RE: [FH] New to Group

  • Karen LeBlanc
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 4, 2002
      Welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about the loss of your Targa. I will
      be hoping for good news on Pacino this Friday.
      -Karen
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 4, 2002
        So sorry to hear that you lost Targa. My heart goes out to you.

        Please keep me posted on Pacino's test results.
        Welcome to the group. This is a great bunch of people.

        Christy & Precious

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "targa66" <sgorove@g...> wrote:
        > Hi all - I'm new to this newsgroups thing, so I was thrilled to
        find
        > one dealing with this subject. Just over two weeks ago, I lost my
        > wonderful cat friend of 17 years, Targa, to a blood clot in the
        aorta
        > leading to his back legs (I think it's referred to as a "saddle
        > thrombus"). I took my other cat, Pacino (13 yrs. old), to the vet
        > this weekend for an overdue checkup & found he has a murmur and
        > a "slightly" enlarged heart. I've got an echo scheduled for Pacino
        > this Fri., so I'm crossing my fingers & saying my prayers. The
        info
        > & support on this group is great - I'll be checking in often.
      • targa66
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 4, 2002
          Thanks to all for the welcomes and the condolences for my Targa. I'm
          not sure how long it will take to get Pacino's results from the
          echocardiogram - needless to say, I just really want to know Pacino's
          condition ASAP. I'll definitely post the minute I get info - I
          expect I'll have a lot of questions, and I'm so glad to have found
          this group to help answer them!
          -Shelly

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "christyandpresh" <christyandpresh@y...>
          wrote:
          > So sorry to hear that you lost Targa. My heart goes out to you.
          >
          > Please keep me posted on Pacino's test results.
          > Welcome to the group. This is a great bunch of people.
          >
          > Christy & Precious
          >

          > --- In feline-heart@y..., "targa66" <sgorove@g...> wrote:
          > > Hi all - I'm new to this newsgroups thing, so I was thrilled to
          > find
          > > one dealing with this subject. Just over two weeks ago, I lost
          my
          > > wonderful cat friend of 17 years, Targa, to a blood clot in the
          > aorta
          > > leading to his back legs (I think it's referred to as a "saddle
          > > thrombus"). I took my other cat, Pacino (13 yrs. old), to the
          vet
          > > this weekend for an overdue checkup & found he has a murmur and
          > > a "slightly" enlarged heart. I've got an echo scheduled for
          Pacino
          > > this Fri., so I'm crossing my fingers & saying my prayers. The
          > info
          > > & support on this group is great - I'll be checking in often.
        • castawaycritters
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
            I am new to this group - my cat Olivia was just diagnosed with
            cardiomyopathy. She did have problems breathing and had fluid on the
            lungs. They are recommending I bring her home to reduce stress, but
            indicated the following:

            1. She is at risk of dying a sudden death at any moment.
            2. It is perhaps because she did not get enough taurine. The cat is
            very thin and has not eaten well all her life - she only weighs 6
            pounds. They are perscibing a taurine supplement. I saw Olivia eat
            dry catfood, but I did supplement with other things because I could
            not get her to eat. The additional food was added when she had an
            episode at one point where she passed out and had to be taken to the
            vet - apparently because of not eating. Now, I wonder if there was a
            problem with her heart then.
            3. The medications may keep her alive anywhere from 3 days to a
            month.

            They did send an ultrasound to a cardiologist to read to get these
            results. At this point, I just feel really afraid and guilty like I
            have not taken good care of her. Boy, this is miserable.

            Barb
          • Debbie Raikes-May
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
              Dear Barb
              This is not your fault. You will hear similar stories from many of us. I only joined this group three weeks ago. My cat Treacle, is 15. She too is diagnosed with HCM and she has bad arthritis.
              The thing with cats is...........they don't do pain. They are able to cover up for ages that there is anything wrong and it isn't until it is SOOOOO obvious that you can see anything. For me, it was when Treacle collapsed one evening and had a sort of fit. I though she had been poisoned but she had gone from a grade 1 heart murmur to a grade 4 in a week ( 1 is quite usual for an old cat)........she wasn't even being checked out for heart disease, she was being treated for arthritis and it wasn't until she threw this wobbler that we knew anything about it.

              No one could be a more vigilant owner than me...she and her sister have pretty much been my life for the past 15 years and I notice every cough, sneeze, whisker out of place.
              And I didn't know a thing.

              So I understand JUST how you feel.

              I too was told she could have an attack and die any minute (true - but then, on balance, so could a lot of us!) I too was told anything from three days to three years!! This sort of info data is more to cover the Vet I have found, than to help the owner.
              Three weeks later Treacle is eating again (she lost eight pounds after she had a fight with a feral which resulted in septic arthritis and we think the arthritis drugs triggered the heart problem) but to get her to eat like you, I had to supplement her food, I gave her prawns, chicken breast, liver in small amounts....figuring if she was going to die anyway I wanted her quality of life to be high and she wasn't happy just eating dry food.

              I also found a homeopathic vet who prescribed flower and herbal essences to support her digestive system against the drugs which are a bit abrasive...HyperCard 10 and Prednisolone. He practices online in the UK and I can give you his email but if you are in the USA you probably have someone there of your own?

              The main thing I have found is to keep asking for the data and don't get fobbed off. How old is your cat? Above all, don't panic if you can help....it is a scary disease but the good thing is that it is evident now, rather than being a silent killer and there are things available which can prolong life in a happy format...no guarantees about how long but not even us humans have that.

              Keep posting as this site is a tremendous source of data and help.............keep asking your vet if you are worried over anything. When do you next go to the cardiologist? Above all it is NOT your fault. It is sadly, just the luck of the draw and no more than that.
              Best wishes
              Debbie and Treacle and Kippurr
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Susan
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                Barb,

                The good news is that if it is a taurine deficiency
                cardiomyopathy, then it is reversible. Taurine
                deficiency cardiomyopathy is usually dilated rather
                than hypertrophic. Don't feel bad about not knowing
                about the taurine requirement, unless you've read
                about cat cardiology it's not something the average
                person knows about.

                Susan

                http://platinum.yahoo.com
              • castawaycritters@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                  If it is taurine deficiency, how long would it be before I would see results?
                  They are not sure about this so I am wondering how I would know if the
                  supplement was having a positive effect.

                  Thanks,
                  Barb

                • Jonathan Rosenberg
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                    Barb,

                    I am so sorry that you need to be here & I'm sorry to hear about Olivia's
                    condition.

                    A few thoughts:

                    1) You should know more when you get the cardiologist's report. I believe that
                    having a cardiologist read her ultrasound is the best diagnostic tool there is.

                    2) It is rare for cats to be taurine-deficient today because all commercial cat
                    food has plenty of taurine. That said, it does happen & it can't hurt to
                    supplement with taurine.

                    I believe that the cardiologist should be able to tell you more about this. In
                    particular, I believe that there is a particular heart shape that is indicative
                    of taurine-deficiency.

                    3) As far as dying a sudden death ... well, the truth is that every living thing
                    lives with that possibility. Yes, Olivia's situation may be more precarious,
                    but that's only a guess & statistics.

                    4) Don't feel guilty. It's so easy to do & we all do it. But it's a complete
                    waste of time.

                    --
                    Jonathan Rosenberg
                    Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger,

                  • bcowell
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                      Dear Barb,
                      Don't feel so bad about yourself, you were not to know that Olivia
                      needed additional taurine, it's not well-known that if a cat doesn't
                      eat "catfood" then they need a supplement. It may not be to blame
                      anyway, she may have developed a heart problem anyway. Heart disease
                      is not fair and it is not logical.
                      I know it is frustrating to hear that Olivia might die suddenly, but
                      remember that there is no way the vet can tell the future. Her heart
                      is not well and so could fail. But you are doing all you can for her,
                      and all you can do is try and help her now you know what the problem
                      is.
                      Did they prescribe medication for the fluid on the lungs? That should
                      help her feel better.
                      The taurine supplement will likely take a few months to show any
                      improvement in the heart, but if this is what is causing the
                      cardiomyopathy you are lucky. This type seems to be reversible and so
                      it can be helped! I think you should see improvement sooner than
                      months though, but I am sure the cardiologist could give you a better
                      idea of when you could expect.
                      My best wishes to you and Olivia!
                      Brigitte

                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "castawaycritters"
                      <castawaycritters@a...> wrote:
                      > I am new to this group - my cat Olivia was just diagnosed with
                      > cardiomyopathy. She did have problems breathing and had fluid on
                      the
                      > lungs. They are recommending I bring her home to reduce stress,
                      but
                      > indicated the following:
                      >
                      > 1. She is at risk of dying a sudden death at any moment.
                      > 2. It is perhaps because she did not get enough taurine. The cat
                      is
                      > very thin and has not eaten well all her life - she only weighs 6
                      > pounds. They are perscibing a taurine supplement. I saw Olivia
                      eat
                      > dry catfood, but I did supplement with other things because I could
                      > not get her to eat. The additional food was added when she had an
                      > episode at one point where she passed out and had to be taken to
                      the
                      > vet - apparently because of not eating. Now, I wonder if there was
                      > problem with her heart then.
                      > 3. The medications may keep her alive anywhere from 3 days to a
                      > month.
                      >
                      > They did send an ultrasound to a cardiologist to read to get these
                      > results. At this point, I just feel really afraid and guilty like
                      > have not taken good care of her. Boy, this is miserable.
                      >
                      > Barb
                    • Sheila Monti

                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                          Olivia is 8. It does give me some hope to know that some cats make it
                          through - though right now I am having trouble making it through the work day
                          where I have to be around people a lot. The words "3 days to one month at
                          best" continue to haunt me. Maybe once I start doing something about the
                          problem, I will feel better. It sounded like the remote cardiologist report
                          wasn't as detailed as what you folks are talking about by what my vet said.
                          I am thinking that maybe I should take her to a specialist if she makes it
                          through the next couple of days and starts eating again. Though it has never
                          been easy to get her to eat anything under the best of circumstances. So, I
                          am very worried about it.

                          I am going to attempt to get myself together and take one moment at a time.
                          I haven't felt this bad since one of my own sybs died.

                          Thanks for your supportive words. It does help.

                          Barb

                        • Susan
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                            --- castawaycritters@... wrote:

                            > I am thinking that maybe I should take her to a
                            > specialist if she makes it
                            > through the next couple of days and starts eating
                            > again. Though it has never
                            > been easy to get her to eat anything under the best
                            > of circumstances. So, I
                            > am very worried about it.

                            Ask your vet for some Hills Science Diet AD and place
                            a dab on her front paw. If she is grooming she should
                            lick it off. AD is pecifically for sick and anorectic
                            cats. I found the following article on VIN. It's meant
                            for vets so can be hard to understand but there are
                            some good suggestions.

                            http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00168.htm

                            Susan

                            =====

                            http://platinum.yahoo.com
                          • Ioana & Gabriel
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 20, 2011
                              Hello all!

                              I'm very new to this group, and have read quite a few of the postings. My baby Piperus, has been diagnosed with moderate Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, with normal blood pressure. (All this while our other baby, Pepe, was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure, and struggled. Unfortunately, we lost Pepe early Sunday morning.)
                              Still grieving, I decided to join this group to ensure we do as much as we can for Piperus.
                              The vet has been very helpful and explained the condition, and she prescribed Atenolol once a day, recommending a check up in three months.

                              My questions to you are:
                              - what should I be asking the vet on our next visit?
                              - Piperus is skittish and easily startled by noises, car rides and vet visits are especially stressful to him. Would you recommend home visits or light sedative (Valium)? How would it interfere with Atenolol?
                              - What other supplemments did you find useful?
                              - He is a bit overweight (18 lbs w/ large frame), and we are encouraging more activity in the yard, is weight a contributor?
                              - What signs should I be on the lookout for?

                              Anyway, I'll be following the messages. All the best to you and your kitties!

                              Ioana
                            • Ioana Boie
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 20, 2011
                                Hi Suze,

                                Thank you for your warm welcome!
                                I'm sorry to hear about your two babies, I hope they are well and happy as long
                                as possible.
                                Piperus is 10 years old, and we adopted him from Italy, from someone who found
                                his pregnant mommy on the streets. Piperus has always been very skittish, but
                                sweet once he gets used to people's presence and voices. We have moved a lot,
                                about 8 times since we've had him, including once across the Atlantic, and then
                                Florida to Texas. He has been getting more and more distressed with every move,
                                so we are trying to stay put for a while now, and to offer him a little
                                stability.
                                Piperus is on Atenolol 6.25mg/ once daily, and a heart ultrasound has confirmed
                                that his murmur was HCM.

                                Hope this information provides you with a better picture. I also attached a
                                picture of Piperus, our handsome sweet baby.

                                Thank you all for the support and wish you and furry friends all the best!

                                Ioana

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 21, 2011
                                  I do believe that once a cat has heart disease they are more affected by stress. My cat Max did 8 round trips to mexico from San Francisco and he did fine (after the first one) with all of them. But, after the last 3 or 4, when he had the heart disease, I was noticing that he wasn't himself for about 2 months after the trip...I think it took him that long to recover from the stress of travel. He was a very mellow cat and never objected to whatever we put in front of him, but I think his system was compromised and he just had a harder time of bouncing back from a big trip, so you may be onto something. Good luck with your boy...Judi and Angel Max
                                  PS: even for humans with heart disease, air travel is hard...the oxygen levels are not 100% of what we have on the ground and the heart has to work harder

                                  To: suzewinn@...
                                  CC: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 21, 2011
                                    I gotta agree.........simple things like giving a bath which never bothered Jinx before, seemed to stress him more and he was not himself for quite a while. Any change in routine also seemed to affect him.......

                                    Cathy

                                  • LorieAHuston@cs.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 21, 2011
                                      I definitely have to agree with that. We try to keep stress levels to a minimum with any cat with heart disease.

                                      We're really just beginning to understand the profound effects that stress can have on our pets, even on healthy pets. And many people don't realize how even very simple things can be stressful for a cat...things like a change in his people's routines or work schedules, visitors in the house, rearranging furniture in the house, even seeing something disagreeable outside (whether that be another cat or some other type of animal or something that frightens them), all of those things are stressful for some cats. And what bothers one cat may not bother another one, so you really have to know your own cat's personality and normal routine to be able to notice the sometimes subtle changes that stress can cause in their behavior. Of course, sometimes the signs are not so subtle, such as when a cat decides to not use the litter box :)

                                      Stress has even been linked to interstitial cystitis in cats. In other words, stress can cause urinary tract disease. Some veterinarians (and I agree with them) believe this type of condition is probably actually a systemic condition that affects the entire body but the symptoms that affect the urinary tract are more easily noticed than many of the other effects. So, it's not a huge reach to believe that stress can affect the heart, especially for a cat that already has heart disease.

                                      Lorie Huston, DVM
                                      Pet Health Care Gazette (http://www.pet-health-care-gazette.com)