[FH] Re: Catnip answer

  • stxchck
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2002
      Actually you are correct, I researched it this weekend since my cat
      is newly diagnosed I am reading everything I can find. The actual
      chemical released in catnip, nepetalactone, while not a stimulant
      itself, can produce stimulated reactions in felines. One of two
      reactions can happen in cats - a euphoric / aphrodisiac reaction that
      makes them act "high" and wild, or a type of hallucination effect
      which creates that dopey feeling. So either your cat gets wild or
      rolls around in a daze. Nepetalactone is comparible to what humans
      know as valerian which was a sedative used in the old ages. Humans do
      not get the high part of a buzz from catnip, only the seditary
      effects. But your cat can. So basically do what you feel is good for
      you kitty. If he doesn't get wild I don't see any harm in the
      occasional dose, and my vet said that as well. If he is the kind that
      gets insane, like my cat, then you probably don't want to stimulate
      him. And, research shows only 20% of cats even react to nip so your
      cat might not even be affected. See petco.com for some quick facts.

      --- In feline-heart@y..., Lynnie Henderson <lynnie_henderson@m...>