Re: [FH] Vaccinations for an HCM kitty?

  • Laura Penny
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 11, 2002
      We only vaccinate for rabies because it is required in our state and present
      in our area. However, my cats received leukemia and distemper/respiratory
      shots for 14 years, so we believe they have built up immunities by now. The
      main reason we don't vaccinate is because of the threat of
      vaccine-associated sarcoma.

      I'm sure lots of other people have thoughts on this.

      Laura

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 11, 2002
        This is the only shot Freckles got this year, too. Besides the registration
        requirement, my vet made the point that if Freckles bites or scratches
        someone (which old and/or ill kitties tend to do) and doesn't have a current
        rabies vac, she will have to be quarantined outside the home. Not only would
        that be upsetting, but for a cat with heart probs, it could be fatal. If she
        has a rabies vac, even if the city requests quarantine she will be allowed
        to be at home. The likelihood of that scenario is not too high, but I kind
        of felt like it was okay to give her that one shot. We didn't do the rest.

        > We only vaccinate for rabies because it is required in our state and present
        > in our area.
      • Anyes Moscrip
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 11, 2002
          Lynnie Henderson wrote:

          > This is the only shot Freckles got this year, too. Besides the registration
          > requirement, my vet made the point that if Freckles bites or scratches
          > someone (which old and/or ill kitties tend to do) and doesn't have a current
          > rabies vac, she will have to be quarantined outside the home. Not only would
          > that be upsetting, but for a cat with heart probs, it could be fatal. If she
          > has a rabies vac, even if the city requests quarantine she will be allowed
          > to be at home. The likelihood of that scenario is not too high, but I kind
          > of felt like it was okay to give her that one shot. We didn't do the rest.
          >
          > > We only vaccinate for rabies because it is required in our state and present
          > > in our area.

          It is my understanding that in most states you can get an exemption for a sick or
          allergic animal, esp. an indoor one. Your vet has to fill out a form to record
          this.
          Our kitty was very allergic to vaccines and this is per our vet in Ga.

          Anyes and the girls
        • Anyes Moscrip
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 11, 2002
            Laura Penny wrote:

            > We only vaccinate for rabies because it is required in our state and present
            > in our area. However, my cats received leukemia and distemper/respiratory
            > shots for 14 years, so we believe they have built up immunities by now. The
            > main reason we don't vaccinate is because of the threat of
            > vaccine-associated sarcoma.

            Sick animals should never be vaccinated and it is on the labels on all
            manufacturers labels. Also, the 3 big feline medical associations recommend
            vaccinations every 3 years only.

            Anyes and the girls

            In 1998, the American Association of Feline Practitioners
            published an official report compiled by an expert panel
            recommending that yearly re-vaccination be reconsidered. For
            viral diseases that induce long lasting immunity, it's
            recommended that vaccines be done only every 3 years in cats.
            The American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine and the
            American Animal Hospital Assocation endorsed the
            recommendation, and some veterinary schools began recommending 3
            year vaccine intervals for both dogs and cats (excepting
            those vaccines that are known to have short durations of immunity,
            such as feline leukemia vaccine, leptospirosis, kennel
            cough).

            http://www.altvetmed.com/vaccine.html
          • marcijoy2002
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 12, 2002
              I don't know about the exemption for sick animals. However, if your
              cat bites someone, and there is no proof of rabies vaccine, the cat
              may not just be quarantined but killed. Rabies is detected by looking
              at brain tissue.

              Do you think vaccinations could have weakend Morris' immune system
              which contributed to his HCM? I think his breathing noises might
              have started to get worse after his last round of shots. But he is 15
              years old and has been getting a full set of shots every year with no
              problem, so why now?

              I will see what the vet says the next time Morris is due for shots.

              Marcia

              --- In feline-heart@y..., Anyes Moscrip <anyes@i...> wrote:

              > Lynnie Henderson wrote:
              >
              > > This is the only shot Freckles got this year, too. Besides the
              registration
              > > requirement, my vet made the point that if Freckles bites or
              scratches
              > > someone (which old and/or ill kitties tend to do) and doesn't
              have a current
              > > rabies vac, she will have to be quarantined outside the home. Not
              only would
              > > that be upsetting, but for a cat with heart probs, it could be
              fatal. If she
              > > has a rabies vac, even if the city requests quarantine she will
              be allowed
              > > to be at home. The likelihood of that scenario is not too high,
              but I kind
              > > of felt like it was okay to give her that one shot. We didn't do
              the rest.

              > > > We only vaccinate for rabies because it is required in our
              state and present
              > > > in our area.
              >
              > It is my understanding that in most states you can get an exemption
              for a sick or
              > allergic animal, esp. an indoor one. Your vet has to fill out a
              form to record
              > this.
              > Our kitty was very allergic to vaccines and this is per our vet in
              Ga.

              > Anyes and the girls
            • Cynthia Rausch
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 12, 2002
                marcijoy2002 wrote:
                I don't know about the exemption for sick animals. However, if your
                cat bites someone, and there is no proof of rabies vaccine, the cat
                may not just be quarantined but killed. Rabies is detected by looking
                at brain tissue.

                I hardly think a sick cat with heart ideas will be in any position
                to contract rabies... Of course I'm assuming caring owners of sick
                cats would not leave a sick cat outside to fend for themselves.

                Annual booster shots? Here is an interesting link on Vaccines.
                http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/common/vaccinations.html

                Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel
              • Lynnie Henderson
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 12, 2002
                  > It is my understanding that in most states you can get an exemption for a sick
                  > or allergic animal, esp. an indoor one.  Your vet has to fill out a form to
                  > record this.

                  Makes sense. I'm in Texas, though, and the state tends to be kind
                  of...well...set in its ways. At least that's true in Dallas. I kind of
                  understand, though, because the stray population is way out of control.
                • CatWoman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 12, 2002
                    Cynthia Rausch wrote:

                    > marcijoy2002 wrote:
                    > I don't know about the exemption for sick animals. However, if your
                    > cat bites someone, and there is no proof of rabies vaccine, the cat
                    > may not just be quarantined but killed. Rabies is detected by looking
                    > at brain tissue.
                    >
                    > I hardly think a sick cat with heart ideas will be in any position
                    > to contract rabies... Of course I'm assuming caring owners of sick
                    > cats would not leave a sick cat outside to fend for themselves.

                    No - they're not likely to contract it. Any owner who is *aware*
                    of the heart problem is probably keeping the cat in.

                    The problem is - if someone comes to your house - *ANY* person -
                    friend, neighbor, stranger, relative - *ANYONE*, and they do
                    something that causes the cat to bite them - provoked or not -
                    the law says that the bite has to be reported.

                    In *most* areas, a quarantine is enough - and it's required even
                    *IF* the cat is current on their rabies. However, if your cat is
                    *not* current, in some areas the animal must *IMMEDAIATELY* be
                    killed and tested (becuase rabies is so prevalent, and the shots
                    for the *person* have to begin immediately to be effective.

                    Marin County just had two confirmed rabid bats. One person, at
                    least, died from rabies from one of the bats. I'd assume a bat
                    could fly the distance of the Golden Gate Bridge - so that means
                    that San Francisco and the Peninsula are not protected from the
                    disease. So - I get mine their rabies shots. I do not expect
                    them to *get* rabies - I don't want them killed if some idiot
                    provokes them into biting.

                    Also - *all* mammals are able to contract the disease. There is
                    no area that is completely free of mice, squirrels, gophers, rats,
                    and other mammals - not just bats. Which could get in to your
                    house. Where your inside cats can get to it. And get bitten.
                    And contract the disease.

                    Diana
                  • CatWoman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 12, 2002
                      CatWoman wrote:

                      > Cynthia Rausch wrote:
                      > >
                      > > marcijoy2002 wrote:
                      > > I don't know about the exemption for sick animals. However, if your
                      > > cat bites someone, and there is no proof of rabies vaccine, the cat
                      > > may not just be quarantined but killed. Rabies is detected by looking
                      > > at brain tissue.
                      > >
                      > > I hardly think a sick cat with heart ideas will be in any position
                      > > to contract rabies... Of course I'm assuming caring owners of sick
                      > > cats would not leave a sick cat outside to fend for themselves.
                      >
                      > No - they're not likely to contract it. Any owner who is *aware*
                      > of the heart problem is probably keeping the cat in.
                      >
                      > The problem is - if someone comes to your house - *ANY* person -
                      > friend, neighbor, stranger, relative - *ANYONE*, and they do
                      > something that causes the cat to bite them - provoked or not -
                      > the law says that the bite has to be reported.
                      >
                      > In *most* areas, a quarantine is enough - and it's required even
                      > *IF* the cat is current on their rabies. However, if your cat is
                      > *not* current, in some areas the animal must *IMMEDAIATELY* be
                      > killed and tested (becuase rabies is so prevalent, and the shots
                      > for the *person* have to begin immediately to be effective.
                      >
                      > Marin County just had two confirmed rabid bats. One person, at
                      > least, died from rabies from one of the bats. I'd assume a bat
                      > could fly the distance of the Golden Gate Bridge - so that means
                      > that San Francisco and the Peninsula are not protected from the
                      > disease. So - I get mine their rabies shots. I do not expect
                      > them to *get* rabies - I don't want them killed if some idiot
                      > provokes them into biting.
                      >
                      > Also - *all* mammals are able to contract the disease. There is
                      > no area that is completely free of mice, squirrels, gophers, rats,
                      > and other mammals - not just bats. Which could get in to your
                      > house. Where your inside cats can get to it. And get bitten.
                      > And contract the disease.
                      >
                      > Diana
                    • marcijoy2002
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 12, 2002
                        Just wanted to say that I agree with Catwoman on this. (I'm not the
                        one who wrote about a cat with a heart condition not being in a
                        condition to contract rabies.) Sometimes you can't prevent your cat
                        biting someone; sometimes you can't prevent your cat from getting
                        bitten. (What if a rabid squirrel were to come inside your house?)

                        In addition, while we wouldn't let a cat with a heart condition fend
                        for itself, we do have to let them out the front door (supervised, of
                        course) occasionally, for vet visits, for example.

                        Personally, I have traveled with my cats in the past, and once we get
                        Morris settled on his medications, I plan to travel with them again.
                        (We'll need an extra car just for the meds, stethoscope, insulin and
                        syringes for my other cat, etc.).

                        Marcia and Morris

                        --- In feline-heart@y..., CatWoman <diana@w...> wrote:
                        > CatWoman wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Cynthia Rausch wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > marcijoy2002 wrote:
                        > > > I don't know about the exemption for sick animals. However, if
                        your
                        > > > cat bites someone, and there is no proof of rabies vaccine, the
                        cat
                        > > > may not just be quarantined but killed. Rabies is detected by
                        looking
                        > > > at brain tissue.
                        > > >
                        > > > I hardly think a sick cat with heart ideas will be in any
                        position
                        > > > to contract rabies... Of course I'm assuming caring owners of
                        sick
                        > > > cats would not leave a sick cat outside to fend for themselves.
                        > >
                        > > No - they're not likely to contract it. Any owner who is *aware*
                        > > of the heart problem is probably keeping the cat in.
                        > >
                        > > The problem is - if someone comes to your house - *ANY* person -
                        > > friend, neighbor, stranger, relative - *ANYONE*, and they do
                        > > something that causes the cat to bite them - provoked or not -
                        > > the law says that the bite has to be reported.
                        > >
                        > > In *most* areas, a quarantine is enough - and it's required even
                        > > *IF* the cat is current on their rabies. However, if your cat is
                        > > *not* current, in some areas the animal must *IMMEDAIATELY* be
                        > > killed and tested (becuase rabies is so prevalent, and the shots
                        > > for the *person* have to begin immediately to be effective.
                        > >
                        > > Marin County just had two confirmed rabid bats. One person, at
                        > > least, died from rabies from one of the bats. I'd assume a bat
                        > > could fly the distance of the Golden Gate Bridge - so that means
                        > > that San Francisco and the Peninsula are not protected from the
                        > > disease. So - I get mine their rabies shots. I do not expect
                        > > them to *get* rabies - I don't want them killed if some idiot
                        > > provokes them into biting.
                        > >
                        > > Also - *all* mammals are able to contract the disease. There is
                        > > no area that is completely free of mice, squirrels, gophers, rats,
                        > > and other mammals - not just bats. Which could get in to your
                        > > house. Where your inside cats can get to it. And get bitten.
                        > > And contract the disease.
                        > >
                        > > Diana
                      • Lynnie Henderson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 12, 2002
                          > In addition, while we wouldn't let a cat with a heart condition fend
                          > for itself, we do have to let them out the front door (supervised, of
                          > course) occasionally, for vet visits, for example.

                          Yes - Freckles is an indoor kitty, but I used to take her and Punky with me
                          to a cabin at the lake from time to time (it has a screen porch that they
                          loved). One of those times, Freckles' carrier door came loose (one of the
                          screws fell off) and she went romping into the woods. I really thought I'd
                          lost her - it took me two hours to find her, then when I did she was in a
                          kind of cave with branches everywhere and couldn't make her way out. (Yes, I
                          know she made her way in, but you know cats.) I couldn't get through to her
                          because I didn't have anything to cut away the brush with. Finally I got the
                          brilliant idea to take a can of food out there and open it. Here she came!

                          Anyway, point is that anything can happen. Even to those of us who are very
                          protective of our kits.
                          LH
                        • Cynthia Rausch
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 12, 2002
                            CatWoman wrote:
                            The problem is - if someone comes to your house - *ANY* person -
                            friend, neighbor, stranger, relative - *ANYONE*, and they do
                            something that causes the cat to bite them - provoked or not -
                            the law says that the bite has to be reported.

                            Hi Daina,

                            Well I guess if you want to get technical it really doesn't matter
                            if you cat or dog has had the rabies shot or not, if you are bitten,
                            they can still demand to have your animal quarantined etc.

                            We have the same laws here in Canada, but I just don't see the
                            same aggression with having shots done here, as a matter of fact
                            Taffy who be 16 in July, has not received any shots since he was
                            4 years old because of his illnesses "By my own Vet approval."

                            We took Samuel into the vet about a year ago, my vet knowing fully
                            well that Samuel's 3 year rabies shots were up, he decided to try to
                            cut Samuel nails, and Samuel bit him and drew blood, I felt so
                            back and was terrified that they were going to keep him, because
                            of all the posts I read of these lists.

                            He told me he knew the reason why Samuel had bit him, it was because
                            he was scared. Further that he had, had a vaccine shot too, and
                            all his staff as well, for protection from contracting rabies.
                            Still I felt horrible the Samuel had bet him...

                            I went out and bought him a small gift for being so kind to us.

                            I don't see any common sense with how things are being approached
                            it the states.

                            However, I have been hunting down I link that I just can't seem
                            to find at the moment, from what I recall there were around 90
                            cats the had rabies last year, I just don't recall whether they
                            were feral on not..

                            If I find the link I will send it along.

                            Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel
                          • Anyes Moscrip
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 12, 2002
                              With a sick kitty, it comes down to weighing the pros and cons of vaccines.
                              I feel that a sick indoor cat is more likely to be harmed by the vaccines
                              than by a rabid bat flying through the house.

                              Anyes and the girls
                            • Diana Gregory
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 12, 2002
                                Sorry for the double posting. I had some evidence that the first message
                                had not been actually sent to the list (the test message had a 2-3
                                minute turn around, and was sent well after my first copy of the
                                message. Network glitches - love 'em...

                                dg
                              • Diana Gregory
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 12, 2002
                                  Anyes Moscrip wrote:

                                  > With a sick kitty, it comes down to weighing the pros and cons of vaccines.
                                  > I feel that a sick indoor cat is more likely to be harmed by the vaccines
                                  > than by a rabid bat flying through the house.

                                  I'm probably not being clear enough here.

                                  I agree with your last sentence.

                                  The problem is, Muffin hurts. And when he's hurting, he bites. He has
                                  bitten me hard enough to break skin a few times in his life - one reason
                                  why I stopped trying to keep him brushed.

                                  And when he bites me, the bites usually get infected. There is a
                                  specific antibiotic you have to take for a cat bite. It's very possible
                                  you could get it for another type of wound, but that wound would not
                                  *look* like a cat bite. And I don't know any doctors who will give me
                                  the antibiotics without seeing the wound. And the law is that a cat
                                  bite has to be reported. If I'm lucky, the bite does not get infected.

                                  If the cat is up to date on his rabies, then you get a nice person from
                                  animal control calling you up and checking to be sure the animal is in
                                  quarantine.

                                  If not, it is possible that the animal will be taken away from you and
                                  killed immediately to be tested for rabies.

                                  While the likelyhood of a rabid bat biting my cats is probably less than
                                  nil, the likelyhood of my cats - *ESPECIALLY* Muffin, the one with the
                                  heart problems - biting someone, probably *ME*, is rather larger. And
                                  I don't want him killed yet. So, I'm taking the chances with the shot.

                                  Diana
                                • szegatti
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                                    I'm a bit late on this topic but just wanted to get some advice. I
                                    went through the archives and read posts on vaccinations for an HCM
                                    kitty. My kitty is early HCM (the vet doesn't have him on anything
                                    but CoQ10 and extra Taurine, fish oil so far).

                                    I live in the country and Spanky was a stray when he found us -- he
                                    had distemper and an infection. He has always gone outside before we
                                    found out he had early HCM back in December - in fact, he totally
                                    trashed the house when we kept him inside - pulled blinds down,
                                    scratched up all the furniture and started biting me in the legs when
                                    I'd walk past him - very naughty.

                                    I have drastically curtailed his outdoor activity and try to supervise
                                    him when he's out but he is approximately 5 yrs old, feisty,
                                    rambunctious and sometimes sneaks away albeit not very far. We have a
                                    feral cat who roams around also from time to time as well as raccoons
                                    and squirrels that grace my back porch and look in through the screen
                                    door. I have had bats come down my wood stove pipe and fly around my
                                    house. These are a few reasons why I will definitely vaccinate Spanky
                                    for rabies (my vet advised against Rabies and other vaccines for my 18
                                    yr old CRF kitty - I believe she's had enough vaccines in her life to
                                    have built up immunity).

                                    Since Spanky also had distemper, I am leaning toward the distemper
                                    combo. He also has gotten the feline leukemia vax for the past 4 yrs.
                                    The vet wouldn't comment without me making an appt at the time because
                                    she was busy and he is seeing a different vet for his appt. If there
                                    is any other info you can provide to help me with this decision, that
                                    would be helpful. His appt is in a few weeks. My friend who recently
                                    lost her 2 yr old Ragdoll kitty to advanced HCM swears that the
                                    vaccines he had weeks before killed him.

                                    Purrs,
                                    Stacy, Spanky and Keesa

                                    --- In feline-heart@y..., CatWoman <diana@w...> wrote:

                                    > CatWoman wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Cynthia Rausch wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > marcijoy2002 wrote:
                                    > > > I don't know about the exemption for sick animals. However, if
                                    your
                                    > > > cat bites someone, and there is no proof of rabies vaccine, the
                                    cat
                                    > > > may not just be quarantined but killed. Rabies is detected by
                                    looking
                                    > > > at brain tissue.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I hardly think a sick cat with heart ideas will be in any
                                    position
                                    > > > to contract rabies... Of course I'm assuming caring owners of
                                    sick
                                    > > > cats would not leave a sick cat outside to fend for themselves.

                                  • Jan
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                                      My Pretty Girl went blind 3 wks after her vaccines, and died less than 2
                                      months later. She had CHF and CRF, but we did not know it before.
                                      Jan

                                      http://joekopecky.homestead.com
                                      http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html