L-Carnitine

  • Hilary
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2000
      I'm not sure if I've read anything about this here... It was
      recommended in an article and I was wondering if anyone here has used
      it and with what results. I read on holisticat that one cat had
      problems w/ it, but no further detail was given. Thanks!
    • keenwitted@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2003
        Dear group,

        I went on the wonderful Gussie's site and found the Dr. Schoen link that
        recommends L-Carnitine as supplement for pets with arrythmias. Q almost died
        on Atenolol and I'm investigating alternatives to maintain his health in a
        more organic manner (the alternative being a pacemaker). Does anyone know the
        recommended dosage for a cat? He's already on Feline Cardiac Support from
        Standard process, 30 mg of COQ 10 and 250 mg of Taurine. Thanks for the
        advice,

        cloe

      • Susan
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2003
          --- keenwitted@... wrote:
          > Dear group,
          >
          > I went on the wonderful Gussie's site and found the
          > Dr. Schoen link that
          > recommends L-Carnitine as supplement for pets with
          > arrythmias. Q almost died
          > on Atenolol and I'm investigating alternatives to
          > maintain his health in a
          > more organic manner (the alternative being a
          > pacemaker). Does anyone know the
          > recommended dosage for a cat? He's already on Feline
          > Cardiac Support from
          > Standard process, 30 mg of COQ 10 and 250 mg of
          > Taurine. Thanks for the
          > advice,
          >
          > cloe

          Cloe,

          Try this article, the weight supplement ratio is for
          dogs but may be in the right ballpark

          Nutritional modulation of cardiac disease
          http://www.walthamusa.com/articles/wf102fre%2Epdf

          Carnitine
          L-Carnitine is concentrated in the skeletal and
          cardiac muscle and is
          critical for fatty acid metabolism and energy
          production. Carnitine
          deficiency is associated with primary myocardial
          disease in a number of
          species, including a family of Boxer dogs (21).
          Although anecdotal reports
          exist regarding the efficacy of carnitine in canine
          DCM, no blinded
          prospective studies have been done so a causative role
          has not been
          established. In fact, the myocardial carnitine
          deficiency seen in some dogs
          with DCM may be merely a secondary event. There are
          few side effects of
          carnitine supplementation but high cost is a deterrent
          for some owners. We
          currently offer the option of carnitine
          supplementation (50�100 mg/kg PO
          q 8 hours) to owners of dogs with DCM, but do not
          consider it obligatory.
          Research in human patients suggests that carnitine has
          no benefits in
          patients without carnitine deficiency.

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • calebmylove
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2011
            Hi everyone,

            I currently get my l-carnitine from my veterinarian and pay way too much! I live in Canada and they have restrictions on selling it here and bringing it into the country via order from USA or anywhere else.

            I was wondering if anyone knows how I can access it cheaper in Canada or knows somewhere that I can order it from and where they do not label the package as supplements or L-carnitine (Canada customs will open the package and send it back). We have Health Canada to thank for these supplement restrictions. ;)

            I would appreciate any advice/information! Thanks so much and hugs to all your kitties,

            Cynthia
          • Westgold