Re: [feline-heart] RE EXPENSES

  • Melody N Woods
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2000
      \I was off the list and just came back today...I had to comment on this
      because of what happened yesterday...

      Just yesterday, Bella was held for ransomed while I rushed to my bank to get
      more money. it was leave her or her medicine...and I can honestly say, this
      is a continuation of a pattern of greedy vets who care nothing for our cats
      unless they are a cash cow that doesn't stop for a second.

      Sadly this isn't the first incident and it doesn't matter here in the
      Dallas area who the vet is apparently...maybe some of you are in a financial
      position to bear this burden but most of us are not so we just do our
      best... I can cite you a number of horror stories.....I will supply chapter
      and verse to anyone who writes me privately ----- Original Message -----
    • Helen Coughtrie
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2000
        Dear Melody,

        This is absolutely outrageous especially as it concerns professionals who
        are there to help animals.

        Are there any animal welfare bodies in your area that could help you with
        low cost treatment, etc? In the UK there is the PDSA (People's Dispensary
        for Sick Animals) who provide treatment for those on low income - it doesn't
        cover everything but it does help some in dire need. I cannot believe that
        your vet would hold onto Bella until you came up with the cash - it has a
        distinct gangster feel to it.

        Perhaps there is a vet who operates a instalment payment plan or something
        near you that would be easier for you.

        Take care

        Helen

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2000
          A vet here in Rockville, MD, did that and got some nasty press coverage. The
          vet had ordered a battery of expensive tests without the owner's permission,
          then threatened to "find other means" for the cat if the owner didn't pay
          up.

          I don't know what happened, but the cat came out alive.

          You should complain to the state veterinary board.

          Laura

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2000
            What I have decided to do is create a list on egroups to document cases like
            this from all our crf , heart, aenemia and all other illness areas. it
            would be nice if mine were isolated experiences, but they are not.
            Then a concerted letter writing campaign can be started to state boards
            with all the incidents laid out before them . I would be interested in that
            article if yoiu still have it.