RE: Bob Recheck Echo

  • soupbone7420
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
      There seems to be good news & bad news with Bob's recheck
      echocardiogram after 1 month. The echo showed progression of HCM
      with 2.9% from 1.7% (not sure how significant this is - will call my
      vet back after 10pm when he comes on duty). However, the wall
      thickness remained the same, but I forgot to ask just how thick -
      again I will ask vet tonite. The xrays showed that his lungs are
      clear of fluid, but some bronchii pictures may mean asthma. His
      blood work looks very good: ALT = 54, GLU = 144, BUN = 24, CRE =
      1.6, NA+ = 147, K+ = 4.2 & tCO2 = 23 & he has gained over a pound in
      weight from 7.3lbs on 7/10 to 8.11lbs today 8/1. He will remain on
      Atenolol 25mg 1/4 tab twice a day, Furosemide 12.5mg 1/2 tab twice a
      day, Potassium Gluconate 2 Meq (Tumil-K) 1 tab twice a day &
      Theophyline 100mg 1/2 tab once a day. They added Cardizem 30mg 1/4
      tab 3 times a day & baby aspirin 81mg 1/4 tab every 3 days. He is a
      very sweet kitty & they had no problems with the echo or xrays.
      They said he was very calm & held very still. I will search this
      site for any posts re: mixing Atenolol & Cardizem to see if anyone
      has posted any problems with this mix. He will go for another
      recheck echo in 1 month. Thank God they only charge $100 for
      recheck echos & $30 for blood workup & $50 for recheck xrays. Not
      that I wouldn't pay for whatever he needs but am grateful for the
      discounted rates. I have mixed feelings regarding the echo & am
      scared that there was such a jump in heart size. Bob seems none the
      worse for the trip, he seemed to enjoy visiting all the folks who
      cared for him in ICU & purred so loud the vet had to laugh. I hate
      having to add new meds & an extra med time for the 3 times a day
      Carizem, but am very grateful that Bob is happy, active & my sweet
      loving boy. Sorry this was such a long ramble. Thanks to you all
      for your support.

      Lots of Kitty Kisses,
      Myra & Bob
    • diane
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
        Myra,

        That's good news that he seems to be doing well, who knows, his
        progression can slow at some point too. Kearra's did for quite some
        time

        Diane
      • reallyrosiebooks@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
          Myra- keep us posted. Its great that Bob is acting so well and the bloodwork
          came back. The medications are such a game. We keep adding and removing.
          But the hope is to find the right balance and hopefully Bob will get there
          very soon. Keep me posted on his progress and send him love from his feline
          friend Tyson. Heather

          (\~~/)
          (>`.`<)
          (_)__)~o
          ROSE
          (aka.Heather but
          too many Heathers makes it confusing!)

          "Tomorrow is a fresh day, with no mistakes in it."
          - Anne of Green Gables
          Forever Kindred Spirits

        • Myra DeTate
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2003
            Bob had his 2 month echo recheck at the beginning of March. His
            condition (HCM) has continued to improve. Left ventricle fractional
            thickening has now gone to 14% from 52% in July of 2001. Overall
            heart size has also decreased significantly. He still has his 3/6
            murmur, but no plural effusion (fluid in lungs). His vet has
            decreased some of his meds & I am hoping that does not effect his
            continued improvement. His next echo will be a 3 month recheck.
            Bob is currently taking 1/4 tab 25mg Atenolol twice a day, 1/4 tab
            30mg Cardizem (dilitizem) 3 times a day, 1/4 tab 12.5mg Furosemide
            (Lasix) twice a day - down from 1/2 tab twice a day, 1/2 tab 100mg
            Theophylline every other day - down from 1/2 tab every day, 2 meq
            powdered Potassium Gluconate once a day - down from 2 meg twice a
            day due to the decreased dose of Lasix, 1 30mg gel cap CoQ10 once a
            day, 1 tab Feline Cardiac Support twice a day, and 1/4 tab 81mg
            enteric coated aspirin twice a week. Additionally, I add Feline The
            Missing Link to his food. Although the meds stabilized his
            condition, it did not begin to improve until the CoQ10, Feline
            Cardiac Support and Missing Link were added to the mix. As I have
            noted before, I put all of Bob's meds into gel caps and actually
            give meds 3 times a day. I am a tax preparer and this is Bob's
            favorite time of the year. He has lots of folks to talk to besides
            Mom & Dad & lots of boxes and files to get into. His favorite trick
            is to wait until someone has all of their receipts stacked and
            spread out & he makes a running dive through the receipts sending
            them flying! What fun! He loves to walk in front of my face when
            I'm trying to enter data into the computer & hangs over the printer
            stand trying to rearrange the pages as they come out & tormenting my
            customers who are watching their tax returns being printed. My
            heart has ached for those of you whose kits have passed over & altho
            I haven't posted, I have cried over each of the postings. Bob was
            also misdiagnosed originally in June of 2001 and nearly died from
            congestive heart failure. The vet told me his open mouth breathing
            and drooling was from the bad tasting antibiotics they had given him
            when he was actually dying from lungs filled with fluid. I am very
            thankful I found his current specialty clinic. When I confronted
            the vet, they said that oh well - a cat's condition can change
            quickly. Sorry this is so long, but I know it is good to hear a
            success story. Bob is 10years old, 10lbs, tabby gift from a pet
            store and we are thankful for every day we have with him.

            Lots of Kitty Kisses,
          • Patricia Harvey
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2003
              That is wonderful Myra! I am so happy for you and
              Bob. I am like you, I have read all of the posts and
              sqawled like a baby. Reading your post has brought up
              some questions that I would like to ask. I remember
              reading an earlier post of yours where you had listed
              Bob's orginial echo readings, what medicine he was
              prescribed and then a time table of his improvements.
              First of all, you wrote that Bob is on Atenolol and
              dilitazem. I am curious why he is on a beta blocker
              and a calcium channel blocker. I thought that it was
              either one or the other, but not both. That is very
              interesting. Bob is the only cat that I have read
              about so far that is on both. Also, what is
              Theophylline? That is a new term for me. Is your vet
              also a holistic vet or do you have separate vets? I
              am having trouble getting my IM to discuss any type of
              holistic treatment. So I have contacted a holistic
              vet to discuss Sinbad's condition. Being a member of
              this group I have seen that these supplements do help.
              It will be a phone consultation, which makes me a
              little nervouse, but they do tell you that if they
              feel that your cat needs to be seen to take them in to
              a holistic vet (assuming one is near). Sinbad's last
              xray (3/17/03) showed no enlargement but no shrinkage
              and no fluid in the lungs. So that is good news, but
              we are having a time with his WBC.

              Michael - I am so sorry about what happened to Gina.
              Most ppl would not fight back and I admire you for
              doing so.

              Barbara - You are in our thoughts and prayers. You
              did all that you could for Olivia and she knows that.

              Trish and Bad

              http://tax.yahoo.com
            • Myra DeTate
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2003
                Bob's vet is not a holistic or homeopathic vet. However, as the
                clinic is a teaching hospital, Bob's vet tries very hard to stay
                current with new findings and studies. They feed all natural food
                to their patients. In addition to being a 24 hour critical care
                clinic, they also have oncology, surgery, chiropractic, & onsite
                lab, color echo cardiogram & MRI as well as a rehab pool. Bob was
                started on Atenolol but although his blood pressure was lower his
                monthly echo rechecks showed a rapid worsening of HCM. When the
                diltiazem was added the progression slowed and then when the CoQ10,
                Feline Cardiac Support and Feline Missing Link were added, not only
                was the progression halted but the thickening has decreased. Bob's
                vet, Dr. Moore, explained that the Atenolol and the diltiazem work
                in different ways. The Atenolol works on the actual heart muscle
                and heart blood vessels while the diltiazem works on the blood
                vessels throughout the body. He said the diltiazem smooths the
                vessels and allows the blood to flow easier. I have not seen any
                other cats on this list whose vet uses both either. The following
                is from the drugdigest.org link:
                "Atenolol
                Active Ingredients: Atenolol
                Representative Brand Names: Tenormin
                Atenolol is a beta-blocker medication. It works by blocking certain
                receptors in your heart so it does not pump as hard or as fast. It
                also relaxes blood vessels and helps the heart beat more regularly
                and more efficiently.
                Diltiazem
                Active Ingredients: Diltiazem
                Representative Brand Names: Cardizem
                Diltiazem is a calcium channel blocker and works to lower blood
                pressure by interfering with the normal role of calcium in the heart
                and blood vessels. By blocking calcium's entry into the heart muscle
                and blood vessels, diltiazem causes blood vessels to relax and
                dilate and contraction of the heart to slow, and thus, blood
                pressure is lowered. It also increases the supply of blood and
                oxygen to the heart to control chest pain (angina)."
                Theophylline is a bronchial dilator. As Bob's lungs were filled
                with fluid (CHF), Dr. Moore wants to make it easier for Bob to
                breathe. However, since he has not shown any indication of fluid
                since being on meds, we were able to reduce the lasix and
                Theophylline. All of Bob's blood values are in the middle of normal
                range. Dr. Moore is very patient with all of my questions and
                doesn't begin to profess that he knows all. If he does not know the
                answer, he looks it up online or consults with a specialty vet.
                This is the first vet hospital I have found that recognizes the
                special bond we have with our critters. When Bob was in ICU for 5
                days, I was very pleased that they had regular visiting hours twice
                a day. It certainly put my mind at ease that Bob had the best
                possible, round the clock care and then to be able to visit him and
                see for myself how he was doing and pet him, I'm sure he didn't feel
                quite so abandoned as well. Good thoughts to you and Sinbad, hope
                you get the WBC issue resolved.

                Lots of Kitty Kisses,
                Myra & Bob
                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Harvey

              • barbara
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
                  Sounds like a great vet and a wonderful clinic, Barbara and the KittyBabies

                  <trishchic2002@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                  > > passed over & altho
                  > > I haven't posted, I have cried over each of the
                  > > postings. Bob was
                  > > also misdiagnosed originally in June of 2001 and
                  > > nearly died from
                  > > congestive heart failure. The vet told me his open
                  > > mouth breathing
                  > > and drooling was from the bad tasting antibiotics
                  > > they had given him
                  > > when he was actually dying from lungs filled with
                  > > fluid. I am very
                  > > thankful I found his current specialty clinic. When
                  > > I confronted
                  > > the vet, they said that oh well - a cat's condition
                  > > can change
                  > > quickly. Sorry this is so long, but I know it is
                  > > good to hear a
                  > > success story. Bob is 10years old, 10lbs, tabby
                  > > gift from a pet
                  > > store and we are thankful for every day we have with

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor