taurine

  • the chunns
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2000
      Does anyone know how much taurine should be added to baby food
      and other non cat food delicacies that might tempt a poor eater?
      I would like to know if you add it to each serving or just once a day.
      Thanks,
      Pat

    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2000

        I would check with your vet about this.

        --
        JR
        & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17, 2000

          > Does anyone know how much taurine should be added to baby food
          > and other non cat food delicacies that might tempt a poor eater?
          > I would like to know if you add it to each serving or just once a day.
          > Thanks,
          > Pat

          I would check with your vet, but the taurine supplements we give Loki
          recommend 125 mg a day for average cats, and 250 mg for pregnant or
          lactating queens. I'm pretty sure that too much taurine won't do any
          damage, but check with the vet to be certain. Loki loves the taurine
          tablets we give him- I break the tablet up each night and stick his
          atenolol down there with the pieces, and he usually licks the pill right
          up with the yummy taurine. I give him the taurine tablet only once a day.

          Catherine, Loki and Freya

          --
          Generic Lame-O Signature Follows:
          Matos, Catherine Anne Moseley
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
            I ordered taurine in liquid form for my Princess. The guy will ship right to
            you and include an invoice. Go to harlmen.com Hope this helps. Pat P

          • Carole
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
              Hi,

              I've just emailed to see if they will ship tothe UK. Fingers and paws crossed. They say Taurine is very bitter so no wonder Sam wouldn't eat it!! Thanks so much, Carole and Sam

              I ordered taurine in liquid form for my Princess. The guy will ship right to
              you and include an invoice. Go to harlmen.com Hope this helps. Pat P

            • Anyes Moscrip
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
                Carole wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I've just emailed to see if they will ship tothe UK. Fingers and paws crossed. They say Taurine is very bitter so no wonder Sam wouldn't eat it!! Thanks so much, Carole and Sam

                The powder is tasteless... yes, I have tried it! LOL The liquid may be bitter, but I would use the powder if you can find it.
                Otherwise, put the liquid in gelcaps like I did with the petinic (palatable NOT)

                Anyes, Angelica, angels Lucie and Georgina
              • Barbie
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 26, 2010
                  Oh okay I knew I had seen that ingredient somewhere
                  just couldn't piece it together.  Hope your baby gets
                  better and back to her normal eating habits.  Diet
                  can really wreak havoc when changed and sometimes
                  it can make things better.  So I know
                  what you are going through.

                  Barbie

                  see in them what I am".

                  Gustav Klimt

                  ________________________________
                  Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:52:53 -0700
                  From: barbie_guitard@...
                  To: casaobelisco@...

                  I know someone had mentioned taurine to me a few
                  days ago.  Is this a herbal type supplement?  Does
                  it have to be prescribed by doc.  Is it safe with all
                  the meds cats are given for HCM?  What are the benefits?
                  What does it do for kitty?  Has it been tested and proven?

                  Barbie

                  see in them what I am".

                  Gustav Klimt

                  ________________________________
                  From: wsolem3@...
                  Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:12:31 -0700
                  Subject: [FH] Re:

                  Hi Barbi,

                  I am new to the group but am quickly becoming an old hand with medications for
                  the heart.

                  My cat Tino was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure and is on all
                  kinds of medications.

                  Plavix seemed to have a terrible taste and he would foam at the mouth if it
                  didn't go straight down.

                  The Dr then put him on one baby aspirin every 3 days. (In addition he takes
                  enanapril and lasix 2 times daily)

                  I found that I got quite a bit of help with these meds with a company called
                  "Greenies" They make a product called "pill pockets".

                  They may or may not work but would definitely be worth a try.
                  Tino actually begs for them even though meds are hidden inside.
                  Chicken is his favorite. I also found the aspirin I used is low dose adult.
                  That means that while its the dame dosage as baby aspirin, it is not flavored
                  and has a protective coating so no bad taste.

                  Hopefully this helps. Definitely worth a try!
                  Good luck!

                  Wendy "Tino" and "Josy"