Re: [FH] I'm back and all is well with Tyson

  • reallyrosiebooks@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 3, 2002
      Well I made it back from my long weekend and am happy to say all 3 animals
      did well at the kennel. I spoke to the vet about 2x's a day and felt really
      good about the treatment of Tyson.

      When I brought him in on Friday his breathing was deeper than it had been but
      not as bad as orginially. Due to his high kidnely levels they wanted to
      remove the lasix which worried me but at least I knew he would be monitored
      there.

      They extracted quite a bit of fluid from him on Friday. This is actually
      good news. Although we don't want the fluids there at all the first
      extraction didn't work well but this time it worked like a charm and his
      breathing was normal again.

      PLUS his blood levels came back and they had greatly improved (from 94 to in
      the 70s and from a 4.5 to 2.4 for those who know numbers). The vet said
      although the numbers are still somewhat high they would be pleased if it
      remained that as these numbers are not as alarming. These numbers also were
      taken prior to removing the lasix and we can only hope the numbers will go
      down more now that he is off the lasix.

      He is frisky as ever. He actually took a bit out of husband who foolishly
      stuck his hand in the carrier the second he saw him. I on the other hand
      talked calmly to Tyson to let him know it was us and we were back and as soon
      as he realized he began licking me. I think he had been poked and prodded
      and missed home because he has NEVER hissed or snapped like this. He is fine
      and back to his lovable self.

      So I just wait and watch his breathing. Getting away helped me gain
      perspective and a bit of relief from the obsessing. All I can do is give him
      love, give him meds and monitor his breathing. So far he is not giving us
      any signs that its his time to go as they had tried to prepare me 2 weeks ago
      today exactly.

      Their prefered treatment is to extract if fluids build up. In the meantime
      my wallet is hurting after spending 2,000 at the vet the past two weeks. But
      they are so worth it and now that we know what we are dealing with it will be
      regular blood work and possible extractions along with meds which is
      managable.

      My other cat had a bit of a murmur and high heart rate but it was her first
      experience at the kennel. Her behaviors are normal but they will monitor her
      in 6 months and lets hope all is well there.

      I thank you guys for your support. Leaving was so hard but your support and
      positive thoughts helped me a great deal. Plus your knowledge had calmed me
      down. 2 weeks ago I thought we were done...now I have hope that there is a
      tomorrow with Tyson....but I also know to be realistic and things could turn
      at any time. So I shall stay in the present and enjoy. Which is what I am
      going to do right now..some cuddle time with my sweet boy.

      Again much thanks,

      ROSE
      (aka.Heather but
      too many Heathers makes it confusing!)

      "Tomorrow is a fresh day, with no mistakes in it."
      - Anne of Green Gables
      Forever Kindred Spirits

    • Cyber-Paws Designs
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
        Hi listers! Happy 4th :)

        I need some help, I am really stressing and driving myself completely crazy
        here.

        Wolfy has Tetralogy of Fallot, he is almost 3 years old. He is on Lasix and
        Enacard. He has congestive heart failure, but has been doing well since his
        last bad episode approximately 3 months ago. He is eating special kidney
        diet, a canned food.

        I noticed last week that his belly is looking very bloated. It feels round
        and kind of firm, not squishy. He is breathing normally, eating and
        drinking, walking around, more active than he has been in months, actually.
        He is very alert and happy.

        I just relocated two weeks ago but he did not seem stressed at all about it.
        I have my 4 cats and the dog with me and they all seem happy and not
        confused.

        I am worried about seeing a new vet, of course. I am taking him tomorrow to
        get looked at but I am very worried. What could cause this bloated belly??
        The only thing I found on the web is FIP and that petrifies me, although I
        highly doubt it could be that.

        Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. I am so worried I cannot
        sleep.

        Thank you so much,
        Carrie
      • sallymerlin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
          Hi Carrie,

          Like Maggie May, my Muffin also gets fluid build-up in the
          abdomen...it's called "ascites" and can have some interesting
          properties....more on that later....

          I'm sorry I don't know a thing about TofF but here is what I know
          about ascites ; It can be caused by congestive heart failure and
          usually this is the case. It can however also be caused by cancerous
          growths or lymphatic disease in the belly, so you'll need to have this
          looked into...but usually it's CHF that is the cause. From what I
          understand, CHF can involve one side of the heart or the other or
          both...I can't remember which side is which but the side which gets
          the blood first effects the lungs the most and when it is in CHF (the
          fluids tend to build up in the chest and not the belly....this is the
          more common form of CHF, apparently)...when the other side of the
          heart which pumps to the body is the side most in "failure" then fluid
          build-up tends to happen more in the belly.

          If you had an echocardiogram done, your new vet should get in
          touch with your old vet and the cadiologist to review the specifics of
          Wolfy's case. Also you may want to have an abdominal ultrasound done
          as well to rule out any other possiblities. This will also show the
          extent of the fluid build-up...as will an x-ray, but the ultrasound
          will read the soft tissues better if there is "something" else going
          on besides the CHF.

          When I first noticed Muffin getting bigger, my vets just thought
          he was gaining weight because of all the good food he was now
          eating...so they were happy with the weight gain....but I always felt
          there was something else going on...unfortunately I was right.

          As far as treatments go, we tried several different drug
          combinations and finally settled on Lasix and Lotensin. Some kitties
          are helped by rutin added to the diet, but it did not work for
          Muffin...neither did spironolactone, but it's worth discussing with
          your vet. We also go to the vet every 10-14 days to have his belly
          drained. The first time we did this we sent off some fluid to be
          tested for cancer cells....fortunatly it came back clean. My vet
          always tests the protien levels in the fluid once she draws it
          off....there is usually a fair amount of protien in the fluids, you
          may want to increase the protien content in his diet if you end up
          with frequent taps since he will be loosing it regularly. A common
          side effect after a "tap" is a sudden edema (swelling of fluid)
          showing up...usually on the legs. Don't freak out if this happens...it
          usually gets re-absorbed within 24 hrs.

          I don't know if you are giving subQ's but this may need to be
          stopped....here is the good news...with the lasix and the regular
          fluid draw-offs, it's a bit like a kidney dialysis and your kitties
          kidney function may actually hold steady without the need for
          subQ's...and kidney function can even have a modest improvement!
          (there has GOT to be something good out of this right?) the other
          semi-positive thing is that fluid buildup in the abdomen can be less
          critically life-threatening than effusion in the lungs...kitty can
          still breathe relatively well usually...but if the fluid gets to be
          too much pressure, it can put a load on all the organs, just like
          pregnancy does. You may have constipation issues too with this. But
          you CAN manage it, that is the important thing!

          Good luck with your new vet tomorrow and stay in touch...we're
          all in this together!

          Best wishes,

          Sally and Muffin

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "Cyber-Paws Designs" <webdesign@c...> wrote:
          > Hi listers! Happy 4th :)
          >
          > I need some help, I am really stressing and driving myself
          completely crazy
          > here.
          >
          > Wolfy has Tetralogy of Fallot, he is almost 3 years old. He is on
          Lasix and
          > Enacard. He has congestive heart failure, but has been doing well
          since his
          > last bad episode approximately 3 months ago. He is eating special
          kidney
          > diet, a canned food.
          >
          > I noticed last week that his belly is looking very bloated. It
          feels round
          > and kind of firm, not squishy. He is breathing normally, eating and
          > drinking, walking around, more active than he has been in months,
          actually.
          > He is very alert and happy.
          >
          > I just relocated two weeks ago but he did not seem stressed at all
          about it.
          > I have my 4 cats and the dog with me and they all seem happy and not
          > confused.
          >
          > I am worried about seeing a new vet, of course. I am taking him
          tomorrow to
          > get looked at but I am very worried. What could cause this bloated
          belly??
          > The only thing I found on the web is FIP and that petrifies me,
          although I
          > highly doubt it could be that.
          >
          > Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. I am so worried I
          cannot
          > sleep.
          >
          > Thank you so much,
          > Carrie
        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 5, 2002
            sally,

            thx for the below post...it was so informative....i sure did learn alot from
            it....thank you, thank you for being so thorough....

            linda and pumpkin

> [...]

            feels round
            > and kind of firm, not squishy. He is breathing normally, eating and
            > drinking, walking around, more active than he has been in months,
            actually.
            > He is very alert and happy.
            >
            > I just relocated two weeks ago but he did not seem stressed at all
            about it.
            > I have my 4 cats and the dog with me and they all seem happy and not
            > confused.
            >
            > I am worried about seeing a new vet, of course. I am taking him
            tomorrow to
            > get looked at but I am very worried. What could cause this bloated
            belly??
            > The only thing I found on the web is FIP and that petrifies me,
            although I
            > highly doubt it could be that.
            >
            > Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. I am so worried I

          • Cyber-Paws Designs
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 5, 2002
              Thank you everyone so much for the posts, and Sally especially for so much
              terrific info!

              Ok.....I just got back from the vet. Wolfy does have fluid around the
              abdomen - not in his chest as he normally develops it.

              He is on Lasix and Enacard, but the vet does not feel its in his best
              interest to increase the meds.

              She also felt that, since Wolfy is acting totally normal and happy, that
              tapping is not best for him now either. He has had 2 chest taps and they
              were very, very hard on him. She thinks its best to watch him, check him
              again in two weeks, but not to do anything right now that will cause stress
              for him.

              He is 8.5lbs now.....I am going to weigh him every day and also measure his
              tummy to see if it increases. His breathing is normal but if it becomes
              labored, I am to bring him in asap.

              Did someone mention dandelion? What does that do?

              Wolfy is not on SubQ's, he just eats a canned kidney food by Hills.

              I did like the new vet....maybe not as much as my old vet in NH, but this
              one was very nice and seemed informative.

              Thank you all so much for the info. I am worried, but not as worried. :)
              I will keep you guys updated on how the little guy does. Right now he is
              sleeping on the couch. :)

              Hugs,
              Carrie & Wolfy

> [...]

              feels round
              > and kind of firm, not squishy. He is breathing normally, eating and
              > drinking, walking around, more active than he has been in months,
              actually.
              > He is very alert and happy.
              >
              > I just relocated two weeks ago but he did not seem stressed at all
              about it.
              > I have my 4 cats and the dog with me and they all seem happy and not
              > confused.
              >
              > I am worried about seeing a new vet, of course. I am taking him
              tomorrow to
              > get looked at but I am very worried. What could cause this bloated
              belly??
              > The only thing I found on the web is FIP and that petrifies me,
              although I
              > highly doubt it could be that.
              >
              > Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. I am so worried I

            • emilywalter2002
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 12, 2004
                My cat has progressed from mild cardiomyopathy to moderate this year
                ( :[ ) and now has marginally high creatinine too. I am petrified.
                Does anyone know about kidney probelms as secondary to
                cardiomyopathy? I have been told to put him on the k/d food for
                kidney problems and bring him back in 4-6 weeks for new blood levels
                and a urinalysis. He is learning to eat the food, but I am wondering
                if there is anything else I can do?

                Emily
              • turkishangoraathumanesociety
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 12, 2004
                  Hi Emily...
                  Are you bringing your cat to a vet Cardiologist? If not please get
                  him to one as soon as possible. If there isn't one ANY where near
                  you, please see an Internal Med Specialist. I have peronally
                  experienced that General
                  vets we have seen are clueless, bordering on negligent when it comes
                  to these
                  cases. If you go to www.acvim.org you will be able to search for
                  either specialty near you. Here they only charged about $10 more per
                  office visit than the general vet...well worth it...Good luck. PS --
                  How high over normal were the kidney readings. Slightly higher
                  readings on kidneys and sodium are common in heart cases with
                  meds...Please see a specialist, it's the only way to ensure proper
                  treatment many times...PS--There was a failure with your email, so I
                  reposted this to the board.

                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "emilywalter2002"
                  <emilywalter2002@y...> wrote:
                  > My cat has progressed from mild cardiomyopathy to moderate this
                  year
                  > ( :[ ) and now has marginally high creatinine too. I am
                  petrified.
                  > Does anyone know about kidney probelms as secondary to
                  > cardiomyopathy? I have been told to put him on the k/d food for
                  > kidney problems and bring him back in 4-6 weeks for new blood
                  levels
                  > and a urinalysis. He is learning to eat the food, but I am
                  wondering
                  > if there is anything else I can do?
                  >
                  > Emily
                • kathleen
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 8, 2013
                    Dear all,
                    My cat Marlow was diagnosed with HCM 1.5 years ago, and until today, everything seemed to be going well. He had regular ultrasounds, and the cardiologist just told us in May that his heart was looking really good, and he was stable with his current dose of atenolol. She noticed that his lungs were raspy, and an x-ray showed some lung inflammation. We put him on prednisolone for the last week to try to address any possible feline airway disease, and thought he was improving on it. However, tonight, he started heaving and spitting up a few pieces of kibble, but mostly white foamy stuff. His respiration rate was fast (84 at home), so we took him into the emergency vet. At the vet, his respiration rate went up to 124, and they put him in an oxygen cage and gave him lasix. His respiration rate is now 66 (still on oxygen), and he is getting more lasix every few hours. His x-rays showed pulmonary edema and an enlarged heart. I am wondering if the spit-up is common with heart failure from HCM. Part of me wonders if he has both HCM and cat heartworms. Anyone have any experience with this? I may or may not respond to everyone's emails- I am sort of in a bad state right now, and can't stop crying. I want Marlow to be okay, but know that it won't last, even if he stabilizes now.
                  • elfinmyst
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 9, 2013
                      Hello

                      I am sorry Marlow is unwell. Unfortunately steroids like prednisolone are
                      very dangerous in HCM cats and can push them into heart failure as has
                      happened so many times in this forum. He needs to stop the steroid immediately
                      and the intravenous lasix and oxygen are the only thing to help at the
                      moment. Once he is stable, I think they would start giving more drugs to help
                      his heart but it is vital to get that fluid off his lungs now. Speak to his
                      cardiologist if you can for advice.

                    • Laurie Stead
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 9, 2013
                        I am sorry to hear this.... and shocked a cardiologist would prescribe a steroid for any cat with HCM.  That is what likely put Marlow into CHF.  Sounds like he is a fighter and I will pray he pulls through.  How is his resp rate today??  Never again should he receive a steroid for any reason.

                        Laurie

                        ________________________________
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 9, 2013
                          Thanks to you both for the replies. I am happy to report that Marlow looks like he is starting to stabilize. His heart rate is around 200 bpm, but his resp. rate has gone down to 38, and it has been 4 hours since his last lasix injection. He is still in the oxygen cage, but they will be taking him out soon to see if his resp. rate stays this good. Yesterday, it was up to 120 when he was admitted, so things appear to be improving. I found this article about corticosteroid-caused CHF, and I am really hoping that is what is going on, and he will be able to recover from this. Because his HCM seems mild, this would be reasonable to me. I wish the vets cared as much about Marlow's situation as I do :(

                          http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol2Iss3/TOBIASJARVMVol2No304.pdf

                          Also... does anyone have an HCM cat with airway disease? What meds is he/she on? Obviously the prednisolone was a bad idea, but I'm not sure what would be a good idea.
                        • Jordan
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 9, 2013
                            Hi Kathleen,

                            My kitty Sheba (soon to be 9 year old himalyan) has Inflammatory Airway Disease (IAD. This was diagnosed by a cardiologist off her chest Xray. She also has unclassified cardiomyopathy. She is currently on inhaled steriods and the cardiologist is very pleased with this, as it allows the treatment of both medical conditions safely.

                            She has Flovent 2x every day for maintenance via an Aerokat inhaler device. This keeps her asthma well-controlled. She also has albuterol as a rescue inhaler for emergency situations, but we rarely have to use this. Her Flovent dosing is consistent and keeps her asthma well controlled.

                            Inhaled steriods are the preferred method as they are admistered directly into the lungs were they are needed without any of the ill effects associated systemically with oral steriods. Kitties are very tolerant of the Aerokat device.

                            I do, however, get my inhalers overseas where they are a 1/4 of the cost they are in the US. So I must always keep several on hand and order more when I am down to my last one. It takes approximately 8-10 business days for them to arrive to me but is well worth the investment.

                            If you would like more details, please emai me privately and I would be happy to send you links for inhalers and the Aerokat. I also belong to the Feline Asthma Yahoo group which has been hugely helpful to me along with this group.

                            Love and kitty kisses,
                            Jordan and Sheba

                          • kathleen
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 9, 2013
                              Thanks for all of the kind thoughts, and useful advice. Marlow has returned home! I am nervous because he seems nauseous and miserable looking, but his respiration rate at home once he was relaxed is around 38, which seems okay for now. He is not interested in eating, but has only been home for an hour, so I'm going to give him some time to sleep off his big adventure. He is on 12.5 mg of lasix twice a day, and I'm hoping that helps make him feel better soon.
                            • Laurie Stead
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 9, 2013
                                So happy Marlow is home!  Yes he has been through a traumatic experience and it will take some time for him to bounce back.  I remember bringing Boo home after several days at the hospital in oxygen. My poor girl was not herself for awhile but she had also been sedated.

                                He needs rest now more than anything.  Being home will ease his stress level and he will be eating before you know it :)

                                Keep us posted!

                                Laurie and Boo

                                ________________________________
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 10, 2013
                                  Marlow still hasn't eaten, and I am extremely worried. He is just lying under the futon breathing with a normal respiration rate. It has been at least 15 hours since he has eaten, if not more. I offered him some food on a spoon, and he turned away and gagged for a second. I then syringe-fed him about 7 mL of watered-down cat food broth, which he was not a fan of, but he didn't throw it back up or gag. Is he going to starve himself to death today? I am just counting down the minutes until my regular vet can talk with me- the vets at the emergency vet hospital aren't very good, and I don't trust them with this. 30 more minutes! I really hope Marlow can pull through this, but I'm not very optimistic right now- he seems really weak, and his hatred of food can't be a good thing.
                                • Cindi
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 10, 2013
                                    Perhaps ask the vet about an anti-vomiting medication, I gave Ditto one
                                    that was an injection and it worked within minutes. Could he need
                                    pepcid a/c?

                                    Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
                                    There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
                                    silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
                                    Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
                                    from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

                                    On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 7:31 AM, kathleen wrote:

                                    > Marlow still hasn't eaten, and I am extremely worried. He is just
                                    > lying under the futon breathing with a normal respiration rate. It
                                    > has been at least 15 hours since he has eaten, if not more. I offered
                                    > him some food on a spoon, and he turned away and gagged for a second.
                                    > I then syringe-fed him about 7 mL of watered-down cat food broth,
                                    > which he was not a fan of, but he didn't throw it back up or gag. Is
                                    > he going to starve himself to death today? I am just counting down
                                    > the minutes until my regular vet can talk with me- the vets at the
                                    > emergency vet hospital aren't very good, and I don't trust them with
                                    > this. 30 more minutes! I really hope Marlow can pull through this,
                                    > but I'm not very optimistic right now- he seems really weak, and his
                                    > hatred of food can't be a good thing.

                                  • rosemairew20
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 10, 2013
                                      I'm sorry to hear about Marlow. My cat went through a similar issue this month, it was very scary for me and I was close to making the decision to put my baby down because he looked so miserable.

                                      So take heart, the meds you are on can be increased still to make him feel better and do better. I have learned that after a stressful event, like a vet visit or ER visit it takes my baby 1-2 days of seclusion in my bedroom with no sounds (Window Closed). This forces him to rest undisturbed by my daily activities. I sleep with him at night so he's not isolated. But after he rests like this he feels better. But those days can be scary, he sits in the meatloaf position with his ears back and an unhappy look on his face. I do watch his RR (Respiratory Rate)closely and alternate between 12.5mg Lasix twice a day and three times a day depending on where he is.

                                      When we had a bad time this month we were going to the vet every other day, he wasn't eating and they gave him Mitizaphe (sp?) which sent him into full CHF event, that took another 2 weeks to recover from. So I don't recommend giving an appetite stimulant. The vet told me if he just eats 1/2 of a small can she'd be happy. He ate less than that, maybe 1/4 can for a week, even on this small amount he gained back some weight. He eats more as he feels better, so don't get too freaked if he's not eating much when he's not feeling weel.

                                      So just know that Cats don't want to eat when their breathing is difficult. I give treats just to get something down them, gravy or baby food works too. Try a variety.

                                      Let him rest in a quiet room away from other cats and household activity for a few days.

                                      Be patient, the meds will work but it can be agonizingly slow sometimes.

                                      Hoping for the best,
                                      Rose & Baxter
                                    • kathleen
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 11, 2013
                                        Here is an update on Marlow:
                                        First of all, thank you everyone for all of your help and support. It has made this somewhat easier.
                                        We went to the vet today because he is still acting off and lethargic, and they gave him 200 mL of subcutaneous fluids because his skin tented, and he looked dehydrated. At the vet, he also had blood drawn for a cbc and a chemistry panel which will be ready tomorrow, and the vet listened to his lungs and heart. She graded his murmur at a 3, and said that his lungs sounded good. He is a very upset kitty right now, but hopefully he will be getting better soon.