Re: [FH] Vaccinations for an HCM kitty?

  • szegatti
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2, 2002
      I'm a bit late on this topic but just wanted to get some advice. I
      went through the archives and read posts on vaccinations for an HCM
      kitty. My kitty is early HCM (the vet doesn't have him on anything
      but CoQ10 and extra Taurine, fish oil so far).

      I live in the country and Spanky was a stray when he found us -- he
      had distemper and an infection. He has always gone outside before we
      found out he had early HCM back in December - in fact, he totally
      trashed the house when we kept him inside - pulled blinds down,
      scratched up all the furniture and started biting me in the legs when
      I'd walk past him - very naughty.

      I have drastically curtailed his outdoor activity and try to supervise
      him when he's out but he is approximately 5 yrs old, feisty,
      rambunctious and sometimes sneaks away albeit not very far. We have a
      feral cat who roams around also from time to time as well as raccoons
      and squirrels that grace my back porch and look in through the screen
      door. I have had bats come down my wood stove pipe and fly around my
      house. These are a few reasons why I will definitely vaccinate Spanky
      for rabies (my vet advised against Rabies and other vaccines for my 18
      yr old CRF kitty - I believe she's had enough vaccines in her life to
      have built up immunity).

      Since Spanky also had distemper, I am leaning toward the distemper
      combo. He also has gotten the feline leukemia vax for the past 4 yrs.
      The vet wouldn't comment without me making an appt at the time because
      she was busy and he is seeing a different vet for his appt. If there
      is any other info you can provide to help me with this decision, that
      would be helpful. His appt is in a few weeks. My friend who recently
      lost her 2 yr old Ragdoll kitty to advanced HCM swears that the
      vaccines he had weeks before killed him.

      Purrs,
      Stacy, Spanky and Keesa

      --- In feline-heart@y..., CatWoman <diana@w...> wrote:

      > CatWoman wrote:
      > >
      > > Cynthia Rausch wrote:
      > > >
      > > > marcijoy2002 wrote:
      > > > I don't know about the exemption for sick animals. However, if
      your
      > > > cat bites someone, and there is no proof of rabies vaccine, the
      cat
      > > > may not just be quarantined but killed. Rabies is detected by
      looking
      > > > at brain tissue.
      > > >
      > > > I hardly think a sick cat with heart ideas will be in any
      position
      > > > to contract rabies... Of course I'm assuming caring owners of
      sick
      > > > cats would not leave a sick cat outside to fend for themselves.

    • Jan
      Message 2 of 17 , May 2, 2002
        My Pretty Girl went blind 3 wks after her vaccines, and died less than 2
        months later. She had CHF and CRF, but we did not know it before.
        Jan

        http://joekopecky.homestead.com
        http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html