Re: HCM+diabetes? how hard to manage?

  • marcijoy2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2002
      I have been treating a diabetic cat for 2 years (not my HCM cat).
      Treating diabetes by itself is very easy. Home blood testing is a
      snap once you get the hang of it. You use the same glucometers that
      human diabetics use. And giving insulin shots is 100 times easier
      than giving pills. (What I wouldn't give to be able to give Morris
      injections of diltiazem and lasix instead of pilling him!) The whole
      routine takes about 15 min in the morning and 15 min at night. And I
      have a very hyeractive diabetic cat. If you have a lazy lapcat who
      just wants cuddling and will stay in one place, it should take you
      half as long.

      As others have said, www.felinediabetes.com is a great place to go
      for advice. They can provide you with info on giving shots, home
      blood testing, ketone testing (I explain more about that below), and
      how to save money doing all this.

      In addition, if you want to email me privately, I'm at
      foxfried@.... (FYI, I just adjusted my settings so I don't
      automatically get all the posts on this board emailed to me, so it
      would probably be a good idea to send me a private email rather than
      wait for me to answer a post to the board.)

      Some things you should know.

      1. When treating diabetes plus another serous disease, you treat the
      other disease first. Meaning that you would give food, medicine, etc.
      appropriate for a cat with HCM, and adjust the insulin dose to deal
      with these things. This is pretty easy to do if you are testing blood
      glucose at home.

      2. Stress, particularly the stress of going to the vet, can raise
      blood glucose numbers a lot, so the glucose number the vet gave you
      may not be accurate. This is why home testing is so important.

      3. Illness can raise the blood glucose level. Since your cat is not
      feeling well, that could be the reason for the high blood glucose
      level. (FYI, the blood glucose level you mentioned is not that
      uncommon for a newly diagnosed diabetic cat.)

      4. The heart medication could be causing or aggravating the
      diabetes. Changing or stopping any of the meds might change the
      blood glucose level and the insulin requirement, which is why home
      blood glucose testing is very important.

      5. VERY IMPORTANT--Has your vet checked your cat for ketones? These
      are substances that build up in the blood when the cat doesn't get
      enough insulin, doesn't get enough food, or has an infection. Too
      much ketones in the blood can lead to a fatal condition called
      diabetic ketoacidosis. You should immediatley purchase a box
      of "ketostix" or "ketodiastix" at the drugstore and start testing
      urine for ketones. Ketones can build up very fast, and they are the
      type of thing that are cheap and easy to treat in the beginning when
      they are at a low level, very expensive and hard to treat when
      they've built up to a high level.

      Once again, feline diabetes is an easily managed disease. Most
      diabetic cats die of old age or complications from other diseases.
      Tigger, my diabetic, has been fine in the 2 years since diagnosis and
      has not had any complications at all. I have a feeling the only
      problems you will have will have to do with the HCM, which you are
      alreay dealing with.

      Good luck,
      Marcia and Morris (HCM) and Tigger (diabetic)