Catnip answer

  • stxchck
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
      Last week some of us were asking about catnip, I talked to my vet and
      they did not recommend giving a HCM cat catnip. They didn't say
      never, ever but just that its not the best choice in treats because
      it does escalate the heart rate.
    • christyandpresh
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
        Thanks for the catnip info. I think I will refrain from giving them
        catnip outright, but will still let them play with a few toys that
        have some catnip in them. Actual catnip seems to "rev" them up the
        most. I don't notice a big change in them just from playing with
        their toys (which probably have catnip that has lost its zest).

        Christy & Presh :)

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "stxchck" <stxchck@y...> wrote:
        > Last week some of us were asking about catnip, I talked to my vet
        and
        > they did not recommend giving a HCM cat catnip. They didn't say
        > never, ever but just that its not the best choice in treats because
        > it does escalate the heart rate.
      • Lynnie Henderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
          This seems a little strange since catnip is a sedative. Catnip tea is
          actually an insomnia cure!

        • christyandpresh
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
            When I give actual catnip to my cats they just roll and roll and then
            knock out for a nice snooze. I do agree it sorts of calms them down
            after the initial rolling.....

            :) Christy & Presh

            --- In feline-heart@y..., Lynnie Henderson <lynnie_henderson@m...>
            wrote:
            > This seems a little strange since catnip is a sedative. Catnip tea
            is
            > actually an insomnia cure!

          • stxchck
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2002
              Actually you are correct, I researched it this weekend since my cat
              is newly diagnosed I am reading everything I can find. The actual
              chemical released in catnip, nepetalactone, while not a stimulant
              itself, can produce stimulated reactions in felines. One of two
              reactions can happen in cats - a euphoric / aphrodisiac reaction that
              makes them act "high" and wild, or a type of hallucination effect
              which creates that dopey feeling. So either your cat gets wild or
              rolls around in a daze. Nepetalactone is comparible to what humans
              know as valerian which was a sedative used in the old ages. Humans do
              not get the high part of a buzz from catnip, only the seditary
              effects. But your cat can. So basically do what you feel is good for
              you kitty. If he doesn't get wild I don't see any harm in the
              occasional dose, and my vet said that as well. If he is the kind that
              gets insane, like my cat, then you probably don't want to stimulate
              him. And, research shows only 20% of cats even react to nip so your
              cat might not even be affected. See petco.com for some quick facts.