OMG GREAT NEWS FOR CHIEF!!!!!

  • debgram_2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
      Just got back from Columbus and the cardiologist was so happy she
      came bouncing in the room! Here's what she said: Chief has no heart
      murmur, his heart rate is well controlled at 130 which was 240 the
      last time they saw him, his left ventricle (main heart pump) showed
      mild thickening, this is much improved both walls of his heart are
      thinner than they were in Feburary, his left atrium is remaining
      normal size, he has no leak of his mitral valve & his dynamic
      obstruction is well controlled, and his heart muscle pumping function
      is normal, everything is well controlled and leading to some
      regression of hypertrophy.

      This all means that the medication is doing what it's supposed to.
      She said that she has never seen a heart get completely well but his
      is heading in the good direction. Before the mitral valve was
      obstructing the blood flow, now the blood flow is very good. We have
      to take him back for another ultrasound in 6-9 months. Next Tuesday
      we take him back to possible do an ultrasound on his kidneys to find
      out why he keeps getting blood in his urine. They couldn't do a
      urine test today because she wants to do a further check-up on him.

      I'm so happy he's doing better, now if we could find out why he's
      peeing where's he's not supposed to. Thanks for everyone's prayers
      and good thoughts.

      Love,

      Debbie and Chief
    • Lynnie Henderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
        Great news!
      • Debbie Graham
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
          Thanks Lynnie!!
          Deb and Chief
          Lynnie Henderson <lynnie_henderson@...> wrote: Great news!

          Visit Bailey & Chief at:http://pages.ivillage.com/debgram/debsfelinefine/

        • sallymerlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
            YAY Debbie and Chief!!!!!

            This is excellent!!!

            My Muffin had many YEARS of some strange undiagnosable (is that even
            a word?) blood in his urine. SOmetimes it was visible, sometimes only
            the dipstick test would show it. We tested up one side and down
            the other...but nothing conclusive. What appears to be working is we
            cut back his tapazole (thyroid med) by 1/2 to a very tiny dose and we
            stopped giving the asprin. I am nervous about not having the asprin to
            thin his blood, but having it (blood) show up in his bladder/urine was
            not good either. Now he seems to have settled out and we don't see it
            or find it with the dipstick....so perhaps Chief may want to try this
            as well.

            Again, congrats, fantastic news! We all need to hear that this
            disease can sometimes be turned back a little...these meds are
            amazing!

            YAY CHIEF!!!!!!!!

            --- In feline-heart@y..., "debgram_2000" <debgram_2000@y...> wrote:
            > Just got back from Columbus and the cardiologist was so happy she
            > came bouncing in the room! Here's what she said: Chief has no heart
            > murmur, his heart rate is well controlled at 130 which was 240 the
            > last time they saw him, his left ventricle (main heart pump) showed
            > mild thickening, this is much improved both walls of his heart are
            > thinner than they were in Feburary, his left atrium is remaining
            > normal size, he has no leak of his mitral valve & his dynamic
            > obstruction is well controlled, and his heart muscle pumping
            function
            > is normal, everything is well controlled and leading to some
            > regression of hypertrophy.
            >
            > This all means that the medication is doing what it's supposed to.
            > She said that she has never seen a heart get completely well but his
            > is heading in the good direction. Before the mitral valve was
            > obstructing the blood flow, now the blood flow is very good. We
            have
            > to take him back for another ultrasound in 6-9 months. Next Tuesday
            > we take him back to possible do an ultrasound on his kidneys to find
            > out why he keeps getting blood in his urine. They couldn't do a
            > urine test today because she wants to do a further check-up on him.

            > I'm so happy he's doing better, now if we could find out why he's
            > peeing where's he's not supposed to. Thanks for everyone's prayers
            > and good thoughts.
            >
            > Love,
            >
            > Debbie and Chief
          • Debbie Graham
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
              Thanks Sally! The only medication Chief is on is the Atenolol. They were thinking he may have a kidney infection so they want to do an ultrasound of that. He has had about 5-6 UTI's in less than a year and they want to check now why this is happening so often. They said if it is a kidney infection we need to fix that because too many of them will cause kidney damage.
              Deb
              sallymerlin <sallymerlin@...> wrote: YAY Debbie and Chief!!!!!

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
                Hi Debbie and Chief,

                That Atenelol is great stuff, isn't it?! Muffin's murmur went from
                a 3+ to nothing over the course of about 6 months on that stuff. He
                was diagnosed with severe HCM two years ago and is still ticking
                along, so I am a believer in the stuff.

                Good luck with the ultrasound...sounds like Chief is in good hands!

                Best wishes,

                Sally