Re: [FH] HCM + Diabetes

  • MJ&AR
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2002
      Are you aware of fructosamine tests???? These tests are done monthly to
      monitor insulin levels in the body. So the pet doesn't have to be tested
      daily or even weekly. Just curious if anyone knows of this test. Iknow this
      is not the diabetes group but I thought I's ask.
      MJ & sweet angel Thena & 6
      "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
      Anatole France
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2002
        Fructosamine tests will only tell you the average blood glucose level
        over a long period of time (I think it's the past 6 weeks before the
        test.) They will not tell you what your cat's blood glucose level is
        at a particular instant in time. Only blood glucose testing will. For
        example, it's possible that your cat could have an average normal (or
        even high) blood glucose level, but one day he might happen to have
        low blood glucose and if you didn't know that you could give him his
        full dose of insulin and cause him to have a hypoglycemic episode.
        Also, since fructosamine just shows an average level, it's possible
        to have a normal fructosamine, with the blood glucose being extremely
        high 1/2 the time and extremely low 1/2 the time.

        The main purpose of fructosamine tests is for testing a diabetic cat
        that you think is well-regulated, to see how well he is regulated.
        If your cat's blood glucose level isn't under control, the
        fructosamine is only going to tell you that the blood glucose level
        isn't under control, something you already know. You can't adjust
        the insulin dose based on fructosamine because it doesn't tell how
        high or how low the blood glucose level is actually going every
        day. Fructosamine tests are quite expensive (my vet has to send
        them to a special lab, not the one that he usually uses.) In my
        opinion, they are a waste of money for a diabetic cat that is not yet
        regulated. Tigger will be diabetic for 2 years this July and he has
        had only one fructosamine test, and his glucose level was regulated
        at the time, based on home blood glucose testing. It was more of a
        confidence booster for me (since numbers came out OK), but didn't
        really help Tigger's therapy in any way.

        I will repeat, hometesting is easy and relatively inexpensive. The
        Feline Diabetes Board can show the way.

        I especially recommend hometesting for a cat with HCM as the
        medication effects the blood glucose level, and changing the meds
        because of changes in the heart condition could cause changes in
        insulin requirement.

        Marcia

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/