Diabetes from heart meds?

  • marcijoy2002
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 10:41 AM
      I have cat that is diabetic, so I test Morris' blood glucose as a
      control. I've noticed that since we started him on his meds, his
      blood glucose levels have risen about 30%. Still way too low to
      consider him anywhere near diabetic, but this still concerns me.
      Currently, Morris is on 6.25 mg Lasix once a day and 7.5 mg cardizem
      twice a day. I know the Lasix will raise the blood glucose; I don't
      recall about the cardizem. These are just starting doses since Morris
      was first diagnosed; I have a feeling the doses will be raised,
      meaning a greater effect on blood glucose level.

      Have any cats developed diabetes as a result of taking their heart
      meds? That would just create more problems with kidney/liver, etc.
      Do any of you watch your cats' carbohydrate intake to try to prevent
      diabetes? Morris is already on a "diabetic diet" because of my
      diabetic cat, so at least we are ahead of the game in that respect.

      Marcia and Morris
    • marcijoy2002
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 11:04 AM
        Originally, the cardiologist wanted Morris on 12.5mg Lasix twice a
        day. However, I was concerned because he started drinking tons of
        water and would not eat solid food, only drink the juice from the
        canned food. I spoke to my regular vet (my exact words were "he's
        drinking like a diabetic") and we agreed to cut the dose in half. Now
        he is back to eating normally and only drinking a little more water
        than usual. But I thought the excessive drinking was because he was
        getting dehydrated and I was concerned about potassium loss. Perhaps
        he was drinking so much because of the effect on blood glucose?

        But he is still making breathing sounds so I know he is still clogged
        with fluid. Though he seems better than when he was on no meds at all.

        Marcia and Morris

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "marcijoy2002" <foxfried@h...> wrote:
        > I have cat that is diabetic, so I test Morris' blood glucose as a
        > control. I've noticed that since we started him on his meds, his
        > blood glucose levels have risen about 30%. Still way too low to
        > consider him anywhere near diabetic, but this still concerns me.
        > Currently, Morris is on 6.25 mg Lasix once a day and 7.5 mg
        cardizem
        > twice a day. I know the Lasix will raise the blood glucose; I don't
        > recall about the cardizem. These are just starting doses since
        Morris
        > was first diagnosed; I have a feeling the doses will be raised,
        > meaning a greater effect on blood glucose level.
        >
        > Have any cats developed diabetes as a result of taking their heart
        > meds? That would just create more problems with kidney/liver, etc.
        > Do any of you watch your cats' carbohydrate intake to try to
        prevent
        > diabetes? Morris is already on a "diabetic diet" because of my
        > diabetic cat, so at least we are ahead of the game in that respect.
        >
        > Marcia and Morris
      • Lynnie Henderson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2 11:22 AM
          > These are just starting doses since Morris
          > was first diagnosed; I have a feeling the doses will be raised,
          > meaning a greater effect on blood glucose level

          I don't know about the other drug, but the Lasix dose tends to be reduced
          after excess fluids are clear. The vet usually wants to keep it as low as
          possible since it's a diuretic.