what's going on?

  • Jenny Krieg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2002
      Hi Everyone - I need your help again. Please forgive the long post.

      Background:
      My 5 yr old boy, Pucaru, has (severe) mitral valve stenosis and papillary
      dysplasia. He's on diltiazem, lotensin, lasix, digoxin, theophylline and
      aspirin. The theophylline because he was having breathing problems. Also
      because of the breathing problems he was switched from atenolol to the
      digoxin.
      Repeat ECHO on 5/21 was essentially stable, with the left atrium slightly
      larger than the last exam.
      I had been giving him wet food as a treat after the twice weekly aspirin,
      but lately he was refusing it, so I'd put a little in his mouth to be sure
      he had something on his stomach, as I feed the cats free choice. His weight
      had decreased slightly, but does fluctuate sometimes.
      On 5/24 I left on vacation & a friend came over twice a day to feed cats &
      medicate Pucaru. She said he was fine in the beginning, although he did
      hide from her. She didn't observe him eating while she was there, but
      that's not unusual. The last 2 days, though, she said he was withdrawn and
      wouldn't play after being medicated.
      I came home late on 5/31 and something was obviously wrong. He had lost
      weight, wasn't his normal clean self and looked at me strangely. Did
      scratch on the couch a bit (normal). I tried to give him some wet food & he
      refused it, but did wash his paw after I put some in his mouth. He also
      seemed dehydrated, so I got worried. Called the cardiologist's office & the
      intern on call didn't think it was heart related but suggested I take him to
      an emergency clinic.
      I did & they did a chest x-ray & bloodwork. Said he was a bit dehydrated
      &his potassium was low, white blood slightly elevated and kidney values
      slightly elevated (I think they had been a bit high already). Recommended I
      either leave him there for iv fluids - didn't want to do subcutaneous
      because of his heart - or take him home & give diluted (50%) pedialyte. I
      took him home.
      Also followed up with my regular vet's partner the next morning who gave me
      a potassium supplement & suggested either subcu fluids with B complex or
      said I could continue the pedialyte. I was hesitant about the subcu after
      the emer. vet's caution, so decided on home therapy. This vet thought
      Pucaru's main problem was the trauma of me being gone. He is a clingy
      kitty, and I had one cat who didn't eat on his own for a week after being
      left at the vet's for a day once, but I just don't know.

      What's happening now:
      Pucaru is very withdrawn and is hiding under a blanket on the couch. I have
      been giving him pedialyte which he hates and his medications, but skipped
      the aspirin he was due this morning in case his stomach is hurting. I also
      gave him some cat food mixed with water by syringe, which he hated, too. He
      is listless and has the 3rd eyelid showing. I got him to purr a bit
      yesterday early pm, but he hasn't since. He doesn't seem to want my company
      (very unusual). I don't know if he's withdrawing to try & heal himself, or
      doesn't care. Last night went to the litterbox and urinated and did have a
      pretty large & normal looking stool, so he had to have been eating, right?
      He still seems to respond to being scratched under his chin.

      I'm just terrified. If anyone has had experience with a similar situation,
      I'd really appreciate your input.

      Thank you so much,
      Jenny
    • sallymerlin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2002
        Hi Jenny,

        I am no expert but I would advise that if your kitty has not eaten
        by Monday morning you probably should see a vet ASAP. Things can go
        quickly wrong with kitties when they don't eat and hiding etc, while
        possibly just sulking, could also be indiacting something worse.

        Your kitty may be dehydrated and may need some fluids, bu tthis is
        tricky with CHF....you have to give small amounts and not overload the
        heart, IF ...BIG IF, the vet says it's OK....

        But I would really think about seeing your vet...before things get
        worse...not saying they will, but why not check just to be sure.

        Good luck!

        Sally