Re: struggle with Harriet

  • soupbone7420
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
      I got Bob to lap up liquified, boiled shrimp with water to get him
      started. Sounds like the trick with the chicken soup, (adds
      electrolytes). Try adding some Nutri-cal & vitamins into your mix.
      The Nutri-cal is a high calorie dietary supplement & you only have
      to add about a tsp & 1/2 twice a day. Off course, check with your
      vet as it is only available at the vet, but when I asked my vet
      about it when Bob was having so many problems eating, he said sure -
      it won't interact with any of his meds & the added calories
      certainly gave him more energy & vitality. I think on the assisted-
      feeding group, it was mentioned 32 calories per pound of body weight
      per day is what a kitty needs to maintain health. However, I'm not
      sure if he is getting that now & he has gained back nearly 1 pound
      of the 2 he lost the week he was so sick. I just try to get a sm
      can & 1/2 of Iams & Nutri-cal down him a day. He still needs to be
      coaxed. But it is much easier & once he gets started, he'll lick
      the plate clean. I hold the plate under his nose, he doesn't go
      looking for his food by himself yet. But he will run from where
      ever he is for snacks. Keep filling that poor boy's belly with
      Mama's comfort soup & you'll both be fine. Best wishes to Thomas.

      Lots of Kitty Kisses,
      Myra & Bob