Re: [FH] Re: CoQ10

  • reallyrosiebooks@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2002
      In a message dated 8/10/2002 1:59:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      sallymerlin@... writes:

      > . It won't hurt to wait a little longer, but I do believe
      > that if he tolerates it, it will be beneficial.
      >
      > Good luck and keep us posted!
      >
      > Sally

      Thanks sally. I am going to look into getting it tomorrow. NOt sure if I can
      get in at a health food store, vet, or online. Will look into this and have
      it ready for the vet's ok. Thanks again.

      /\_/\
      (>'o'<)
      _(,,)(,,)___)________
      Heather "Rose"
      "Tomorrow is a fresh day, with no mistakes in it."
      - Anne of Green Gables
      Forever Kindred Spirits

    • sallymerlin
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2002
        Hi Heather,

        I get mine at the health food store...I like Twin labs products,
        they are in gel-caps and the 10mg size is available, as are 30,
        50 and 100mgs...the 10's are in the tiny gel-cap. For those who want
        to really economise you can dump out the CoQ10 and save the gel-caps
        for meds pilling...then recycle the glass bottle and plastic
        cap...100% is used!!! YAY!!!!!

        Good luck!

        Sally

      • reallyrosiebooks@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2002
          In a message dated 8/10/2002 12:31:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          sallymerlin@... writes:

          > ,
          >
          > I get mine at the health food store...I like Twin labs products,
          > they are in gel-caps and the 10mg size is available, as are 30,
          > 50 and 100mgs...the 10's are in the tiny gel-cap. For those who want
          > to really economise you can dump out the CoQ10 and save the gel-caps
          > for meds pilling...then recycle the glass bottle and plastic

          I got it today and started Tyson on it this afternoon. His appetitie seems to
          be coming back a bit so I figured why wait another day. The vet had said we
          would start him on it most likely this week if all goes well. But like I said
          I have read such good things I didn't want to wait and kick myself later. I
          will keep you posted.

          /\_/\
          (>'o'<)
          _(,,)(,,)___)________
          Heather "Rose"
          "Tomorrow is a fresh day, with no mistakes in it."
          - Anne of Green Gables
          Forever Kindred Spirits

        • Sue B
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
            I just returned from a visit to a holistic vet. This is my first visit, however I know at least 6 other people who love this woman and take their babies there.

            She told me to give Pepper 60mg of CoQ10 twice daily.

            Sue

          • lclarizia@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2005
              In a message dated 1/4/2005 11:03:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              neysa423@... writes:

              > Okay, now that everyone has shared dosages with me, what form do you
              > guys use? I bought some that are softgels and are filled with an
              > orange "paste" of sorts. Do I just squeeze that out and add it to
              > her food?

              I use the softgel, which I just pierce and squeeze. CoQ10 is fat-soluble, so
              the oil form would be the most optimal. I have Baby Boy on a boatload of
              supplements and the CoQ10 is part of that -- because he's a fussy eater, he gets
              a syringeful of supplement, but you can definitely add it to food. I wish he
              would take meds/supplements that way, but every time I try it, even in tiny
              amounts, he smells it and refuses to touch it.

              > I heard someone mention that the oil-based was best absorbed by the
              > body - does anyone have a recommendation of a brand?

              Any brand, really, but it should be as pure as possible ... check the label.
              Also, in my research I have found some papers which suggest that adding
              L-carnitine to CoQ10 supplements has a synergistic effect which increases the
              efficacy of the CoQ10.

              There is a great deal of information out there about amino
              acid/vitamin/mineral treatments for humans with DCM (which Baby Boy has), anyway. CoQ10,
              L-carnitine, taurine, L-lysine, magnesium, calcium, selenium, vitamins A, C, B1, B6,
              B12, D and E all appear to have a positive effect on this particular form of
              cardiomyopathy, by various means. At the moment, he is getting a supplement
              made from *all* of those (run up by loving hands at home -- I bought them
              individually, grind up the dry ingredients, add the oils, mix it in with vita-gravy
              and syringe it in), though you have to be watchful about the fat-soluble
              vitamins and certain of the minerals as they are stored in the body and you can
              overdose.

              I have to say, it's definitely not hurting him -- he seems more energetic.
              However, we are three weeks past his last chest tap today, which is about the
              time he starts filling up again so I'm reserving judgement until a little more
              time has passed. The problem is, around three weeks after being drained he
              feels better, starts running around and chasing the kitten and the next thing I
              know, he's in trouble. He probably feels "normal" but his poor little heart
              isn't up to the task. I've been keeping him separated from the other cats
              unless I am here to watch what's going on, and keeping him very calm and quiet, to
              the point of skipping two vet visits because it's just his regular vet and he
              was just scheduled for films and a physical, no bloodwork. I've also been
              giving him injectable lasix at the first sign of trouble ... so, who knows?
              I'll be extremely surprised if he makes it past this next week without filling up
              again.

              Anyway, food is okay, it won't hurt any healthy cats you may have who eat
              from the same bowl.

              Lisa