RE: [feline-heart] RE EXPENSES

  • Helen Coughtrie
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2000
      Dear Melody,

      This is absolutely outrageous especially as it concerns professionals who
      are there to help animals.

      Are there any animal welfare bodies in your area that could help you with
      low cost treatment, etc? In the UK there is the PDSA (People's Dispensary
      for Sick Animals) who provide treatment for those on low income - it doesn't
      cover everything but it does help some in dire need. I cannot believe that
      your vet would hold onto Bella until you came up with the cash - it has a
      distinct gangster feel to it.

      Perhaps there is a vet who operates a instalment payment plan or something
      near you that would be easier for you.

      Take care

      Helen

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2000
        A vet here in Rockville, MD, did that and got some nasty press coverage. The
        vet had ordered a battery of expensive tests without the owner's permission,
        then threatened to "find other means" for the cat if the owner didn't pay
        up.

        I don't know what happened, but the cat came out alive.

        You should complain to the state veterinary board.

        Laura

        >This is absolutely outrageous especially as it concerns professionals who
        >are there to help animals.
        >
        >Are there any animal welfare bodies in your area that could help you with
        >low cost treatment, etc? In the UK there is the PDSA (People's Dispensary
        >for Sick Animals) who provide treatment for those on low income - it
        doesn't
        >cover everything but it does help some in dire need. I cannot believe
        that
        >your vet would hold onto Bella until you came up with the cash - it has a
        >distinct gangster feel to it.
        >
        >Perhaps there is a vet who operates a instalment payment plan or something
        >near you that would be easier for you.
        >
        >Take care
        >
        >Helen

      • Melody N Woods
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2000
          What I have decided to do is create a list on egroups to document cases like
          this from all our crf , heart, aenemia and all other illness areas. it
          would be nice if mine were isolated experiences, but they are not.
          Then a concerted letter writing campaign can be started to state boards
          with all the incidents laid out before them . I would be interested in that
          article if yoiu still have it.