Re: [FH] New to group

  • Amy Barrett
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi Joanna,
      Welcome to the group. My cat Cecil was diagnosed with
      a heart murmur several years ago, but the vet
      dismissed it as insignificant. About 1.5 months ago he
      was diagnosed with HCM (which you will learn about if
      you continue to read postings on this list). The vet
      that diagnosed his HCM said that he had probably had
      it a long time and that the murmur should have been
      taken more seriously - so it's a good thing your vet
      didn't dismiss it and went ahead and did the tests.
      Maybe it won't be anything to worry about, but I would
      take the murmur seriously - if Cecil's first vet
      hadn't dismissed it as insignificant he might have
      been diagnosed with HCM sooner and perhaps it wouldn't
      have gotten as advanced as it did.

      By the way, Cecil has been feeling GREAT! His meds
      seem to be working and he is almost totally back to
      normal. He'll be going back to the vet next week for
      another ultrasound to see how his heart is doing. I am
      a little concerned about an elevated ALT reading from
      his last blood workup (liver enzyme) and am hoping
      that it's going to be normal this time.

      My thoughts and prayers to everyone - hand in there
      Harriet!

      Amy & Cecil
      --- joanna_e_boone <joanna_e_boone@...> wrote:
      > I just took one of my kitties in for his regular
      > annual exam, and the
      > vet heard a new heart murmur. My baby Shadow is
      > only 4 yrs old and I
      > am very freaked out about it. The vet did an EKG
      > and X-ray on the day
      > he heard the new murmur, and we had an
      > echocardiogram done yesterday
      > that I am waiting to hear about. The EKG and X-ray
      > didn't show any
      > immediate issues, but still, my vet doesn't have the
      > greatest bedside
      > manner as I learn and now I don't know how terrified
      > to be. How bad
      > is a heart murmur?

      =====
      Amy Barrett

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • chouette
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 4
        Kara, this is going to be a LONG, LONG night for you, I know, especially as you don't know what's going on, and they don't seem to know. I never had to endure a separation at a such a time.
        Do you have to go to work tomorrow? Hope you can stay home.. with a recovering Bella..  She knows you would not abandon her at the vet's... but it must be a scary night for her!

        As for the thyroid med, the increase is small, but without knowing the strength of the methimazole (how many mg per ml), it is just very relative.  But it is a reasonable amount.
        It would really give me pause as all this happened at the same time.
        But also.. she has been under much stress..
        Sending you and Bella my very, very best
        Anne-Marie