Re: [FH] Re: Catnip answer

  • Lynnie Henderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
      This seems a little strange since catnip is a sedative. Catnip tea is
      actually an insomnia cure!

    • christyandpresh
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
        When I give actual catnip to my cats they just roll and roll and then
        knock out for a nice snooze. I do agree it sorts of calms them down
        after the initial rolling.....

        :) Christy & Presh

        --- In feline-heart@y..., Lynnie Henderson <lynnie_henderson@m...>
        wrote:
        > This seems a little strange since catnip is a sedative. Catnip tea
        is
        > actually an insomnia cure!

      • stxchck
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2002
          Actually you are correct, I researched it this weekend since my cat
          is newly diagnosed I am reading everything I can find. The actual
          chemical released in catnip, nepetalactone, while not a stimulant
          itself, can produce stimulated reactions in felines. One of two
          reactions can happen in cats - a euphoric / aphrodisiac reaction that
          makes them act "high" and wild, or a type of hallucination effect
          which creates that dopey feeling. So either your cat gets wild or
          rolls around in a daze. Nepetalactone is comparible to what humans
          know as valerian which was a sedative used in the old ages. Humans do
          not get the high part of a buzz from catnip, only the seditary
          effects. But your cat can. So basically do what you feel is good for
          you kitty. If he doesn't get wild I don't see any harm in the
          occasional dose, and my vet said that as well. If he is the kind that
          gets insane, like my cat, then you probably don't want to stimulate
          him. And, research shows only 20% of cats even react to nip so your
          cat might not even be affected. See petco.com for some quick facts.