RE: [FH] Harriet

  • Pam Vojtas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hi Lise,

      Glad to hear that Harriet is doing better!

      Some time ago Cindi (queenditto) mentioned in one of her replies that low
      potassium will make a cat feel very bad. I've also read that you should
      shoot for potassium levels in the middle of the acceptable range (not just
      the low end). I have no recent numbers recorded for Maggie's Potassium
      levels, but I must say that Maggie has certainly been perkier these last few
      weeks. Coincidentally, she starting getting Tumil-K (powder, she hated the
      gel) about the same time as things took a turn for the better. Of course,
      there are many variables to consider, but for what its worth....

      Just what are her potassium numbers? I believe the range is 3.9-5.3. Have
      you asked your Vet whether there is a down side to being proactive and
      supplementing now?

      Pam

      P.S. I know what you mean about the Lasix - I should own stock in my kitty
      litter company!!

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
        If your vet doesn't want to supplements potassium yet, you could always add
        food (peas, babyfood lamb, babyfood banana) which would have some additional
        potassium.

        Use the USDA Nutrient Data site
        http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl to find a "people" food
        high in potassium; a jar of babyfood lamb has 205mg of potassium.

        Linda

      • reallyrosiebooks@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2002
          Lise-
          We sound like twins! The news from the vet was good. I have been
          struggeling with obsessing but have to say I think I might be getting better
          just a bit. By this I mean I am not freaking at first sight of what I think
          is heavier breathing. I am trying to figure out what are my tell tale signs
          which is hard because other than the heavy breathing Tyson was always eating,
          drinking etc.... But I have to say since his starting on meds he seems more
          active, playful, cuddely and isolates less. The breathing is doing well for
          the moment and when I think I see it heavier I give it a couple hours and
          double check and it than seems fine. I think a good rule of thumb (in my
          learning process) is the cat is breathing heavier we will know for sure and
          not because he is purring or anything. But we will learn together and
          hopefully help each other cope together. This group has been amazing to me. A
          real savior. Before I met this group I thought Tyson's days were numbered
          now I am hopeful again (with a splash of "realistic") that cats can live with
          CHF. Keep us posted!

          Heather "Rose"