Re: [FH] struggle with Harriet

  • peggy baldwin
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
      --- Lise M MacGregor <liseham@...> wrote:
      > Harriet is hanging on but I am frightened what the
      > next few days may
      > bring...she still refuses food and the little I can
      > get down her is so
      > small an amount, I wonder if it helps much.......she
      > is so thin, her hip
      > bones poke out and she moves so slowly. She has been
      > on the Tumil-k going
      > on 3 days now but she still seems SOO tired and
      > weary. Her eyes are all
      > glassy she has no interest in anything...it is
      > breaking my heart to
      > pieces! I DREAD giving her meds as she hates it so
      > and struggles even in
      > her weakened state. I feel so terribly bad for
      > making her miserable on
      > top of this, but I know she has to have them.....she
      > has been drinking
      > water but today she hasn't yet and that worries me
      > also. We are not
      > giving up yet as now and then I see a mere glimpse
      > of her in there
      > somewhere. She even perked up a tiny bit yesterday
      > for a minute which
      > gave me hope but today she is not like that at all.
      > We are so used to
      > seeing her with rapid labored breathing ( even on
      > the Lasix) but now her
      > breath is shallow and slow...don't know what that
      > means now...except
      > maybe because she is weak. We will continue the
      > feeding every couple of
      > hours and I will have to watch her fluid intake
      > closely.....I am so
      > drained myself, this is taking such a toll on all of
      > us....I would give
      > literally ANYTHING to have her back as she was but
      > given the condition of
      > her heart I think it may be wishful thinking....I
      > am still looking at
      > this as just a crisis and that we will get through
      > it....I can't leave
      > the house, don't want to....I want to be with her
      > every minute I can
      > now....please keep your thoughts and prayers coming,
      > they mean so very
      > much to us and I know they help....Harriet is
      > fighting and we are
      > fighting along with her...you have all given me
      > wonderful advice,
      > suggestions and places to look for help, THANK YOU.
      > I hope we can turn
      > this around but if not I have to make peace with
      > it...I have talked to
      > her at length and she knows how we feel and how much
      > we love her....she
      > is such a special, unique little cat, I can't
      > imagine life without
      > her....that's why I will try to help her to her very
      > last breath...thank
      > you all again for your support.
      > Lise

      Dear Lise,
      I am sending prayers and healing white light for
      Harriet.I hope she will recover.
      Purrs and hugs.
      Peggy

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • soupbone7420
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
        Paula,
        I got Bob to lap up liquified, boiled shrimp with water to get him
        started. Sounds like the trick with the chicken soup, (adds
        electrolytes). Try adding some Nutri-cal & vitamins into your mix.
        The Nutri-cal is a high calorie dietary supplement & you only have
        to add about a tsp & 1/2 twice a day. Off course, check with your
        vet as it is only available at the vet, but when I asked my vet
        about it when Bob was having so many problems eating, he said sure -
        it won't interact with any of his meds & the added calories
        certainly gave him more energy & vitality. I think on the assisted-
        feeding group, it was mentioned 32 calories per pound of body weight
        per day is what a kitty needs to maintain health. However, I'm not
        sure if he is getting that now & he has gained back nearly 1 pound
        of the 2 he lost the week he was so sick. I just try to get a sm
        can & 1/2 of Iams & Nutri-cal down him a day. He still needs to be
        coaxed. But it is much easier & once he gets started, he'll lick
        the plate clean. I hold the plate under his nose, he doesn't go
        looking for his food by himself yet. But he will run from where
        ever he is for snacks. Keep filling that poor boy's belly with
        Mama's comfort soup & you'll both be fine. Best wishes to Thomas.

        Lots of Kitty Kisses,
        Myra & Bob

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "paula_ps2002" <kevpaula@s...> wrote:
        > Lise
        >
        > We force fed Thomas last night - small amounts scraped off against
        > his upper front teeth. He had to lick and swallow these, and we
        > really didn't manage to get much down. But this morning he ate a
        > small amount, and again this evening. I've just made up some soup
        > for him - cooked chicken and carrots (liquedised into a paste)
        with