atenolol

  • tori
    Message 1 of 45 , Jun 15, 2002
      Ri, I'm sorry about scruffy. I worry about jcee all the time and knowing
      that he wont be around as long as some doesn't make it easier. But thank you
      for the generous offer. I'll take the atenolol and ask my vet if I should
      increase the dose because of the expiration date. The stuff is so expensive
      and I have to buy other meds and special food too. So it will help. I can
      pay for postage? write me at tori@... and I'll send you my address.

      ::tori

      on 6/15/02 16:16, feline-heart@yahoogroups.com at
      feline-heart@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 20:38:14 -0000
      > From: "scruffymuff2002" <scruffymuff2002@...>
      > Subject: Atenolol
      >
      > Hi there. My name is Ri, and I am new to the group, and haven't
      > posted before. I lost my 5yr old persian, Scruffy, to heart disease
      > this past January. I wish I had found your group before that. But I
      > have an unopened bottle of Atenolol, 25mg, 100 tablets, if anyone
      > here can use it. Unfortunately, it's expiration date is July 2002.
      > If anyone is interested, please e-mail me and I would be willing to
      > send it to you.

    • joanne marbut
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 21, 2012
        ACE inhibitors like Enalapril work on the blood veins and are used to keep all blood veins opened and to prevent the decreased size or the restriction on veins, especially in case of a heart attack. When the blood pressure declines due to a heart attack (or blood loss due to injury), the body shuts down all veins except those to the heart, head, and kidneys. Eventually-through release of enzymes, the angiotensin is created that shuts down all veins except the crucial ones. EXCEPT that in doing so it raises blood pressure and a damaged heart such as an HCM heart cannot handle the same volume of blood running through a more narrow channel which makes the heart circulate it faster and therefore pump harder to do so.  The ACE inhibitor inhibits the ACE properties from taking place, allowing the blood veins to remain open.

        Atenolol is a beta blocker which doesn't work on the blood veins but works instead on the heart. The result is much the same-no hypertension and an easing of the pumping of the heart.

        An HCM cat may need both. Mine is on both as well as lasix, Plavix, and spironolactone, and now aspirin.