Re: How do you do it?!!

  • cookielu1999
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2002
      Yes, thank you so much for the detailed account Z. It helps a lot to
      understand what another person does, and how she does it.

      Sounds like Widgie enjoys a variety of foods. You are very lucky
      indeed. Orange is a really picky eater. She won't even eat baby
      food with anything in it. I roast chicken for her, she likes that -
      but not if anything is being passed off with it. Thanks for insight
      on preparing beef heart. I was intimidated by it...have bought it
      twice only to let it go bad because I was afraid if I didn't cook it
      properly it would do more harm than good. But you safely feed it
      raw, so I see my concern is unfounded! Do you purchase the heart
      from sources that don't feed hormones, or is that not really a
      concern?

      I am not a vegetarian, but I have always disliked the practice of
      raising veal. Now I find myself w/ a 19 yr. old kitty with IBD who
      can only tolerate veal. I just can't allow myself to think about it.

      Like Widgie Orange also has some asthma. She doesn't require
      inhalers but this is why she is still on Lasix and methylpred. When
      the vet 1st discovered her congestive heart failure she didn't think
      Orange would survive more than 3 months because of the severity of
      the pleural effusion...I'm very glad the vet was so wrong.

      So far I have been very blessed w/ Button too. Her cardiologist said
      she might see her 1st birthday.....and guess what! Button is a year
      old now!!!! No seizures, no cyanotic episodes, not passing
      out...just a tiny bit of open mouth breathing when she plays too
      hard. Button is my baby w/ lots of inoperable congenital heart
      defects. I put a lot of effort into finding surgical help for her,
      but there is none - at least not until heart/lung pump companies
      decide it would be profitable for them to make cannulas of a size to
      accomodate kitties blood vessels.

      I will ask my vet if Orange can/should give the Tumil-K a try. from
      your experience Z, do you think it could have a positive effect on
      Orangey's appetite? Luckily Orange's kidney function is still good.

      Thanks again. Thanks for taking such good care of your kitty babies
      and sharing your wealth of experience with the rest of us.
      Maria