Re: New /need help with aspirin

  • gussielou49
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
      Hi Carol. Sorry to hear about Henry. You've come to the right place
      for extremely supportive people and lots of helpful information.

      Aspirin cannot be compounded into liquid...it is unstable in a liquid
      form. We looked into that, too. We had to give Gus 81mg every 3
      days so we would buy adult strength aspirin and quarter it using a
      pill splitter so the pieces were much smaller to get down. You could
      also use a pill pusher. Another idea is to crush it and mix it w/
      food, although Gus wouldn't fall for that. When we would give it to
      Gus, we would give him his liquid enalapril and then some water
      (syringe)after that to help it go down. He's no longer on aspirin.
      He's on another blood thinner, enoxaparin.
      We just started Gus on CoQ10. I think many people on this board give
      it to their cats.
      Here's a link w/ some info. on it:
      http://www.drschoen.com/articles_L2_13_.html

      Good luck and keep us posted on Henry's progress.
      Take care, Steph & Gus

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "clport" <clport@y...> wrote:
      > Hello, List. We are new to the group and have really learned a lot
      > already from reading the archives. Henry was diagnosed just last
      > Friday with moderate HCM and the vet put him on time-release
      > diltiazem once per day. We'll, Henry didn't like that plan and has
      > fought me tooth and nail over his med. I've tried everything I can
      > think of. So today I found a local pharmacy who will make the
      > diltiazem into chicken-flavored liquid form. This will not be the
      > time-release form because you loose the sustanined action
      properties
      > when you liquify that form. So, we will give Henry a dose in the
      > morning and another dose in the evening. My question to the group
      > is, does anyone know if aspirin comes in liquid? I liked the
      > suggestion of one list member of pulling up the med in a syringe
      and
      > then filling the remainder with baby food, so the cat gets the baby
      > food from the syringe first then the med follows. Just wondering if
      > I can find liquid aspirin. Oh, I do have another question. Exactly
      > how is CoQ10 supposed to benefit the kitty? My vet has heard about
      > using it, but wants to know more before we try it. Thanks in
      advance
      > for your help.
      > Carol and Henry
      > DSH/5 years old
    • Karen LeBlanc
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
        Hi Carol:
        Sorry to hear about Henry. Yes, it can be very hard to medicate kitties.
        My Bailey was impossible to pill also. I give him liquid lasix once a day
        and liquid Diltiazem twice a day (I am using Fish flavor). As for the
        aspirin, I just crush it up and mix it in some can food or I just put in
        with the other meds in the syringe. If you can find a can food Henry
        likes, you can mix all the meds in just enough food to disguise the taste.
        This works most of the time with Bailey but sometimes he doesn't eat it so I
        just use the syringe. Good luck and keep us posted.
        -Karen
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor