Re: Heart Murmurs/ Chief

  • gussielou49
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 7, 2002
      Debbie: great news about Chief! Gus has the same exact diagnosis,
      except he has a grade 3 murmur. Just reading your post gave me more
      hope! It is so nice to hear a positive side to all of this! Thanks
      for sharing the news. -Steph & Gus

      --- In feline-heart@y..., Debbie Graham <debgram_2000@y...> wrote:

      > My Chief just turned a year old when we found out he had a heart
      murmur grade 4/6. He didn't have one prior to that. Because of such
      a high grade they did a ultrasound and found he has hypertrophic
      obstructive cardiomyopathy. First, I have pet insurance and they
      won't pay for it because they consider it hereditary since he was
      that young. If he was older, they would consider that a getting
      older disease and then they would pay. The vet told me also, that is
      a disease of the younger cat. He is on medication and Monday when we
      took him for another ultrasound, she said he had no more heart
      murmur, the thickening of the heart muscle is getting a little
      thinner, and the mitral valve that was obstructing the normal blood
      flow is controlled now. This was very good news. She also told me,
      the heart will never be completely healthy or normal but we can get
      it as close as possible. If a regular vet listens to the murmur I
      don't know if they can tell the grade but a cardiologist can. Also
      they can't tell the damage if any, unless they do a ultrasound. I
      have to travel 2 hours away to get to the one we see.
      > Also some kittens grow out of the murmur. If the kitten is a year
      old and still has a murmur I would have it checked out.
      > I hope this has helped you some.
      > Debbie and Chief
      > nakedkittens <nakedkittens@y...> wrote: Hi. I breed Sphynx cats
      and have a couple questions about feline
      > heart murmurs. I had a litter born several months ago, and when
      they
      > were placed in their new homes, they were vet checked prior to
      being
      > placed...twice. Today, one of the owners finally took the kitten to
      > the vet (two months after picking the kitten up), and she says the
      > vet said the kitten has a Grade4 heart murmur. The vet did not do
      an
      > ultra sound or xray. He simply listened to her with the
      stethoscope.
      > My first question is: Can a kitten develop a heart murmur later in
      > life when one was not detected previously?
      > Secondly, can a vet judge if the murmur is hereditary or caused by
      > other problems by simply listening?
      > And lastly, can a vet judge the grade of the murmur by simply
      > listening?
      > I thankyou all in advance.

      Service.

      > Visit Bailey & Chief
      at:http://pages.ivillage.com/debgram/debsfelinefine/

    • nakedkittens
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 8, 2002
        They are Sphynx cats. Again, I'm just completely stumped because
        after contacting the breeders on both sides of the parents,we have
        been unable to pinpoint which parent carries the gene! It's so
        frustrating! But we'll get to the bottom of it soon, I hope. Thanks
        for the information. ;O)

        > What breed are they? Maine Coons, Ragdolls and
        > American Shorthairs have a known genetic
        > predisposition. In addition only one parent need have
        > the gene.
      • Melody Woods
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 8, 2002
          Bella wants attention so very quickly

          You might want to check out the CFA website. another source for info would
          be the list fan health......you could join that or the fanciers list..In
          cats and dogs certain breeders do have definite inherited problems..example
          Cavalier king Charles Spaniels..we had a sweet little Girl who we lost age
          6 / heart related problems. ..Researchers announced a few years later its
          endemic to Cavs / very high percent of Cavs have inherited heart problems /
          over 60 percent..another example pkd inherited kidney failure in Persian
          cats not
          NON inherited kidney failure we are used to seeing .on crf lists...Bella
          has non inherited
          but many Persians, some Siamese, other breeds/ domestic shorthairs too
          are born having this problem.....these days many responsible breeders have a
          clause in their contract detailing their obligations if an inherited
          condition arises..and so do some state laws check yours out .

          for info on way courts rule on inherited conditions animal sales check out
          our files on my list petlawwpupsandkitty@yahoogroups.com
          contracts list has examples
          of these newer contracts

          ..
          > They are Sphynx cats. Again, I'm just completely

          ] Re: Heart Murmurs

          > They are Sphynx cats. Again, I'm just completely stumped because
          > after contacting the breeders on both sides of the parents,we have
          > been unable to pinpoint which parent carries the gene! It's so
          > frustrating! But we'll get to the bottom of it soon, I hope. Thanks
          > for the information. ;O)
          >

          > > What breed are they? Maine Coons, Ragdolls and
          > > American Shorthairs have a known genetic
          > > predisposition. In addition only one parent need have
          > > the gene.

        • esespin2
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 7, 2012
            I just read Karen's response to Suzanne about Chloe and have a question. My cat was diagnosed with a heart murmur when he was about 5 years old. The radiologist said it was a mild insignificant mitral regurgitation with no anatomical changes 9 years ago. His vet who is Board Certified Internist says the murmur is not changed. He has chronic pancreatitis and now high blood pressure that we are trying to get under control. He was getting 1/4 amlodipine but will now get 1/2 (2.5mg pill). His blood tests show everything normal except slightly high ALT which he always has had since pan. and glucose of 188), T4 2.5 so this appears to be primary hypertension. Would a follow-up US be needed in this situation. My vet doesn't think so. Thanks.

            Elise
          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 7, 2012
              Hi Elise

              Heart murmurs due to valve regurgitation are nothing to do with HCM. They
              are basically flappy valves and seem to be common in pedigree cats. Several
              of my cats with grade 1-2 murmurs have these and it should not progress or
              have an effect on their lives.

              However HCM can develop in any cat, with or without valve regurgitation. If
              there are any changes or worries, an ultrasound is the way forward to get
              a definite diagnosis.

            • Karen Plasket
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 7, 2012
                Unless he is having problems, I wouldn't necessarily run out to get an US...he is fine as long as the murmur hasn't changed...Internists are pretty good with the heart, too, so I wouldn't worry so much about getting an US. If he starts to have clinical signs (fainting episodes, increased respiration rate, open-mouth breathing) or your vet says the murmur has changed, then I would def. get an US right away.
                Karen

                I just read Karen's response to Suzanne about Chloe and have a question. My cat was diagnosed with a heart murmur when he was about 5 years old. The radiologist said it was a mild insignificant mitral regurgitation with no anatomical changes 9 years ago. His vet who is Board Certified Internist says the murmur is not changed. He has chronic pancreatitis and now high blood pressure that we are trying to get under control. He was getting 1/4 amlodipine but will now get 1/2 (2.5mg pill). His blood tests show everything normal except slightly high ALT which he always has had since pan. and glucose of 188), T4 2.5 so this appears to be primary hypertension. Would a follow-up US be needed in this situation. My vet doesn't think so. Thanks.

                Elise

              • Judi Levens
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 7, 2012
                  To both of you I suggest US. The risk is you could lose your cat. Better to know. Judi & Angel Max

                  Sent from my iPhone