Animal Control Need-To-Know Info

  • Lisa/kat
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31 1:52 PM
      This is excellent information posted in another group to which I belong. I
      ve posted it here with permission from the author of the original post.

      Hugz, and happy Labor Day to all who celebrate it,

      Lisa/kat
      >^..^<

      This week's contests (8/19-8/24):
      1) http://www.cocoscastle.com Daily vote for Kasidy, up to five email addy
      s!!

      and please cast some votes for my site, The Alley Mews!
      My one-stop voting page is:
      http://www.geocities.com/thealleymews/vote.html (M-F only!) Closed Monday!!

      New site is up and running, and will be ready for the Fantasy Fights by
      Tuesday!
      http://www.geocities.com/johnsgift

      "Love is a flower, friendship, a sheltering tree."

      "Trust is the most valuable thing you'll ever earn."

      --- In alleycatsoftheworld@y..., "kuhio98" <kuhio@p...> wrote:
      We're new to this group. We are trying to spread the word about how
      we lost our cat at the hands of Animal Control. Please keep this in
      mind if your pet is ever lost. Don't rely on them to direct you --
      tear the place apart. Unfortunately, we've since learned that this
      is a common story.
      A Needless Death
      A tragic series of events resulted in our family's beloved
      17-year old cat "Kuhio" being put to death by Animal Control on
      August 6th. We want to make sure that this doesn't happen to
      another family.
      We found that Kuhio was missing on Sunday, August 4th and after
      canvassing the neighborhood, went to Animal Control on Monday, August
      5th. My husband reported the cat missing and was told to look in a
      certain room. He looked but did not find her. He went back to the
      front desk and told them that she wasn't there and asked what he
      should do. He was told to fill out a Lost Pet Report - which he did
      and left. He also put up a poster in our yard offering a reward for
      information. On Tuesday, August 6th, neighbors notified us that they
      had called Animal Control about a cat matching Kuhio's description on
      Sunday, August 4th. This was confusing to us because Animal Control
      could not seem to find any record of this when my husband checked on
      August 5th. Since Animal Control was closed for the night, I left a
      message giving the name of the neighbors and the date that the cat
      was picked up. My husband and I went to Animal Control as soon as
      they opened on Wednesday and were shocked and horrified to learn that
      Kuhio had been put to death on Tuesday morning. We asked how it was
      possible when they could find no record of her on Monday and my
      husband had looked at all the cats they had. We were told that there
      is ANOTHER room (referred to as the Clinic) where new arrivals are
      kept while they are being checked for disease and illness. That's
      where Kuhio had been held. She was never going to be placed in the
      room where my husband was told to look because she was old and ill
      and would never be offered for adoption. When we explained that we
      weren't told about looking in the Clinic, we were told that it
      was our responsibility to ask questions about their procedures. We
      offered several suggestions about how they could improve their
      process. We suggested posting a sign that informs the pet owner of
      all the places to search – ask about all the rooms where your pet
      may be held. Ask if your pet could still be in a transport vehicle.
      We suggested that the Lost Pet form include a header or footer with a
      list of all the possible areas/rooms where your pet may be. We
      suggested a database that matches up the Found Pet form with the Lost
      Pet form. In our case, both of the forms stated that the cat was
      from Brookridge Street. A simple search in the database or a review
      of the forms would have saved our pet.
      We removed Kuhio's collar because the tags had worn a bald patch
      around her neck. We take full responsibility for this action.
      We've since found a website (www.k9collars.com) that offers to
      embroider the name of your pet and your phone number on the collar.
      We're ordering them for friends and family with pets with hopes that
      no other family has to go thru something like this. Also,
      www.petrescue.com/library/find-pet.htm has a list of places to look
      and questions to ask. One of their tips is to check all areas of the
      shelter, including the infirmary... If we had known this in advance
      instead of relying on Animal Control to direct us, Kuhio would be
      home with her loving family today. Bob and Lisa, Anchorage, Alaska
      --- End forwarded message ---

    • Lisa/kat
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
        I agree completely, which is why my cats ARE indoor-only!! LOL, but
        remember, even an indoor-only cat can escape at times. I once found a cat
        in our complex who had fallen from a 3d story window and was scared to death
        at being outside!! Your advice is excellent, and I do offer the same advice
        to my friends who let their cats roam. Thanks!!

        Hugz,

        Lisa/kat
        >^..^<

        This week's contests (9/2-9/7):

        http://www.geocities.com/thealleymews/vote.html (T-F only, closed Monday!)

        New site is up and running, and will be ready for the Fantasy Fights by
        Tuesday!
        http://www.geocities.com/johnsgift
        Voting link is http://www.webcompetition.net/moments/vote.html, T-F (closed
        Monday)!

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002

          --- Lisa/kat <kat569@...> wrote:
> [...]
          > around her neck. We take full responsibility for
          > this action.
          > We've since found a website (www.k9collars.com) that
          > offers to
          > embroider the name of your pet and your phone number
          > on the collar.
          > We're ordering them for friends and family with pets
          > with hopes that
          > no other family has to go thru something like this.
          > Also,
          > www.petrescue.com/library/find-pet.htm has a list of
          > places to look
          > and questions to ask. One of their tips is to check
          > all areas of the
          > shelter, including the infirmary... If we had known
          > this in advance
          > instead of relying on Animal Control to direct us,
          > Kuhio would be
          > home with her loving family today. Bob and Lisa,

          =====
          Amy Barrett

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • Jan
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2002
            Bob and Lisa are right. Animal control needs to take a lot more
            responsibility for their actions. They never assist anyone in finding their
            animals from what I have heard. And yes, my animals stay inside, but
            obviously others let theirs roam outside. After all....that is what comes
            natural to them. Also, animal control has inhumane methods of killing
            animals. I know one "fine" example of that first-hand when trying to save a
            homeless dog (which thank goodness we did it).
            Jan

            http://joekopecky.homestead.com
            http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html