Re: [FH] Tuna alternatives

  • sallymerlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2002
      Thanks Helen for the excellent point/reminder !

      I worked closely with Muffin's vets and also read a lot on the
      subject to try my best to get it close. I ALWAYS checked everything
      first with his vet and we did regular blood tests and urine tests to
      keep on top of things...by regular I mean every 2-3 months. He also
      got a lot of suppliments...though calcium was always hard to add to
      his diet...it tended him towards constipation. Every cat is different
      but every cat needs the best supervision if you are going home-made.

      Since he was an older cat and with CRF as well, I made choices in
      favour of a higher quality of life but also knowing that it may be a
      shorter life. Since eating good food was always an important pleasure
      for him he seemed to like this choice as well...but my vets advised me
      closely. It was only the last 6 months when he had "end stage" CHF
      that he stopped eating commercial food all together so I didn't really
      have a choice...he wanted Mama's home cookin'!

      Sally

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Helen" <helenandcats@n...> wrote:
      > I'd like to ask you all to be really careful if you decide to
      prepare
      > homecooked food. Cats have really complex nutritional needs, and
      getting the
      > balance right is very hard. Sally mentions supplements here, which
      are
      > usually required if you are preparing food yourself. And some of the
      > warnings about tuna apply to any fish - you don't want to cause
      steatitis in
      > your cat, for example.
      >
      > Helen, Harpsie, Indie and Karma, and Angels Tanya, George and Thomas
      >
      > > I always had good luck with several different fish options. My
      > > Muffin would only eat homemade meals for the last 6 months and it
      made
      > > giving him the meds much easier. He did have CRF as well but for
      some
      > > reason his sodium levels did not go up for a long time. I used to
      give
      > > him canned mackerel (which he loved) and sardines (watch for the
      > > onion) but the stand-by was salmon, which I usually cooked. It's
      > > really easy...just poach the salmon filet in water with a little
      lemon
      > > in it for about 10 minutes...cool, peel the skin off and tuck it
      into
      > > a tupperware container. It keeps for a week and you can mix it
      with
      > > baby food for different taste options. Canned pumpkin or cooked
      sweet
      > > potatoes work great. When it came time to serve, I'd squash the
      meds
      > > and suppliments to a fine powder in the bowl, turn in about 1
      Tblspn