Lucky's dental is off; she's diabetic again

  • Laura Penny
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2000
      Someone told me, "Once a diabetic, always a diabetic." I didn't believe her.

      Lucky's presurgical bloodwork shows her BG is 406, which is so high above
      normal it couldn't be stress induced. She had transient diabetes 3 years ago
      that lasted 6 months.

      Her kidneys aren't bad, with a BUN of 22 and a creatinine of 2. Her UA
      showed a specific gravity of 1.026, so she's still in early CRF, but she had
      a trace of blood and was spilling sugar.

      I had obviously mistaken her back-leg wobbliness as arthritis (not
      neuropathy) and the excessive peeing as being from two early CRF cats (not
      one diabetic cat).

      I'm bummed. I'm going to feed her, then pick up the insulin and start it
      today.

      Laura, Lucky and Kassy