Coenzyme Q10

  • adventure_mouse
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
      Hi all,

      I joined the list last month after my ginger boy Byron was diagnosed
      with HCM. He's doing much better now & has settled down on the meds
      nicely, although it's been a bit of a battle to get him to eat as
      much as he used to & his energy level has dropped. I can get coenzyme
      Q10 from my pharmacy & I'd like to start him on it to hopefully give
      him a boost & help his health generally, but my vet knows nothing
      about it (?) so can anyone tell me what dosage is good for cats & how
      often it's given?

      Love & good health to all the HCM pusses out there & their loving
      owners,

      Kiah & Byron :o)
    • soupbone7420
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2002
        Bob takes 1 30mg capsule of COQ10 once a day.

        Lots of Kitty Kisses,
        Myra & Bob

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "adventure_mouse" <adventure_mouse@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I joined the list last month after my ginger boy Byron was
        diagnosed
        > with HCM. He's doing much better now & has settled down on the
        meds
        > nicely, although it's been a bit of a battle to get him to eat as
        > much as he used to & his energy level has dropped. I can get
        coenzyme
        > Q10 from my pharmacy & I'd like to start him on it to hopefully
        give
        > him a boost & help his health generally, but my vet knows nothing
        > about it (?) so can anyone tell me what dosage is good for cats &
        how
        > often it's given?
        >
        > Love & good health to all the HCM pusses out there & their loving
        > owners,
        >
        > Kiah & Byron :o)
      • mooncat41
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
          Hi,

          Does anyone have any experience with supplementing Coenzyme Q10 for
          a cat with dilated cardiomyopathy? He's on Lasix and Enalapril
          right now.

          Thanks,
          Catherine, Chulo & Basil in spirit
        • Bab006@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30 1:47 PM
            Ok, I am nervous about giving my cat this. My vet is not into anything non
            traditional. My cat has restrictive cardiomyopathy and is doing GREAT (knock
            on wood) and my vet is all about if what is working now don't change it. I
            am not the type to wait and see if I can prevent something now. He takes
            enalapril, digoxin and lasix and has outlived his prognosis over 3.5 months now.
            Would you start the CoQ10 to leave things the way they are? Are there any
            side effects? All his tests came back normal last visit?

            Bridget Bailey (bab0066vpy)
            Visit my Ebay Store for Vintage and Unique Items
            _eBay Store - 0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0: On Sale, Free Shipping,
            Puzzles_ (http://stores.ebay.com/0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0)

          • Belinda Sauro
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 30 1:55 PM
              I don't think the CoQ10 would hurt him, all of my cats get it as a
              supplement. Just don't go over 30mg a day. I put it in the raw food
              they get.

              --
              Belinda
              Happiness is being owned by cats ...

              Be-Mi-Kitties ...
              http://www.bemikitties.com

              http://adopt.bemikitties.com

              FeLV Candle Light Service
              http://www.bemikitties.com/cls

              HostDesign4U.com (affordable hosting & web design)
              http://HostDesign4U.com

              -----------

              BMK Designs (non-profit web sites)
              http://bmk.bemikitties.com
            • adawson1971@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 30 2:00 PM
                My vet figured out the dosage for my cat. He was, at 18lbs, on 75mg a
                day. My vet told me I could use the 100 mg capsules if I couldn't find
                the smaller dose since the excess would not be used by the body and
                excereted (in the urine, I think, but don't recall exactly.)

                I believe I also saw a post recently where someone was giving 120mg a
                day.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
                  Hi Bridget,

                  Many vets aren't into anything non-traditional, and in some ways,
                  nervousness can be a good thing. We're often so desparate to do something,
                  ANYTHING, to help our kitties that we need a reminder that rushing into
                  stuff without understanding what we're doing isn't the answer.

                  Coezyme q10 is made naturally in the body, and is a critical component of
                  the electron transport chain/oxidative phosphorylation, the metabolic
                  pathway which provides most of the energy to cells. It's also non-toxic in
                  any normal dose (too much of anything can be harmful) and there is
                  significant literature which suggests it is very beneficial to humans with
                  similar conditions. There are some studies which find it doesn't do any
                  good, but there are no studies I'm aware of that indicate it does any kind
                  of harm. There are also veterinary studies which suggest, strongly, that
                  cardiac disease can be modulated by nutrition. I have a bunch of papers on
                  the subject, if you'd like them to show to your vet, email me off the list
                  and I'll send them your way.

                  You're not talking about taking him off his meds and treating him
                  exclusively with q10 -- the q10 is an adjunct therapy. In fairness to your
                  vet, he may not have understood that this is what was meant. The q10 will
                  not interfere with his meds, there's no side effects (other than the
                  possibility of a mildly upset tummy, which is true for any dietary change in
                  a cat). The worst that is likely to happen is no effect at all and a slight
                  ding in your pocketbook.

                  If I were you, I'd try it, BUT ... your comfort level is important here. I'm
                  the world's biggest q10 proponent, but frankly, if your kitty is doing fine
                  without it AND the idea of giving it to him is giving you the
                  heebie-jeebies, then it's not worth the stress to you. Heck, I'm the one who
                  refused to bring her kitty into the vet until his one-year anniversary had
                  passed because of sheer superstition :)

                  Lisa

                  --
                  Lisa Clarizia