into the first cycle of antibiotic, he was miserable.
      Slept all day, his ear tips were hot. Day 4, he started eating cat
      food again, and he's been of normal appetite ever since. This is
      important, because his huge appetite has helped us keep his weight
      up. His energy level is mostly quite good -- he's social and his old
      self for the most part.

      So my question is this: What else could this elevated white blood
      cell count be? Any ideas? He is an indoor cat, and the vet has put
      him on a 3-year cycle of all his vaccines, so as not to
      overvaccinate.

      Thoughts?

      Thanks,

      Jill
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000

        I'm a complete amateur here, but for people

        In the blood of a patient with chronic lymphocytic leukemia,
        white cell count is abnormally high.

        I have no idea whether cats can get this disease.

        BTW: is the red blood count low?

        --
        JR
        & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
          Jill,

          Lucky's WBC was high when she was having a bout of IBD. Is Oliver vomiting
          or does he have diarrhea?

          Laura