Bleach is gone...

  • akita328
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
      I just wanted to tell you that we had to let Bleach go this morning.

      She threw another blood clot Saturday morning and woke us up
      at 6am. Last year it was only her front paw that was affected.
      This time paralyzed her both hind legs which is the worst kind.

      We found her howling in pain and panting rolling around on the
      floor. She was so panic-ed she just kept grabbing me and biting
      me (hard, but no skin broke, as usual). When I brought out her
      cat carrier, she actually dragged herself to it, and clawed her way
      in (I helped her a bit, but she made it in most of the way herself!).

      That was surprising to us, but I guess she knew she needed
      help, or wanted to get off the hard floor onto more confined,
      softer place.

      We took her to the emergency room. They tried to treat her for 24
      hours, but she just got worse. In the course of testing, we also
      found out that she has turned diabetic (ironically, I had planned
      to get a urine sample to my usual vet on the day she got
      hospitalized, since she's been drinking a lot of water). So the
      doctors put her on heparin, insulin and some sedative,
      antibiotics, and pain killer. Last night when we visited her, she
      had just wedged herself in the back corner of the cage, facing
      away from the door. She barely responded to my touch and
      seemed more annoyed by being touched, but at least she was
      somewhat upright. It did not look good at all though, and at that
      point I was starting to wonder if I should have not even tried to
      treat her this time (we knew it was very bad when we took her to
      the hospital, and was fully prepared to put her to sleep
      immediately to spare her the pain, but the vet wanted to try to
      treat her, so we consented).

      But this morning, we got a call from the vet saying that she is
      getting worse, and is starting to suffer badly. By the time we got
      to the hospital, she was totally unresponsive, shallow breaths
      and mewing softly. She was crying out when the vet brought her
      out, but she quickly quieted down as soon as I got to her, so I
      think she recognized me. But she could barely move her head
      lying sideways, and was in obvious distress. So we decided to
      let her go. She went quietly with her head lying on my hand.

      She's been acting out-of-sorts for about 2 weeks, so I guess I
      knew it was coming. I've been letting her out to explore the yard
      and have some fun, and also been trying to give her more of her
      favorite food (she's been an indoor cat all her life, so a
      supervised exploration in the front patio among my potted plants
      was a treat for her). Thanks to the digital camera we have
      several good pictures of her from the night before the ordeal
      started too.

      Poor kitty. We knew this day will be coming, but knowing doesn't
      help, obviously. Matt (my husband) & I are terribly upset, but we
      knew this was the right thing to do. I just wish she didn't have to
      spend her last 24 hrs in a cage in a strange place (although I
      know it helped her with the pain by being there, but it's just not
      home). It's really hard, since she always greeted me at the door
      when I returned home, and followed me around like a puppy all
      her life (very un-cat like behavior). We were so attached to
      eachother, even if Bleach is in deep sleep, she will wake up
      immediately and follow me to the next room if I got up and
      moved. Now I come home to an empty doorway, and no one
      tripping at my feet.

      I miss her terribly already, and having all her momentos around
      the house doesn't help. She was a creature of habit, and there
      are too many articles that has a strong association with her
      habits.

      We asked for a private cremation and will be getting her ashes
      back in about 2 weeks. I don't know what I'll do after that, but I
      just couldn't bear the thought of communal cremation knowing
      how much she didn't like being with other pets.

      We are now left with one cat (Matt's cat.. one-cat, one-human
      household got combined to two-cat, two-human household
      about 3 years ago). He's usually not very affectionate, and is
      aloof, but for the past day, he's been very gracious about me
      constantly picking him up and petting him (I did that all the time
      to Bleach). But my super lap-kitty is gone, and I feel terrible.
      She had her quirks, but was the gentlest, caring cat I've ever met.

      Bleach--
      Born April 1989
      Adopted Jan 23 1990
      Crossed the continent 4 times during her life (got lots of
      compliments from the flight crew on how calm she was!)
      Crossed the bridge June 2 2002

      Isako
    • sallymerlin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
        Dear Isako,

        I am so sorry for your loosing your little buddy...you are in my
        prayers...

        Sally

        --- She had her quirks, but was the gentlest, caring cat I've ever
        met.

        > Bleach--
        > Born April 1989
        > Adopted Jan 23 1990
        > Crossed the continent 4 times during her life (got lots of
        > compliments from the flight crew on how calm she was!)
        > Crossed the bridge June 2 2002
        >
        > Isako
      • reagansmomma
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2002
          I'm so very sorry about Bleach. My Murray threw a clot to his rear
          legs in March and it was just so very horrible. I released him from
          his pain that same morning. I didn't realize Murray even had a heart
          condition so it was such a terrible shock. I know how horrible and
          unbelievably sad you are feeling to lose your baby. It sounds like
          you did everything you could to give her a fighting chance and then
          you released her from her nightmare. You are a good and loving pet
          owner...she was so lucky to have you.

          ~Cyndy

        • marcijoy2002
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2002
            I am so sorry. Bleach is at the Rainbow Bridge now and no longer in
            pain.

            Marcia and Morris