Orange got a clot tonight - paralyzed :(

  • cookielu1999
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2002
      She was paralyzed from the waist down when I got home from work this
      evening. She was fine and gladly jumped up to the kitchen counter
      for her lunch at 2PM, but by 5PM this.

      We ran to our vet, did x-rays to rule out trauma. No blood pressure
      in the rear limbs. She got a shot of heparin in hopes that the clot
      might dislodge.

      When I got home she was paralyzed from the waist down, but by the
      time we got to the vet 10 minutes later she was coming out of it.
      When we left the vet 1.5 hrs later she was alright, but when we got
      home she was paralyzed again and hasn't come out of it again.
      Although she may be trying...had a few tail twitches minutes ago.

      My vet tells me there isn't anything that can be done to disolve
      clots in cats and that considering Orangey's age, 17+ yrs., she
      wouldn't want to put her through MRI or CT scans. Orange is
      uncomfortable, but not in obvious pain. If she makes it through the
      night w/out severe pain tomorrow will be the judge of what I must
      decide for my longtime friend. I fear she will need to be put to
      sleep tomorrow. I've been living w/ this possibility for 2.5 yrs.,
      but it's just not something you can ever be ready for. That which is
      Orangey is fine she still want's food, purrs when I hug and pet her,
      talks to me - she just can't walk.

      Has anyone experienced this and did your kitty rebound? Did you
      persue treatment or did you say goodbye to your cherished friend? I
      want to be sure that I am not missing any possible medical
      treatments. I would appreciate hearing what others have done for
      their kitty's in similar condition as Orangey.

      We will be back at the vet tomorrow AM.
      Thanks, Maria & Miss. Orange
    • reagansmomma
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 27, 2002
        My Murray (3 yrs old) threw a clot a few months ago and was in a lot
        of pain. Even with pain medication he was extremely agitated...and
        he was normally a very mellow guy. I held him while the vet put him
        to sleep. At the time, I didn't know about of Murray's heart
        problems and the whole event was very unexpected. I wasn't presented
        with any options other then PTS by the vet on duty at the hospital.
        If I had known what I know now, I might have given him a day to
        recover and would have gone to a cardiologist in our town. There is
        a big part of me that regrets acting so hastily but a bigger part
        that realizes that he was in a lot of pain and I did the kindest
        thing I could have at the time.

        I hope Orange recovers for you and this is the last clot she sees in
        her lifetime. My thoughts are with you.

        ~Cyndy
        --- In feline-heart@y..., "cookielu1999" <cookielu1999@s...> wrote:
        > She was paralyzed from the waist down when I got home from work
        this
        > evening. She was fine and gladly jumped up to the kitchen counter
        > for her lunch at 2PM, but by 5PM this.
        >
        > We ran to our vet, did x-rays to rule out trauma. No blood
        pressure
        > in the rear limbs. She got a shot of heparin in hopes that the
        clot
        > might dislodge.
        >
        > When I got home she was paralyzed from the waist down, but by the
        > time we got to the vet 10 minutes later she was coming out of it.
        > When we left the vet 1.5 hrs later she was alright, but when we got
        > home she was paralyzed again and hasn't come out of it again.
        > Although she may be trying...had a few tail twitches minutes ago.
        >
        > My vet tells me there isn't anything that can be done to disolve
        > clots in cats and that considering Orangey's age, 17+ yrs., she
        > wouldn't want to put her through MRI or CT scans. Orange is
        > uncomfortable, but not in obvious pain. If she makes it through
        the
        > night w/out severe pain tomorrow will be the judge of what I must
        > decide for my longtime friend. I fear she will need to be put to
        > sleep tomorrow. I've been living w/ this possibility for 2.5 yrs.,
        > but it's just not something you can ever be ready for. That which
        is
        > Orangey is fine she still want's food, purrs when I hug and pet
        her,
        > talks to me - she just can't walk.
        >
        > Has anyone experienced this and did your kitty rebound? Did you
        > persue treatment or did you say goodbye to your cherished friend?
        > want to be sure that I am not missing any possible medical
        > treatments. I would appreciate hearing what others have done for
        > their kitty's in similar condition as Orangey.
        >
        > We will be back at the vet tomorrow AM.
        > Thanks, Maria & Miss. Orange
      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 27, 2002
          it is my understanding...unfortunately...that once kitties throw clots there
          are likely to continue doing so.....what else has your vet told you...what
          kind of guidance did he give you???

          linda and the boys

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 27, 2002
            Oh Maria!

            Last year my 19 yo orange Muffin suddenly was paralized and I
            feared the worst...but it turned out not to be a blood clot, he had
            fallen badly while I was out to the store. It took a week for him to
            be able to stand up on his own again. And he is still here a year
            later...but he does have a wobble.

            I grilled my vet about blood clots when this happened and she said
            that unless there are other serious factors involved, she recommends
            giving the kitty a chance to recover...many do apparently. She
            mentioned Heparin and that it can be effective in some cases so
            it's very much worth trying. But, and this is the hard part,
            apparently once a kitty has thrown a clot it seems that their risk for
            doing it again down the road increases by quite a bit. Still others do
            it once or twice and then never again....it's one of those mysterious
            conditions that cannot be mapped very clearly...but she felt that this
            was actually an advantage since more difficulty in predictability also
            meant more possible outcomes...some very positive, some not so
            positive...

            My vet also said she know of some extrodinary kitties who have
            adapted to using little kitty wheelchair like devices and their
            devoted caregivers are of course supremely dedicated...I'm not sure I
            would want that for my Muffs, but it all depends on each individual.

            Have a long talk with Orangey...and your vet. If you listen with
            your heart I'm sure you'll do what is best for her. You both are in my
            prayers.

            Sally

            --- In feline-heart@y..., "cookielu1999" <cookielu1999@s...> wrote:
            > She was paralyzed from the waist down when I got home from work this
            > evening. She was fine and gladly jumped up to the kitchen counter
            > for her lunch at 2PM, but by 5PM this.
            >
            > We ran to our vet, did x-rays to rule out trauma. No blood pressure
            > in the rear limbs. She got a shot of heparin in hopes that the clot
            > might dislodge.
            >
            > When I got home she was paralyzed from the waist down, but by the
            > time we got to the vet 10 minutes later she was coming out of it.
            > When we left the vet 1.5 hrs later she was alright, but when we got
            > home she was paralyzed again and hasn't come out of it again.
            > Although she may be trying...had a few tail twitches minutes ago.
            >
            > My vet tells me there isn't anything that can be done to disolve
            > clots in cats and that considering Orangey's age, 17+ yrs., she
            > wouldn't want to put her through MRI or CT scans. Orange is
            > uncomfortable, but not in obvious pain. If she makes it through the
            > night w/out severe pain tomorrow will be the judge of what I must
            > decide for my longtime friend. I fear she will need to be put to
            > sleep tomorrow. I've been living w/ this possibility for 2.5 yrs.,
            > but it's just not something you can ever be ready for. That which
            is
            > Orangey is fine she still want's food, purrs when I hug and pet her,
            > talks to me - she just can't walk.
            >
            > Has anyone experienced this and did your kitty rebound? Did you
            > persue treatment or did you say goodbye to your cherished friend? I
            > want to be sure that I am not missing any possible medical
            > treatments. I would appreciate hearing what others have done for
            > their kitty's in similar condition as Orangey.
            >
            > We will be back at the vet tomorrow AM.
            > Thanks, Maria & Miss. Orange
          • jeannewar
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 27, 2002
              Unfortunately I was in your same shoes last Oct. 1. We were gone for
              the day and when we came in, Dom came running as usual to have his
              tummy rubbed. In about 15 minutes, we noticed he was dragging his
              rear end across the floor. His back legs were not working. I called
              the ER vet, it was 1 AM in the morning and we took him in right away.
              She said Dom still had a weak pulse in his back legs but his lungs
              were terrible. He had panted the entire 30 minute drive. Those that
              were on this board back then rememeber me saying that I had decided
              to do nothing heroic to try and continue Doms life any longer. So,
              when she said she thought the clot had broken in 2 and there ws also
              a part of it going to the lungs. (Dom did have asthma too). DH and I
              discussed it on the drive there and watching him struggle to even
              breathe, I knew what I thought needed to be done for Dom. I did ask
              the ER vet what she would do if he were her cat and she said PTS
              would be the kind thing as he was in pain. She also said that when a
              cat starts to throw clots, there may be more of them. Doesn't have to
              be though but I weighed Doms options and what I wanted for him. For
              me, I wanted to give him oxygen and bring him home etc. but I knew
              that I had to do what was right for him, not me.
              This is a very hard thing to do but look and talk to Orange and you
              will figure it out. No one knows your cat better than you! I really
              think cats let you know how they feel etc. if you spend time with
              them. I beleive in fighting the good fight but there just comes a
              time when enough is enough.
              This is just my own thoughts and opinions. I also had to PTS a cat
              many years ago with bad kidneys and it never gets easier!
              Good luck and I hope Orange responds for you and if not, I know you
              will find the courage to do what you have to do for Orange.

              Jeanne, Lou, Bono, angels Dom & Snickers

              --- In feline-heart@y..., "cookielu1999" <cookielu1999@s...> wrote:
              > She was paralyzed from the waist down when I got home from work
              this
              > evening. She was fine and gladly jumped up to the kitchen counter
              > for her lunch at 2PM, but by 5PM this.
              >
              > We ran to our vet, did x-rays to rule out trauma. No blood
              pressure
              > in the rear limbs. She got a shot of heparin in hopes that the
              clot
              > might dislodge.
              >
              > When I got home she was paralyzed from the waist down, but by the
              > time we got to the vet 10 minutes later she was coming out of it.
              > When we left the vet 1.5 hrs later she was alright, but when we got
              > home she was paralyzed again and hasn't come out of it again.
              > Although she may be trying...had a few tail twitches minutes ago.
              >
              > My vet tells me there isn't anything that can be done to disolve
              > clots in cats and that considering Orangey's age, 17+ yrs., she
              > wouldn't want to put her through MRI or CT scans. Orange is
              > uncomfortable, but not in obvious pain. If she makes it through
              the
              > night w/out severe pain tomorrow will be the judge of what I must
              > decide for my longtime friend. I fear she will need to be put to
              > sleep tomorrow. I've been living w/ this possibility for 2.5 yrs.,
              > but it's just not something you can ever be ready for. That which
              is
              > Orangey is fine she still want's food, purrs when I hug and pet
              her,
              > talks to me - she just can't walk.
              >
              > Has anyone experienced this and did your kitty rebound? Did you
              > persue treatment or did you say goodbye to your cherished friend?
              > want to be sure that I am not missing any possible medical
              > treatments. I would appreciate hearing what others have done for
              > their kitty's in similar condition as Orangey.
              >
              > We will be back at the vet tomorrow AM.
              > Thanks, Maria & Miss. Orange
            • cookielu1999
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 27, 2002
                Thank you so much for sharing Cyndy, Heather, Linda & the boys,
                Sally, and Jeanne,Lo, Bono & angels Dom & Snickers.

                At 6pm Orange has begun shallow rapid breathing and is occasionally
                crying out now. I have been w/ her most all day to observe whether
                she is having pain. She is now. I have been helping her to the
                water bowl and holding her paw most of the day. She is no longer
                interested in eating - even her favorite, roasted chicken. One of
                the paralyzed legs has stiffened and she is soooo cold now -
                everywhere, not just the back legs. We had a talk and she gave me a
                look and I know what she was saying. I cannot let my lovely little
                friend suffer, not after all the joy she has given me and how kind
                and loving. She has been such a good kitty..not once has she ever
                misbehaved.

                I just spoke w/ my vet. I have decided to let Miss. Orange go
                tonight. The house call vet will be calling me back momentarily with
                an ETA. This is the first time I have had to do this.
                Thanks for the support and help.
                Maria
              • gussielou49
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 27, 2002
                  We will be thinking of you & Orange...take care, Steph & Gus