Tuna alternatives

  • sallymerlin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2002
      Greetings All,

      I always had good luck with several different fish options. My
      Muffin would only eat homemade meals for the last 6 months and it made
      giving him the meds much easier. He did have CRF as well but for some
      reason his sodium levels did not go up for a long time. I used to give
      him canned mackerel (which he loved) and sardines (watch for the
      onion) but the stand-by was salmon, which I usually cooked. It's
      really easy...just poach the salmon filet in water with a little lemon
      in it for about 10 minutes...cool, peel the skin off and tuck it into
      a tupperware container. It keeps for a week and you can mix it with
      baby food for different taste options. Canned pumpkin or cooked sweet
      potatoes work great. When it came time to serve, I'd squash the meds
      and suppliments to a fine powder in the bowl, turn in about 1 Tblspn
      of salmon and mix it up well, add baby food and enough warm water to
      make it a nice mush...they love it!

      The canned salmon, mackerel and sardines have bones in as well
      which is a very good source of calcium, but be sure to squash it up
      well. The bones are cooked so they are soft, but it's better to be
      safe with a good mixing.

      Raw lamb is also wonderful if you have access to good quality
      meats. It's very easy to digest and for some reason is particularly
      good for CRF....

      Bon Appetite!

      Sally
    • christyandpresh
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2002
        Thanks for the tuna alternatives. I may give the salmon a try next
        week. :)

        Christy and Presh