Boo Boo is breathing too fast. Help !!!!!

  • earina613@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2000
      Hi

      I was so happy to email you Boo Boo's update she was doing great until a few
      min ago when I tried to force feed her. She didn't eat much today so I tried
      to force feed her, she fougth with me and I gave up. She is laying no
      cuttled into a circle and brathing very fast. Her whole body is moving b/c
      of her breathing. I just gave her 1/2 lasix about an hour ago. What should
      I do????
      should I or can I make some dandellian tea for her????
      or give her hawthorn or cayenne????
      Please help me????

      How can I help her, she's been doing great til now, when I tried to foce feed
      her. I'm so sorry that I did, I should have just left her alone and let her
      sleep, but I wanted to get some food into her somehow and the syrenge was my
      only option. Could it be that she is stressed b/c I force fed her about
      30min ago???
      should I give her some time and see if she gets better or should I give her
      dandellian tea?????
      how long should it take a cat to come down???
      please help me!!!!!

      -Irina and Boo BOo

      URL to My Boo Boo's site !
      http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/hummingbird/210/index.htm
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 17, 2000

        It takes a little while for lasix to take effect. According to
        http://www.marvistavet.com/html/furosemide.html:

        Urination is usually seen within 30 minutes of the
        administration of an oral dose of furosemide. The drug peaks
        in strength after 1-2 hours after it is given orally.

        > How can I help her, she's been doing great til now, when I tried
        > to foce feed her. I'm so sorry that I did, I should have just
        > left her alone and let her sleep, but I wanted to get some food
        > into her somehow and the syrenge was my only option. Could it be
        > that she is stressed b/c I force fed her about 30min ago???
        > should I give her some time and see if she gets better or should
        > I give her dandellian tea????? how long should it take a cat to
        > come down??? please help me!!!!!

        If you have an emergency # you can call for advice, I would do that right
        away & tell them what's happened.

        I'm not a vet, but it does sound like you stressed her. It would be too
        much of a coincidence that she started having trouble right after you force
        fed her. Although she's been doing so well, her heart is still diseased &
        can be easily over-taxed.

        Is her breathing getting any better over time?

        --
        JR
        & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx