Re: Harriet update

  • soupbone7420
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2002
      Dear Lise,
      I know it seems hard to assist feed, but it is very necessary. It
      is very dangerous for Harriet to go without food even for 1 day.
      When I brought Bob home from the ICU, he was not eating or
      drinking. I assisted feeding him & syringe fed him for several days
      before he got strong enough to start eating on his own. I held the
      water bowl up to his mouth because he seemed to be uncomfortable
      dropping his head down to drink. I wrapped Bob in a towel & placed
      him between my knees facing away from me. I opened his mouth &
      using a child tongue depressor placed some food back on his tongue.
      He did not gag or vomit, although he did fight me even in his
      weakened state. His vet recommended a teaspoon or so every 2 to 3
      hours. When you syringe feed or water, be sure not to squirt
      directly down the throat, as your kitty can aspirate the liquid &
      then pneumonia occurs. Aim the syringe toward the side of your
      kitty's mouth. I also got Pet Nutri-drops which is an excellent
      emergency supplement that is also an appetite enhancer. The vet
      prescribed Periactin which after we adjusted the dosage drastically,
      helped as well. I am still adding Nutri-cal to his food for
      additional calories as he lost nearly 2 lbs in the week he was in
      ICU on oxygen. They were assisted feeding him in ICU, but
      acknowledged that the oxygen could make him nauseous & so fed him
      small quantities every hour. Please check out the assisted feeding
      group. I read all of the postings & it helped enormously. Don't be
      discouraged about Harriet's appetite. Once she gets stronger, she
      will probably start eating again on her own. I know it seems very
      difficult, but it is certainly worthwhile. Some people have even
      had to resort to tube feeding their kitties. It has been less than
      a month since Bob came home from ICU & he is so back to normal that
      I would never have believed he was so near death. Don't give up,
      Harriet needs you. Good luck.

      Lots of Kitty Kisses,
      Myra & Bob