RE: [FH] Hello to All

  • Karen LeBlanc
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
      Yes I have a piller. He freaks out and I can never get the pill far enough
      back to go down. I have had great success pilling my other cat with it but
      for some reason its easier to use the liquid on Bailey. I may give it
      another try. I just wish I could find a way for him to get the meds without
      him going through a traumatic experience...especially twice a day....for the
      rest of his life. I may give the flavored medicine casing a try or maybe a
      different tasting liquid to mix it in. I've read on a web site that some
      pharmacies offer different flavors to compound the meds in. Its just a
      matter of finding one near me that will do that.

      Thanks for the response.
      Karen

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
        Hi Karen,

        I too have a cat who is nearly impossible to pill, using the
        traditional methods anyway. I was able to take another route...really
        good food treats!

        I have to give my Muffin 9 pills/caps per day (meds
        and suppliments)...fotunately he's gotten used to all of them in his
        food. But his food is all very special, homemade meals: raw organic
        beef or cooked pork, chicken or fish. I mix in a small amount of
        veggies, but mostly it's very high protien. He eats small meals
        (only 1-3 tablespoons per "meal") but the meds are in there. I squash
        up the pills first then add the food and mix well. It took a few days
        to work up to full doses to be acceptable, but now it's just how the
        food tastes as far as he is concerned.

        But sometimes even these tasty options are not enough to
        tempt....so I bring out my secret weapon....Ben and Jerry's!!! I only
        give him about 1 rounded TEAspoonful with the meds mixed in...but he
        always thinks it's an extra special moment....vanilla is the flavour
        of choice! Yoghurt works well too!

        BTW, Muffin has CRF, CHF and Hyper-T.....it IS a roller
        coaster/balancing act to be sure but good food gives him something to
        look forward to and it also keeps us both happy. Sure, it's a little
        more work for me, but I'd rather cook his meat/meals than nurse my
        shredded hands and work at rebuilding trust!!

        Good luck!!!

        Sally and Muffin

        --- In feline-heart@y..., Karen LeBlanc <kleblanc@j...> wrote:
        > Yes I have a piller. He freaks out and I can never get the pill far
        enough
        > back to go down. I have had great success pilling my other cat with
        it but
        > for some reason its easier to use the liquid on Bailey. I may give
        it
        > another try. I just wish I could find a way for him to get the meds
        without
        > him going through a traumatic experience...especially twice a
        day....for the
        > rest of his life. I may give the flavored medicine casing a try or
        maybe a
        > different tasting liquid to mix it in. I've read on a web site that
        some
        > pharmacies offer different flavors to compound the meds in. Its
        just a
        > matter of finding one near me that will do that.
        >
        > Thanks for the response.
        > Karen

        Service.

      • cookielu1999
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
          Sally,
          Muffin is one lucky little pusscat! Ben & Jerry's - Muffin is riding
          1st class!

          Karen,
          When I first started giving multiple pills 4x's day to my kitty she
          resisted frantically. I used meat baby food, but she quickly got
          wise.
          I settled on a pill gun - the one with the white handle and the blue
          rubber tip. It's nice and soft and you can carefully stack a lot of
          pills in it and only pop it in kitty's mouth once. Since it is soft
          you can place it far enough into the back of kitty's throat so that
          the pills can't be spit out. My kitty used to twist her head side
          to side, but eventually with lots of love and positive reinforcement,
          AND persistance she would allow me to quickly pill her w/ the pill
          gun.
          Honestly, I think she finally realized that it was just easier to let
          me give her the pills and get it over with. Orange was a very
          finicky eater from kittenhood and human grade food was
          slop as far as she was concerned. My oldest cat, Maxwell, gets a
          collection of pills and she is great about licking the pill laced
          baby food off my finger - thank you Zellene for helping us with that
          method! Maxwell is a little chow chow kitty and would readily eat
          anything but she is on a restricted diet for IBD.

          One of my worries with compounded liquids is that an unmeasurable
          amount of medication could be slobbered out of the mouth. Ask your
          vet about the flavored liquids, my vet has them in her office!

          When using a compounding pharmacy always aske them how they operate
          as quality assurance is an issue. I specify that the same pharmacist
          make Maxwell's caps each time

          Did anyone mention crushing the pills and filling a gelatin capsule?
          Sorry if I am repeating. A compounding pharmacy could do this for you
          too. Maxwell gets her blood pressure meds in a capsule; I have to
          pill the capsule and I wet it before slipping it down her throat w/
          the pill gun. I have had capsules stick and break in my throat and
          don't want that to happen to her - getting it wet makes it slippery.
          I follow the capsule with more baby food!

          Good luck w/ whatever method you devise. Be sure to use positive
          reinforcement all the time...be creative to keep making post pill a
          happy occasion!
          Maria

        • gussielou49
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
            What heart meds. is Bailey on? We have Gus' atenolol compounded into
            a treat/chewable form that works like a charm! His enalapril is in a
            liquid tuna suspension which he loves, too. For aspirin, we use a
            pill splitter and quarter and adult strength tablet and so it's
            small...it goes down easily---we just open his mouth and pop it in
            using our fingers. It seems to get easier each time. The pharmacist
            we use is animal-specific. She is really nice. If you want, I can
            give you her number. She mails Gus' meds. 2-day...it costs about
            $5.
            Good luck, Steph & Gus.

            --- In feline-heart@y..., "kyleb239" <kleblanc@j...> wrote:
            > I have been reading the posts here for a few days now and decided
            > post. Everyone here seems to be very helpful with information and
            > support. My litte man "Bailey" was diagnosed with HCM 2 weeks
            ago.
            > He started out having trouble breathing so I took him to the vet.
            > After xrays, the doc told me what he suspected. HCM was confirmed
            > after an ultrasound. Just to introduce him, he is a brown tabby
            > (probably has Maine Coon in him). He is 8 yrs and weighs 13.5 lbs
            > (use to weight 17). He is a sweety and I've had him since he was 8
            > wks old.
            >
            > He has been on lasix and heart meds for 2 weeks now. He seems to
            be
            > breathing fine and feels better although not quite himself. Its
            hard
            > though because he hates getting medicine. I can't even begin to
            pill
            > him so his heart med is compounded into liquid form which he also
            > hates but its the only way I can get it into him. He is getting
            > quite hostile however and I hate that he is afraid everytime I go
            > near him. The vet gave me some samples of flavored soft discs that
            > medication can be put into, so maybe I will try that next. He
            seems
            > to know when I try to put the meds in treats or can food and turns
            > his nose up. I can't leave them out either because my other kitty
            > might eat it. Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions as
            > to what to try would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Karen
          • Karen LeBlanc
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 3, 2002
              Maria,
              Sorry I took so long to respond. I had plumbing problems at home yesterday
              and was away from the pc.
              Wow, 4x a day is alot! I thought 2x was alot. Anyway, thanks for the
              suggestions. For the last couple of days, I have been successful giving
              Bailey his heart med mixed in a little can food. I put just enough to
              disguise the medicine. I was so excited the first time he actually ate it
              all. I didn't put the lasix in it because I thought it might be too much
              and kill the taste of the food. But he takes that much better than the
              heart stuff.

              Hopefully that will continue to work. If not, I will try a new flavor in
              the compounded liquid or maybe the capsule idea....or maybe Ben & Jerry's.
              :-) The baby food is a good idea too.

              Thanks so much!
              Karen

> [...]

              with
              > it but
              > > for some reason its easier to use the liquid on Bailey. I may
              give
              > it
              > > another try. I just wish I could find a way for him to get the
              meds
              > without
              > > him going through a traumatic experience...especially twice a
              > day....for the
              > > rest of his life. I may give the flavored medicine casing a try
              or
              > maybe a
              > > different tasting liquid to mix it in. I've read on a web site
              that
              > some
              > > pharmacies offer different flavors to compound the meds in. Its
              > just a
              > > matter of finding one near me that will do that.

            • Karen LeBlanc
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2002
                Steph & Gus:
                Bailey is on Furosemide Solution for fluid build-up and Cardizem for his
                heart. Also he gets a baby aspirin every 3 days. My vet gave me some
                samples of a treat/chewable to see what flavors he likes before putting the
                meds in it. I may try this for the next prescription.

                I've been crushing the aspirin and putting it in the can food juice and that
                has been working OK so far.

                I guess its all just trial and error until we each find the best way for our
                individual pet. Cat personalities are all so different, thats part of what
                I love about them.

                Sure I'll take your pharmacists number just in case mine doesn't offer other
                flavors to compound the meds in. Thanks!