Re: Diet for wasting from HCM/CHF

  • Melinda Bruno
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
      J.Z. asked:

      >Does he need a taurine supplement with
      > this?

      I give my guys "Nu-Cat" vitamins. They're made by Vetri-Science and
      are loaded with taurine. I get them from a wholesale pet supplier in
      the East Village, but an online pet distributor should have them.

      I give them at least one a day, Pongo usually gets three.

      I mix his cardizem in with Gerber's chicken. The cardizem is already
      chicken-flavored -- it's that liquid in a suspension thing which is
      expensive, but at least he's eating it.

      Also, baby food tends to be constipating to cats, so I give him 1/8
      tsp. of psyllium husks every day.

      >He's showing the "wasting" that's characteristic
      > of cardiac and cancer patients.

      Yep, Pongo started showing that last Fall. His twin sister, who's not
      a cardiac patient, started showing loss of muscle mass at the same
      time, but she stayed plump.

      We have him on 1/2 of a Winstrol (anabolic steroid) tab every third
      day, and it improved his appearance tremendously. He still looks a
      little scrawny, but only in relation to the small cougar he used to
      be.

      >I have a stepfather with terminal cancer who doesn't
      >know how sick he is, and it almost seems as if Ollie is the
      >sacrifice -- a "dry run" -- the small test
      >to prepare me for the HUGE crisis that's to come.

      We lost my mother-in-law last year after a long illness, just before
      Pongo's diagnosis. You have my sympathy. I hope this test will have
      good results for a long while, and that the crisis will pass more
      smoothly than you fear.

      --Melinda, Jim, Phoebe, Pongo

      P.S. - Pongo galloped around the house and up the wall last night and
      this morning for the first time in weeks. Either the liquid cardizem
      is worth its weight in gold, or our new A.C. is working wonders on
      him.