Re: CoE-Q10

  • J. Z.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2000
      My vet started Oliver on 10mg/day Co-Enzyme Q10 in addition to his 15mg
      Diltiazem (down from 30 down from 60) and 10mg/day Furosemide.

      Ollie has HCM with congestive heart failure. He is 14. My biggest problem
      with him is getting enough calories into him. For a while after he was
      diagnosed, he ate like a pig. He'd always been a glutton and was happy to
      be able to eat as much as he wanted. Now he's getting finicky, and on some
      days he eats fine; while others he just picks. At his peak he weighed 13
      pounds, which was too much. At his last "healthy" checkup he weighed 11
      pounds. At his sickest last December, he weighed 9-1/8. I had gotten him
      up to 10-1/2 in April, but on Saturday he weighed 10-1/8. This morning he
      had the "howling pukes", in which he howls horribly, then puked up a bunch
      of mucus. He does this periodically. He was quiet most of the day and I
      fed him baby food. I made some of that kick-butt chicken broth from the
      recipe posted here, and he doesn't seem to care for it much.

      Because he was so yin today I skipped his diltiazem tonight (vet said that
      was OK). My question to you guys is this: What are the potential
      side-effects of the CoE-Q10? Is loss of appetite a side effect? Should I
      keep giving it to him? The puking took place BEFORE I gave it to him this
      morning.

      He's going to have another echocardiogram in the next week or so. We are
      going on vacation in September and I want him to hang on at least till we
      get back...