Flax oil

  • zellenesa
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2002
      There has been a great deal of discussion on holisticat about flax
      oil and whether cats can process veggie oils, too. There is some
      evidence both ways. I really don't know what the scientific stuff
      behind this is, so I cover all the bases and give Widgie a rotation
      of oils, including Merritt Naturals Animal Essentials fatty acid
      supp, and an organic flax oil supp. I have also used Derm Caps in the
      past. I do see a difference in her fur and whether it's the flax or
      the Animal Essentials which contains fish oils, I can't say.

      The one oil I would not use is the cod liver oil because of the
      danger of overdosing the A. Many of the pet supplement companies now
      market fatty acid supps, so there are many to choose from. EFA's are
      good for the heart and for asthma. There have been some recent
      articles about the benefits of fish oil for the heart. But you'd want
      to use a fish body oil, not the liver oil.