Re: [feline-heart] Digest Number 100

  • PPerez5239@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12, 2000
      Dear All,
      My cat, Princess, had to have her chest cavity tapped two nights ago. They
      drew out 180cc of fluid from her chest cavity. She had to spend the night at
      the vet in an O2 chamber. This was her first tap since being diagnosed with
      dilated cardiomyopathy back in October. It was very scary. She started to
      breathe heavily with her mouth open, and I took her right in. I'm so upset
      with myself that I didn't catch the signs more quickly. She really hadn't
      been too much different than "normal" except with the open mouth breathing.
      She saw the Cardiologist and they uped the Lasix to three a day (12.5 times
      3) and added Spironalactone. She gave her an ultrasound as was going to tap
      her again if there was any remaining fluid, but, luckily, she didn't need to.
      She said the fluid had been in the chest cavity and not in her lungs.
      Princess has lost one pound. Does anyone know anything about such a high
      dosage of Lasix?(my mother doesn't take as much) Has anyone used the
      Spironalactone? I was going to bring her to a homeopathic vet that I had
      located about two hours away, but I think the trip would stress her out too
      much. I did talk to the vet and she's willing to send some different
      tictures to me to try to build up the strength in her heart (hawthorne berry)
      I'm very leary, but she needs all the help she can get. I need to build her
      weight back up, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. Can anyone help? Has
      anyone used the hawthorne berry? You can e-mail me directly if you have any
      suggestions. By the way, her appetite is very good, and she's drinking and
      urinating alot. Thanks. Pat P.
    • gran_patti
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 15, 2000
        dear Pat my heart goes out to you as I remember oh so well going through
        this uncertainty about the lasix doses with Lilli. I will tell you your
        12.5 three times a day is still low compared with the agressive approach
        they took with Lili
        at the worst of it she was receiving15 4 times a day and went for about 7
        days at this dose, I then began to drop the dose and felt good when I
        reached the half way mark and wa injecting her with it 3 times a day at l0
        she actually seemed to do best at l5 3 times a day. We did succeed in
        reducing it even lower. She took no other diuretics. However, I did once
        combine her lasix with the herb birch. I think it was took much diuretic
        action, she developed tachycardia, and glucose raised, I think I overdosed
        her but she did come out of it well. Birch is a diuretic as well. Good
        luck to you. Have you ever thought of renting a small portable oxygen tank
        and making her a little hood out of clear plastic with a way to vent her own
        co2 in use for emergency like a wild ride to the vet? You can also rent
        those little machines which plug into an outlet and convert room air to
        oxygen saturated air and you never run out. Please let me know if I can
        help. Patti and Angel Lilli

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 15, 2000
          Hi there, saw your answer
          and have some questions of my own.What little machines do you mean?..the
          only oxygen I could find is a very big tank renting for 50 dollars a
          month..Are you thinking of ion machines? How do you give the oxygen
          correctly?
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 16, 2000
            My cat is now on 3 12.5mg tablets of lasix a day, too, although I
            give
            him 1.5 pills twice a day. He seems to be doing fine (he's become
            much
            more active since we upped his lasix and vasotec -- now on 2.5mg
            twice
            a day). He really doesn't seem to be urinating that much more and his
            breathing is actually getting a little heavier again so I'm worried
            that he might need more. It's strange: a couple of months ago, when
            he'd have labored breathing and I'd give him a whole pill (at that
            time
            he was only on 1/2 BID), he would have to urinate very soon
            thereafter.
            Now, even after 1.5 pills, he doesn't go for hours... The vet told me
            that cats don't build tolerance to lasix. Still, it seems strange...

          • Hilary
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 17, 2000
              I have a question for you: would you mind telling me how much your
              kitty weighed? I'm getting conflicting dosage amounts (again!) from
              my
              vet, who now says my cat, who is 10 lbs. should really only be on
              12.5mg a day (even though she said we could up it to 3 pills a day).
              If his breathing is labored and they can't keep giving him IV lasix,
              then what am I supposed to do? Watch him get worse and worse when I
              have lasix I could give him?? Anyways, your help would be
              appreciated.
              Thanks!

            • Jonathan Rosenberg
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 17, 2000

                I'm not a vet, but please be very careful in self-prescribing any
                medications. In particular, I'm guessing that the appropriate dosage of
                Lasix involves more than just the animal's weight. I suspect that age,
                specific condition of heart, kidnets, etc. are important factors.

                SInce it seems like you are unclear on how to help your cat, maybe it's time
                to call the vet again. Just a thought.

                --
                JR
                & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 17, 2000
                  I just called the vet this morning and got a lecture from one of the
                  medical assistants who said she talked to our doctor. When our cat
                  was
                  discharged last week, she said we *could* give him 3 pills a day (if
                  he started backing up) and now the assistant reports that the same
                  doctor said he should be maintained on one pill a day (again, even
                  though the original prescription was for 2 pills a day!!). I don't
                  know why she's giving conflicting information, but I'm not going to
                  let my cat's lungs keep filling up. I know that the vets want to keep
                  them on the smallest dosage possible, but, obviously, my cat's
                  condition is rapidly deteriorating. His electrolyte levels were fine
                  on 2 pills a day (just had them checked last week). I wish the vets
                  would work w/ me and not against me; obviously, the cat's lungs are
                  going to go before the kidneys at this rate... I hate when I have to
                  talk to some doctor about the case who has only briefly read my cat's
                  chart (it's an emergency hospital) and is giving basic information
                  w/o
                  looking at the whole picture. When we were told 3 pills a day were
                  ok,
                  we had just told the doctor the entire situation, what was working,
                  what wasn't...; I think that this advice was more finely tuned to our
                  cat's condition, so I'm going to stick w/ it.

                  --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "Jonathan Rosenberg" <jr40@r...>