RE: [FH] New to group

  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 1, 2002
      I'm no expert on heart murmurs, but my understanding is that they can vary
      from being "innocent" (& having no affect on longevity) to serious. In
      addition, some murmurs go away as suddenly as they appear.

      In any case, with appropriate treatment, most cats can live a long
      productive life, even with a murmur.

      If you have any uncertainty at all after you hear from your vet, I would
      take the kitty to a vet cardiologist.

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 26, 2012
        Hi Cheryl

        A heart murmur can mean many things. It can be entirely innocent and due to
        a 'flappy valve' as it is in several of my cats who showed no HCM at all
        on echo. Or it can mean HCM which is a very serious disease. A heart murmu
        may also be due to stress at the vets like my Toby has and it was shown on
        echo to be the amount of blood pushing the valve when he got stressed.

        If hyperthyroid isnt under control, then it can cause secondary HCM. So it
        is vital the thyroid levels are normal. The only way to tell if Cheshire
        has heart disease is to have the echocardiogram. I would get it done as soon
        as possible now she has her thyroid treated. You need to watch for her
        breathing rate, anything over 30 a minute is a cause for alarm. Any changes to
        her usual rate and type of breathing are as well. If she has heart disease
        there are drugs she can take to help her.

        I wouldn't have the teeth done until after the ultrasound unless it is
        absolutely vital. She may need special care with an anaesthetic if she has
        heart disease.