Re: Hello to All

  • gussielou49
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
      What heart meds. is Bailey on? We have Gus' atenolol compounded into
      a treat/chewable form that works like a charm! His enalapril is in a
      liquid tuna suspension which he loves, too. For aspirin, we use a
      pill splitter and quarter and adult strength tablet and so it's
      small...it goes down easily---we just open his mouth and pop it in
      using our fingers. It seems to get easier each time. The pharmacist
      we use is animal-specific. She is really nice. If you want, I can
      give you her number. She mails Gus' meds. 2-day...it costs about
      $5.
      Good luck, Steph & Gus.

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "kyleb239" <kleblanc@j...> wrote:
      > I have been reading the posts here for a few days now and decided
      > post. Everyone here seems to be very helpful with information and
      > support. My litte man "Bailey" was diagnosed with HCM 2 weeks
      ago.
      > He started out having trouble breathing so I took him to the vet.
      > After xrays, the doc told me what he suspected. HCM was confirmed
      > after an ultrasound. Just to introduce him, he is a brown tabby
      > (probably has Maine Coon in him). He is 8 yrs and weighs 13.5 lbs
      > (use to weight 17). He is a sweety and I've had him since he was 8
      > wks old.
      >
      > He has been on lasix and heart meds for 2 weeks now. He seems to
      be
      > breathing fine and feels better although not quite himself. Its
      hard
      > though because he hates getting medicine. I can't even begin to
      pill
      > him so his heart med is compounded into liquid form which he also
      > hates but its the only way I can get it into him. He is getting
      > quite hostile however and I hate that he is afraid everytime I go
      > near him. The vet gave me some samples of flavored soft discs that
      > medication can be put into, so maybe I will try that next. He
      seems
      > to know when I try to put the meds in treats or can food and turns
      > his nose up. I can't leave them out either because my other kitty
      > might eat it. Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions as
      > to what to try would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Karen
    • Karen LeBlanc
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2002
        Maria,
        Sorry I took so long to respond. I had plumbing problems at home yesterday
        and was away from the pc.
        Wow, 4x a day is alot! I thought 2x was alot. Anyway, thanks for the
        suggestions. For the last couple of days, I have been successful giving
        Bailey his heart med mixed in a little can food. I put just enough to
        disguise the medicine. I was so excited the first time he actually ate it
        all. I didn't put the lasix in it because I thought it might be too much
        and kill the taste of the food. But he takes that much better than the
        heart stuff.

        Hopefully that will continue to work. If not, I will try a new flavor in
        the compounded liquid or maybe the capsule idea....or maybe Ben & Jerry's.
        :-) The baby food is a good idea too.

        Thanks so much!
        Karen

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2002
          Steph & Gus:
          Bailey is on Furosemide Solution for fluid build-up and Cardizem for his
          heart. Also he gets a baby aspirin every 3 days. My vet gave me some
          samples of a treat/chewable to see what flavors he likes before putting the
          meds in it. I may try this for the next prescription.

          I've been crushing the aspirin and putting it in the can food juice and that
          has been working OK so far.

          I guess its all just trial and error until we each find the best way for our
          individual pet. Cat personalities are all so different, thats part of what
          I love about them.

          Sure I'll take your pharmacists number just in case mine doesn't offer other
          flavors to compound the meds in. Thanks!