Re: [feline-heart] Digest Number 92

  • J. Z.
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
      Melinda:

      Interesting point about the a/c. It's been horribly humid here in NJ for
      about a week -- just about how long Ollie's been lethargic. I wonder if
      that's a factor in his lethargy. Heck, I'VE been lethargic for the last
      week. Today he was at the vet's for his echocardiogram. I have not heard
      from the vet yet about the results; presumably he's sending the films down
      to the veterinary cardiologist at Cardiopet in Wayne who did the echo last
      November. What's interesting is that he seemed a bit more chipper when he
      got home. The vet's office is air conditioned.

      I wish I could give Ollie his diltiazem in his baby food, but he won't touch
      it. It's a miracle I can give him the Co-Q10 in baby food. Vet has not
      said anything about taurine or supplements yet; we will discuss when he
      calls me.

      I'm debating upping his Dilt. dose again. 60mg/day nearly killed him; he
      did OK on 30mg/day, except that it upsets his stomach. The formulating
      pharmacy says it has to be in suspension, and that makes it a thick liquid.
      I won't even say what it must be like for poor Ollie, use your imagination
      (very sick joke). I cut it down to 15mg/day (with vet's OK), but he doesn't
      seem to be any less finicky about food. If it'll help his heart, I'll take
      it back up to 30.

      Thoughts?

      Jill

    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000

        Tell me about it :-(

        > -- just about how long Ollie's been lethargic. I wonder if
        > that's a factor in his lethargy. Heck, I'VE been lethargic
        > for the last week.

        There is no doubt that the heat affects cats greatly. They don't have as
        efficient a method of cooling off as humans (sweating) or even dogs
        (panting). I believe cats only cool off through their ears. My cats get
        very lethargic when exposed to heat like this (unless they're in a nicely
        air-conditioned area).

        > Today he was at the vet's for his echocardiogram. I have
        > not heard from the vet yet about the results; presumably he's
        > sending the films down to the veterinary cardiologist at
        > Cardiopet in Wayne who did the echo last November.

        That's where I take Lynx for his checkups. The people there are great.

        > What's
        > interesting is that he seemed a bit more chipper when he
        > got home. The vet's office is air conditioned.

        Ahhh ... so you DON'T have air conditioning at home. There's no doubt he's
        affected by the heat, then. One of our cats, Licorice, is an indoor-outdoor
        cat. On a day like this, she barely moves when she goes outside. She
        pretty much just lies on the deck for hours without budging.

        --
        JR
        & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
          Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:55:44 EDT
          From: earina613@...
          Subject: Boo Boo was admitted to the animal medical hospital at 1AM She is still there,

          She is in the hospital since last night and my bill came out to $910.00 I was
          wondering if anyone else gest bills like that???? How can I keep the cost
          down, this is becoming too much for me to handle. i am a full time college
          student and I have a part time job only and I am getting deeper and deeper
          into debt. How often is this going to happen????
          What precautions or tools, or medicine or herbs should I have to lower my vet
          visits in order to avoid such high bills????

          Irina and Boo Boo

          Unfortunately, the high cost of medical care is . . . high! An x-ray is an x-ray, whether it's for a person or a pet. And yes, I'd say that blood tests can change drastically in a very short space of time--my diabetic cat had to be tested every few days. And yes, we spent over $1,200 on a cat that swallowed a draceana spike. My diabetic cat's bill ran over to over $2,000 over his last year.

          I think it's a great idea to approach the vets from the point of view that you're a poor struggling student, and ask if you can work out some sort of payment plan, or offer to come in and work for them at weekends or something in exchange (the barter system is alive and well). Many vets are understanding about this, especially when you're talking enormous amounts of money and extra-ordinary circumstances like going to school. And ask about emergency measures you can take at home, too. Good for you for doing all you can for BooBoo! She'll be worth every penny! Hang in there!

          =^.^= =^.^= =^.^=
          All the best from Juls in New Westminster, BC!
          juls@...
          http://www3.telus.net/juls (updated 00Jul20)

          Message: 4
          Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 22:51:25 -0000
          From: "Hilary " <mukki2@...>
          Subject: anyone used acepromazine?

          My cat is supposed to go in for a check-up and, in order to minimize
          the effect of stress on his heart, the vet gave us 10mg of
          acepromazine. Now, I've checked w/ 4 vets and each said that it
          "should be ok" for a cat w/ heart disease. However, on pethealthplus,
          it says to "use w/ caution in patients w/ heart disease" (my cat has
          enlarged left atrium w/ mitral valve regurgitation).

          Has anyone used this on your cats? Did your cat recover from it
          well? I'm worried and actually cancelled his appt. today because of
          this. I don't want to take him in w/o giving it to him, though,
          because of his stress levels (he's got a red dot marked on his chart
          at the vet!).

          Check out this link: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/acepromazine.html
          where it says that it's used to re-establish heart rhthm and as a tranquilizer in highly stressed pets, among other things. Tihs is a fabulous site, BTW!
          =^.^= =^.^= =^.^=

        • earina613@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
            Hi I have a question to ask its earinas brother and I am home alone with my
            cat boo boo.
            I don't know what to do cause we just picked up boo boo yesterday because we
            brought her in on Monday and she staid the night and she also staid on
            Tuesday cause she had trouble breathing I need your advice because I don't
            know what to do if she's suffocating I counted her breathing and it turned
            out to be 42 in 1 minute what should do you think she's breathing fast or
            normal?

            URL to My Boo Boo's site !
            http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/hummingbird/210/index.htm
          • Laura Penny
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
              Normal respiration for a cat is 20-30, but it could be higher if Boo Boo is
              purring. If she isn't, you would want to call the vet.

              Laura

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
                If you're not sure if there's a problem, call the vet right away to get some
                advice.