RE: [FH] Spironolactone vs. Lasix/Furosemide

  • Karen LeBlanc
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
      Bailey has been on Lasix since June when he was diagnosed with HCM after his
      lungs were full of fluid. The lasix helps keep the fluid from building up
      in the lungs. He took it twice a day at first and now only once a day. So
      far his breathing has remained normal. I don't have any experience with
      spironolactone.
      -Karen
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
        Greetings Tori and Jcee!

        I have used both...Muffin had CRF most of his adult life and so
        when his HCM was diagnosed we knew we were going to have to watch his
        fluids and his potassium. He was on Tumil-K and suq Qs and that worked
        very well for about a year and a half.

        Then he started to develop fluid in his abdomen (called Ascites)
        and he was re-diagnosed to "end stage" CHF...I was
        devastated...but with all his excellent vet care and the support of
        this group we got 6 more wonderful months together...which doesn't
        sound like much, but we made the most of it and had a really wonderful
        , extrodinary time together....it's a hell of a roller coaster, but
        every effort is worth it because each day of good life is so very
        precious.

        He went on the Lasix and we also tried various other heart
        meds...Norvasc and Lotensin added to his Atenelol which he had already
        been taking since the HCM Dx. After reading all about the Lasix I
        began to become terrified for his kidneys as we were no longer doing
        any subQs....I thought the spironolactone would be a better choice....

        My vet consulted with the Cardio and he approved of trying it, but
        I have to say that for us, it did not work so well..Muffin was quite
        old and already had issues with constipation...the Spiro made things
        MUCH worse and he seemed unhappy and withdrawn while on it...we tried
        it for a week to 10 days, but since it did help reduce his ascites we
        changed back to the Lasix. Also, he had gotten Tumil K most of his
        adult life and we had to withdraw it while on the spironolactone...I
        don't know if that alone made Muffin feel worse of if it was the
        medicine itself...

        Muffin's kidney numbers went up a bit after we atarted all this
        treatment, but after about 2 months things started to improve,
        numberwise and his creatnine actually began to fall so this was great
        news.. He was already feeling/acting better after going back to the
        Lasix. Very occassionally, when he hadn't pooped regularly enough or
        if he seemed dehydrated, I'd give him 50-75 ml subqs but ONLY with the
        vets approval. Often this small amount was enough to help him feel
        better and have a good poop.

        The lasix increased his thirst a lot and I made sure to have
        several bowls of water around for him to be able to easily get a drink
        whenever he wanted. I raised the bowls up to his chest height to make
        it easier. Every day the water got changed and I also added a few
        drops of Dandilion extract (for kidney) and Milk Thistle extract (for
        liver) to all his water...he eventually got used to the taste and even
        preferred it..."straight" water was now rejected! :-) HIs vet and I
        believe that the Lasix kept the fluids from building up in and around
        his lungs...this never was much of a problem for Muffin, and was no
        problem after starting the Lasix. The Lasix did not seem to decrease
        the ascites however and for that we did "taps" with a needle to
        withdraw the fluids.

        I know some other folks who have kitties with more advanced CRF
        have used the Spironolactone ans it has worked well for them...each
        case is different....and each kitties reaction is going to be
        different. For us the Lasix worked much better. I hope this helps and
        I wish you all the very, very best for you and Jcee.

        Sally

        --- In feline-heart@y..., tori <tori@o...> wrote:
        > can someone who has used both/either explain to me the benefits or
        drawbacks
        > of one or the other and whether or not their cat had trouble
        breathing
        > before using it that was resolved afterwards?
        >
        > thanks
        > tori and jcee
      • Lynnie Henderson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
          Freckles has used only Lasix. She has been on it since January and her lungs
          are clear.
          Lynnie

        • reallyrosiebooks@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
            In a message dated 9/9/2002 9:57:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            kleblanc@... writes:

            I also have experience with Lasix. Tyson was on it immediately upon diagnosis
            and it helped but when we got his initial BUN and Creat levels back they were
            really really high. We than took him off it and started tapping him every 2
            weeks. When we got the bloodwork back the next time his levels returned to
            normal so we put him on the lasix to avoid frequent tapping. He was on the
            liquid 2ml once a day and bumped to twice. He has been doing very well on
            that dose but we will have to test his blood in a few weeks to check on the
            kidneys. I don't have any experience with the Spironalactone. Hope your cat
            does well on whichever is chosen.

            /\_/\
            (>'o'<)
            Heather "Rose"
            "Tomorrow is a fresh day, with no mistakes in it."
            - Anne of Green Gables
            Forever Kindred Spirits