Re diltazem and lotensine

  • Judy Eastwood
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2000
      snip ...

      Since it was so early on, and we were unable to tell how he was doing
      (we almost had him put down on 12/3 because the Diltiazem (generic
      Cardizem) was making him sick to his stomach),

      Saki-San was given 1/4 diltiazem 2 x daily for 3 days then 1/2 2 x day and he was knocked for a loop. Just plain lethargic, poor guy loves to take walks with me outdoors and all he could manage was a few steps before a long rest. His appetite lessened and a little vomiting when we went to the 1/2 tab. I called the cardiologist who took him off completely, he bounced back a few days later, then was started on 1/4 lotensine every other day. He's doing well and his bp came down to 130 from 150-160. I can't get an answer (so far) about the extreme dosages. But was told the 2 drugs are very similar, diltiazem being stronger. If these drugs are effective in slowing the progression of HCM I would like the best balance, but am now on hold to see if his next 3 weeks will be as good as the past 2 on lotensine before its a 1/4 daily dose. (sorry this is long)

      Judy and Saki-San

      Visit with Saki-San and Koko-Puss at:
      http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/judeast?d&.flabel=fld3&.src=ph