Boo Boo was admitted to the animal medical hospital at 1AM She is still there,

  • earina613@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      Hi Everyone and thank you all so much for replying to my emergency email last
      night so quickly!!! I don't know what I would do without you guys!!!!!!
      Boo Boo's breathing last night didn't change and when I counted her breathing
      she had ~60 or per min and then I knew for sure she was in trouble. Thanks
      Vuola for providing me with normal breathing and heart measurements. And
      thanks to everyone who gave me so much support and help when I needed it
      most!!!!!!!!!!
      She is in the hospital since last night and my bill came out to $910.00 I was
      wondering if anyone else gest bills like that???? How can I keep the cost
      down, this is becoming too much for me to handle. i am a full time college
      student and I have a part time job only and I am getting deeper and deeper
      into debt. How often is this going to happen????
      What precautions or tools, or medicine or herbs should I have to lower my vet
      visits in order to avoid such high bills????
      can the fluid in the lungs be controlled or am I going to take her to
      emergency rooms a lot?
      would an oxygen box if I rent it be a good investment for me and lower the
      cost of my vet bills??
      She had an emergency 7/26/00 which was last week and the bill was 600.00
      They said she might have to stay overnight again, I don't know what to do????
      is it necessary to leave her at the hospital again? I love her so much and
      will do everything I can for her but the bills are just soooooooooooo
      hight!!! How can I cut down on the bills without hurting her???
      They took xrays last week of her lungs but I think they want to take more
      xrays and more blood works, but she also had blood works done 7/17/00 I am
      not sure if there is a need for more blood works, can blook change in so
      little time???
      Please help me, do I have options or other alternatives to keep the vet cost
      down a bit this is just sooooooooooo expensive and I have to do it all on my
      own adn that is why I am so concerned. Please help!!!
      Thanks for everything.

      Irina and Boo Boo
      URL to My Boo Boo's site !
      http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/hummingbird/210/index.htm
    • Hilary
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
        My cat also spent 2 nights in an emergency hospital in January and
        the
        bill came to over $1,000 (he had a $200 echo done, too). It does get
        expensive. My cat is on lasix twice a day to prevent fluid in the
        lungs, but your cat has renal failure, correct? Sounds like your
        situation is trickier. When my cat has had emergency episodes of
        labored breathing, I've always been able to help get him back to
        normal by giving him a little extra lasix and enacard. However, my
        cat
        doesn't have renal problems (just mitral valve regurgitation and an
        enlarged left atrium), so your kitty's situation is probably more
        delicate.

        I would ask the doctors at the E hospital what they would recommend.
        I'm sure they'll try to work with you considering your financial
        situation and your willingness to help Boo Boo. Maybe they'll give
        you
        a dosage amount you can give him at home when he has problems.
        Unfortunately, most vets won't do that because of the potential
        consequences for the animal and for themselves (lawsuits). Every time
        I call, they tell me to bring my cat in, but, like I've said, I've
        been able to avoid that (he's had about 6 episodes of extreme labored
        breathing since Jan. and I know they're just going to give him extra
        lasix at the hospital). You might want to ask the vets about possibly
        getting pet insurance (I don't know if it covers pre-existing
        conditions and emergency visits, though).

        A vet on expert central recommended that I buy an oxygen tank, but
        said that some kitties won't put up w/ a mask on their face. I don't
        know if that would help your situation. One of our vets said that
        sometimes cats can get over labored breathing w/ more oxygen.

        --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, earina613@a... wrote:

        > Hi Everyone and thank you all so much for replying to my emergency
        email last
        > night so quickly!!! I don't know what I would do without you
        guys!!!!!!
        > Boo Boo's breathing last night didn't change and when I counted her
        breathing
        > she had ~60 or per min and then I knew for sure she was in trouble.
        Thanks
        > Vuola for providing me with normal breathing and heart
        measurements.
        And
        > thanks to everyone who gave me so much support and help when I
        needed it
        > most!!!!!!!!!!
        > She is in the hospital since last night and my bill came out to
        $910.00 I was
        > wondering if anyone else gest bills like that???? How can I keep
        the cost
        > down, this is becoming too much for me to handle. i am a full time
        college
        > student and I have a part time job only and I am getting deeper and
        deeper
        > into debt. How often is this going to happen????
        > What precautions or tools, or medicine or herbs should I have to
        lower my vet
        > visits in order to avoid such high bills????
        > can the fluid in the lungs be controlled or am I going to take her
        > emergency rooms a lot?
        > would an oxygen box if I rent it be a good investment for me and
        lower the
        > cost of my vet bills??
        > She had an emergency 7/26/00 which was last week and the bill was
        600.00
        > They said she might have to stay overnight again, I don't know what
        to do????
        > is it necessary to leave her at the hospital again? I love her so
        much and
        > will do everything I can for her but the bills are just
        soooooooooooo
        > hight!!! How can I cut down on the bills without hurting her???
        > They took xrays last week of her lungs but I think they want to
        take
        more
        > xrays and more blood works, but she also had blood works done
        7/17/00 I am
        > not sure if there is a need for more blood works, can blook change
        in so
        > little time???
        > Please help me, do I have options or other alternatives to keep the
        vet cost
        > down a bit this is just sooooooooooo expensive and I have to do it
        all on my
        > own adn that is why I am so concerned. Please help!!!
        > Thanks for everything.
        >
        > Irina and Boo Boo
        > URL to My Boo Boo's site !
        > http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/hummingbird/210/index.htm
      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000

          So what did they say about Boo Boo? How is she doing now?

          > I was wondering if anyone else gest bills like that????

          Oh, yes. Good medical care is expensive ... but worth every penny.

          > How can I keep the cost down, this is becoming too much for me
          > to handle. i am a full time college student and I have a part
          > time job only and I am getting deeper and deeper
          > into debt. How often is this going to happen????
          > . . .

          > They said she might have to stay overnight again, I don't know
          > what to do???? Is it necessary to leave her at the hospital
          > again?

          If they recommend leaving her there, I would do it without hesitation.
          Heart disease is not something to trifle with.

          > I love her so much and will do everything I can for her but
          > the bills are just soooooooooooo high!!! How can I cut down on
          > the bills without hurting her???

          I don't know that can lower the expenses, but here's a few ideas:

          1) Explain your financial situation to the vets. Maybe they can give you a
          discount, or work out a payment over time plan.
          2) Check out pet insurance

          http://www.premierpetinsurance.com/orderprocess/quote.asp
          http://www.petinsurance.com/

          I don't know if it will help in this case (since Boo Boo has a pre-existing
          condition), but give it a try.
          3) There are some charities that help people having trouble paying medical
          bills for their pets. Check out

          http://www.imom.org/
          http://animalcareusa.org/intro2.html#covered

          > They took xrays last week of her lungs but I think they want to
          > take more xrays and more blood works, but she also had blood
          > works done 7/17/00 I am not sure if there is a need for more
          > blood works, can blood change in so little time???

          I would trusth them & get the blood tests.

          --
          JR
          & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
            Some vets will work with their patients owners to work out a payment plan
            especially if they know you are short on funds. As you vet if things can be
            worked out. I know on my disability check I wouldn't afford those for Midas
            either. Bev