Re: [FH] New /need help with aspirin

  • Pam Vojtas
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
      Hi Carol and Henry,

      Maggie has to take 6 meds each morning and 4 in the evening. Pills were a
      nightmare (very depressing to find three pills in your lap a 1/2 hour
      *after* the struggle). We have been using a method that works best for us w/
      our Vets approval (you must make sure there are no interactions between the
      different meds). Maggie's three pills (fortunately all small and easily
      crushable: 1/2 Enalapril, 1/6 Cypro, 1/4 Pepcid) are ground in a shot glass
      w/ a heavy pestle. The liquid meds (.5 CCs ea of Lasix and Pettinic and Vit
      B supplements) are added, along w/ 3-5 drops of melted unsalted butter (this
      adds more liquid, more calories and seems to control Maggie's hairball
      vomiting problem). Draw it up into a preferably-new 1 CC syringe (we're into
      our second bag of 75 syringes - at 15 cents each this is a small price to
      pay). In a second syringe (this one can be reused several times) I slurp up
      about .5 CCs of water.

      I wrap Mags up in a towel to control the right hook :), tilt her head back
      slightly and do 2 to 3 squirts (in the side of the mouth) for the meds,
      followed by a squirt or two of water. Its over in a flash. At first, it took
      two of us to get 7 lb Maggie to cooperate, but now I can do it all by myself
      (to my husband's delight).

      BTW, I originally was adding baby food, but that just added more squirts. We
      both agree that just getting this over is a better goal, since no amount of
      good stuff masked the yucky taste.

      Good luck to you and Henry!

      Pam and Maggie May

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
        In a message dated 9/3/2002 7:25:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        clport@... writes:

        > Exactly
        > how is CoQ10 supposed to benefit the kitty? My vet has heard about
        > using it, but wants to know more before we try it. Thanks in advance

        I am going to defer to the experts on the biological beneifts of c0q10 but
        let me tell you I don't know if its coincidence or not but shortly after we
        started my Tyson on it he has been doing really well. My vet didn't know
        much about it and researched it enough to feel confident that it could not
        help. IT has been proven very effective in humans and I think studies are
        still out on animals but from what I hear from others it seems to work well.
        I know you will get better feedback from the group about what it actually
        does and I hope it works for you!

        /\_/\
        (>'o'<)
        Heather "Rose"
        "Tomorrow is a fresh day, with no mistakes in it."
        - Anne of Green Gables
        Forever Kindred Spirits

      • gussielou49
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2002
          sorry about double-post...I thought the 1st didn't go thru so I had
          to retype & resend...I should've waited...
          -steph