Re: Boo Boo was admitted to the animal medical hospital at 1AM She is still there,

  • Hilary
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      My cat also spent 2 nights in an emergency hospital in January and
      the
      bill came to over $1,000 (he had a $200 echo done, too). It does get
      expensive. My cat is on lasix twice a day to prevent fluid in the
      lungs, but your cat has renal failure, correct? Sounds like your
      situation is trickier. When my cat has had emergency episodes of
      labored breathing, I've always been able to help get him back to
      normal by giving him a little extra lasix and enacard. However, my
      cat
      doesn't have renal problems (just mitral valve regurgitation and an
      enlarged left atrium), so your kitty's situation is probably more
      delicate.

      I would ask the doctors at the E hospital what they would recommend.
      I'm sure they'll try to work with you considering your financial
      situation and your willingness to help Boo Boo. Maybe they'll give
      you
      a dosage amount you can give him at home when he has problems.
      Unfortunately, most vets won't do that because of the potential
      consequences for the animal and for themselves (lawsuits). Every time
      I call, they tell me to bring my cat in, but, like I've said, I've
      been able to avoid that (he's had about 6 episodes of extreme labored
      breathing since Jan. and I know they're just going to give him extra
      lasix at the hospital). You might want to ask the vets about possibly
      getting pet insurance (I don't know if it covers pre-existing
      conditions and emergency visits, though).

      A vet on expert central recommended that I buy an oxygen tank, but
      said that some kitties won't put up w/ a mask on their face. I don't
      know if that would help your situation. One of our vets said that
      sometimes cats can get over labored breathing w/ more oxygen.

      --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, earina613@a... wrote:

      > Hi Everyone and thank you all so much for replying to my emergency
      email last
      > night so quickly!!! I don't know what I would do without you
      guys!!!!!!
      > Boo Boo's breathing last night didn't change and when I counted her
      breathing
      > she had ~60 or per min and then I knew for sure she was in trouble.
      Thanks
      > Vuola for providing me with normal breathing and heart
      measurements.
      And
      > thanks to everyone who gave me so much support and help when I
      needed it
      > most!!!!!!!!!!
      > She is in the hospital since last night and my bill came out to
      $910.00 I was
      > wondering if anyone else gest bills like that???? How can I keep
      the cost
      > down, this is becoming too much for me to handle. i am a full time
      college
      > student and I have a part time job only and I am getting deeper and
      deeper
      > into debt. How often is this going to happen????
      > What precautions or tools, or medicine or herbs should I have to
      lower my vet
      > visits in order to avoid such high bills????
      > can the fluid in the lungs be controlled or am I going to take her
      > emergency rooms a lot?
      > would an oxygen box if I rent it be a good investment for me and
      lower the
      > cost of my vet bills??
      > She had an emergency 7/26/00 which was last week and the bill was
      600.00
      > They said she might have to stay overnight again, I don't know what
      to do????
      > is it necessary to leave her at the hospital again? I love her so
      much and
      > will do everything I can for her but the bills are just
      soooooooooooo
      > hight!!! How can I cut down on the bills without hurting her???
      > They took xrays last week of her lungs but I think they want to
      take
      more
      > xrays and more blood works, but she also had blood works done
      7/17/00 I am
      > not sure if there is a need for more blood works, can blook change
      in so
      > little time???
      > Please help me, do I have options or other alternatives to keep the
      vet cost
      > down a bit this is just sooooooooooo expensive and I have to do it
      all on my
      > own adn that is why I am so concerned. Please help!!!
      > Thanks for everything.
      >
      > Irina and Boo Boo
      > URL to My Boo Boo's site !
      > http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/hummingbird/210/index.htm
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000

        So what did they say about Boo Boo? How is she doing now?

        > I was wondering if anyone else gest bills like that????

        Oh, yes. Good medical care is expensive ... but worth every penny.

        > How can I keep the cost down, this is becoming too much for me
        > to handle. i am a full time college student and I have a part
        > time job only and I am getting deeper and deeper
        > into debt. How often is this going to happen????
        > . . .

        > They said she might have to stay overnight again, I don't know
        > what to do???? Is it necessary to leave her at the hospital
        > again?

        If they recommend leaving her there, I would do it without hesitation.
        Heart disease is not something to trifle with.

        > I love her so much and will do everything I can for her but
        > the bills are just soooooooooooo high!!! How can I cut down on
        > the bills without hurting her???

        I don't know that can lower the expenses, but here's a few ideas:

        1) Explain your financial situation to the vets. Maybe they can give you a
        discount, or work out a payment over time plan.
        2) Check out pet insurance

        http://www.premierpetinsurance.com/orderprocess/quote.asp
        http://www.petinsurance.com/

        I don't know if it will help in this case (since Boo Boo has a pre-existing
        condition), but give it a try.
        3) There are some charities that help people having trouble paying medical
        bills for their pets. Check out

        http://www.imom.org/
        http://animalcareusa.org/intro2.html#covered

        > They took xrays last week of her lungs but I think they want to
        > take more xrays and more blood works, but she also had blood
        > works done 7/17/00 I am not sure if there is a need for more
        > blood works, can blood change in so little time???

        I would trusth them & get the blood tests.

        --
        JR
        & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
          Some vets will work with their patients owners to work out a payment plan
          especially if they know you are short on funds. As you vet if things can be
          worked out. I know on my disability check I wouldn't afford those for Midas
          either. Bev