Thank You

  • ck27948
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 19, 2002
      Hello All,

      I've been "lurking" here since I had a HCM scare a couple of weeks
      ago with my 12-year-old Leo. Since the beginning of April he had
      been displaying a variety of symptoms including rapid, shallow
      breathing and limping. Despite several trips to the vet for
      bloodwork and physical exams, nothing suspicious was revealed.
      Finally she did a couple of chest xrays and informed me that Leo
      appeared to have "an enlarged heart" and "some fluid in his chest
      cavity". Then she mentioned the possibility of HCM and it really
      jolted me. Nearly nine years ago I lost my beautiful Snooky to the
      same disease when she was 11. There was never had any indication
      that she was gravely ill. It only became apparent a couple of days
      before she died, when it was tragically too late to help her. Losing
      her was very hard for me (even now I still have my moments). The
      thought of Leo also having HCM was absolutely overwhelming.

      I had to wait over a week to get Leo in for an echocardiogram, so in
      order to prepare myself for the possible outcome I decided to do
      some research on the web to learn all I could about HCM. In the
      process I stumbled upon this list and I can't express how much it
      has meant to me.... I've been so touched by the many courageous
      stories and the enormous amount of love and perseverence you
      demonstrate for your kitties. Your valiant efforts on behalf of your
      furry companions and your support for each other were a great source
      of encouragement and comfort to me while I awaited Leo's diagnosis.
      Thankfully, after many tests and tense moments, no abnormalities
      have been detected and Leo's heart has been declared normal. The
      cause of his symptoms remains a mystery and there are still a few
      more possibilities to examine, but in the meantime I'm simply going
      to enjoy his presence in my life and consider myself fortunate for
      each and every precious moment I have with him.

      Sorry if I've rambled on too long. I just wanted to share my own
      story and above all, extend my deepest thanks to all of you for
      sharing your experiences. You have helped strengthen and prepare me--
      -both in practical and emotional terms---to face my own challenges
      with Leo, whatever they may be. I'm sure you are all heroes in the
      eyes of your beloved kitties, as you are in mine. I will keep you in
      my thoughts and prayers.

      Cindy
    • lipmancats <barbaralipman@ezsweeps.com>
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 29, 2003
        Thank you all for your kindness and support at this difficult time.
        Widget succumbed to a sudden saddle thrombosis and possible DIC
        Sunday evening. He had seen his cardiologist just five days before.
        He was doing very well, feeling great, but we were warned that his
        condition was very severe and that sudden death was always a
        possiblity.

        I am grateful for the time we had with Widget, he was a charming,
        adorable Ragdoll baby. He came into our home in late October of
        2001, full of confidence and comedy, he never met a stranger.

        I am grateful for the almost six months of good quality life my vets
        were able to help him achieve after diagnosis and the opportunity to
        spoil him rotten during that time.

        I am grateful to Widget's breeder; she did everything right, but this
        still happened. Her cats come from excellent, reputable catteries.
        Widget's mom had a heart scan after an unexplained death of one of
        her kittens and his dad had fathered over 40 fabulous kittens with
        her other queen. As soon as I told her about Widget's condition she
        unconditionally extended his health guarantee. Widget's breeder did
        everything she knew how to prevent this tragedy.

        I am grateful to my friends on RRU and the feline heart board who
        have been there with help and advice. You have helped me to treasure
        every day we had together.

        Thank you all for your friendship and caring,
        Barbara and the furry crew-with one new angel among us
      • ericalitchfield
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 7, 2004
          I wanted to send a note of thanks for all of your emails of support
          over the past couple of days. I can not express how much this has
          helped us cope and educate us on HCM - esp what to look for in the
          future. I know that some have asked me to let them know what happens
          with the dvm I had been going to. I will no longer visit this
          particular dvm, and also I would not recommend that cat owners see
          him, esp if they are in the risk group for HCM. I think and hope he
          learned a valuable lesson. I have drafted a 7 page letter to him
          outlining the symptoms I presented, and how he could have and should
          have advised for an ultra sound - that there was negligence on his
          part. Also, if he had expressed the anal glands when he said he
          should have - on her first visit - it would not have been the focus
          of her on-again, off-again hind leg problems the other day, and he
          would have focused more on the totallity of the symtoms I presented
          to him. Dealing with her sudden death and the nature of the events
          leading up to her death has really prevented us from continuing
          through the greiving process, and with closure.
          Again, thank you so much for all of your kind words and sharing your
          stories with us... at least I know I'm not alone, and that Lily
          wasn't alone! When we are ready we will be getting 2 cats at the
          same time (Lily was an only child), and will definitely seek out
          Maine Coons again, as we enjoyed Lily so much. I will continue to
          read all of your postings and help in anyway I can to others in
          need. Education and questioning is the key! Thanks again,
          Erica
        • jessicahafetz
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006
            This is an excruciating time for me having just lost my little Jorge.
            I think I see him around the apartment or feel him sleeping next me,
            but when I take a closer look he's not there. I got up this morning and
            went to the medicine cabinet before I remembered I didn't have to give
            him his meds today. I know that I made the right decision as he was
            in pain, getting worse and was no longer the cat he used to be and was
            not going to recover. It doesn't take away the hurt or how empty I
            feel inside. I know that I will feel better someday and the pain will
            go away and I will be left with all the happy memories. I am going to
            have to take some time away from the group to help me heal and give me
            some distance.
            I wanted to thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for all
            the encouraging emails, and personal notes of sympathy. I am very
            grateful to you all.

            ~Jessica, Margarita and Angel Jorge
          • Andy
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 13, 2009
              Thank you everyone for your outpouring of support, kind words, experiences, suggestions, and encouragement.

              So far, we are very fortunate because Sun Kissed loves Pill Pockets and has been gobbling them down without any regard for the medicines they contain. He still has a strong appetite and is drinking his water. We decided to administer 1/2 of one 81 mg baby aspirin to him every other day and so far, he has no observable ill effects such as vomiting. Based on some of your suggestions, we have ordered some Cardio-Strength nutritional supplements for him, too.

              Our vet faxed me a copy of his echocardiogram report which confirmed his HCM diagnosis. It's still numbing to read this diagnosis in print, but we are doing everything we can to make him comfortable and give him the best quality of life for as many days as God has destined for him.

              Thanks again for your kindness and warm welcome.

              Sincerely,

              Andy
            • SandyB
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2010
                I know I don't participate much, but I will remain with this very caring supportive group. Losing Bandit has been the hardest thing I have ever experienced as he was such a special part of our lives. The love and support that numerous members of this group have shown me through their messages and the beautiful candles has meant the world. Unless you have never lived with a heart kittyk, you just can't imagine the pain and anguish when we watch them suffer the way Bandit did in the beginning and the end. The 7 plus years in between were blessings from God whereby I was allowed to have him with me a whole lot longer than was originally stated to me. Life goes on but it's not the same and never will be. Looking at the places where Bandit used to hang out tear me up. I still imagine him lying on my love seat or lying on my bed or back in the computer room on his favorite totes, Time is a great healer but we never lose those wonderful memories. Bandit and I went through a lot and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Our bond was incredible and his love so strong. He used to give me massages every night. He became very strong through all of this, both mentally and physically. He overcame a lot to stay with me. I miss him and part of my heart went with him, but he'll always be with me in spirit. Rest in peace, my handsome boy. You are never out of my thoughts. Heaven is simply a brighter place with you in it.

                Again, I cannot thank all of you enough. It has helped me out a great deal.

                If there is ever anything I can do or any question I can answer, please do not hesitate to email me privately. I'm always there for anyone who needs me, except for 7/3-10. We're going to MN on vacation. I really need to re-group. I have a 3 1/2 mo. old Ragdoll kitten who will be my new show boy and who is running a fairly high temperature. I have to put him in a cage while we are on vacation as he needs meds and I want him to stay quiet. When it rains, it pours for me. I need some peace and solitude right now. Bandit will still always be there with me, though, no matter what, and now with Paddy being ill, I wonder if I will get any R&R.

                Thank you once more, and I cannot say it enough.

                Sandy and angel Bandit
              • Mmayer11
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2, 2010
                  Thank you for your beautiful message. I for one am very glad to have you sticking with us. Your experience is invaluable.

                  Meanwhile I am hoping for Paddy's speedy recovery.

                  Marianna

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 12, 2011
                    Just wanted to say thank you to those of you that took the time to answer my questions this week. Lily took a turn for the worse today and I had to put her to sleep this evening. I know that it was the right decision, but it wasn't easy. She was my first cat and I'll never forget her.
                  • MaryAnne
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 21, 2012
                      I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your posts, your wisdom, and your compassion as a group. I have been a silent lurker for several weeks as my furry wonder friend Mittens and I struggled to come to grips with his congestive heart failure and medications. When I was confused or overwhelmed I would turn to the board to read your trials and tribulations with your own furry wonders. You inspired me and helped me to move forward.

                      I sent Mittens to the Rainbow Bridge this morning. After many tears and a few final purrs, he and I agreed that he needed to be set free. I know he is with his friends running and chasing butterflies. Although he has taken a very significant part of my heart with him, I know he is Mittens, once again, and that knowledge will help heal my broken pieces.

                      Please continue the good work you do. Even when you are unaware of the hearts you touch you make a vast difference in the lives of those who are struggling with kitty heart issues.

                      Thank you again,
                      Mary-Anne Dalton and Mittens
                    • MAUREEN FOGG
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 21, 2012
                        Mary-Ann
                        Its so True : Selfless People Help each other so much here.  So sorry for the
                        loss of your Beloved Mittens and know that his spirit is with
                        you.
                        Maureen and Angel Yuki

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 21, 2012
                          Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your little boy. They do tell us when it's time to go. It's so hard, but we have to give them this final gift of love to thank them for all the love they gave us their whole lives. He is now healthy and happily playing at the Bridge waiting for you. I know we will see our precious little ones again.

                          Please post a memorial to Mittens on our memorial site, http://www.AngelKitties.com -- we'd love to see his photo and hear how you met. This site is open at all kitties, no matter how long they have been in heaven.

                          Please stay in the group, your exprience can help others.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 29, 2013

                            I joined this group this summer when my 18 year old cat Tasha was diagnosed with CHF. Although I did not post much to this group (as I had a lots to learn), I appreciated all of the advice and comments from those who had lots of knowledge and experience on CHF.  Although Tasha had been diagnosed with kidney disease 4 1/2 years ago she died of CHF on Wednesday at 18 ½. I adopted her when she was 9 weeks old so I feel very lucky to have had her as long as I did.

                            Thanks to everyone for your support.

                            Vickie
                          • Nicole Sycz
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 24, 2014
                              Hello,

                              I wrote to the group last February about my cat Charlie. He was diagnosed with HCM. Unfortunately, on March 4, I had to make that decision we never want to make. The medicine he was on helped control his symptoms for a while, but I could tell he was starting to get uncomfortable. I know I did the right thing, but I am still very sad over the loss of my friend.

                              I wasn't an active member of the group, but I read all of your emails. It seemed that the one with just the advice I needed would come at the perfect time.

                              It was nice to know that there was a group of supportive people I could turn to if I needed advice. Thank you very much for that.

                              Best of luck to all of you and your kitties.

                              Sincerely,
                              Nicole Sycz